end

Forum page changes?

James Markus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Forum page changes?

NightOwl Cat wrote:
but I never used the gallery function

Sorry, my mistake...the upload feature has a similar link address to the hosting gallery.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:40 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Forum page changes?

Mentioning the upload feature prompted me to roam through the upload gallery such as it is. One photo brought me to a post in MA2A that mentioned it being a TOPP and needing an image to go with it (A tradition in that thread, first post on each page needs to have an image on it) That particular post is now #14 on a different page.

Here's the post I mean
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/600984/4368#13478305

James Markus wrote:
Sorry, my mistake...the upload feature has a similar link address to the hosting gallery.

Nov 21, 2016 at 05:20 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Forum page changes?

I'm disappointed that Fred hasn't dropped by to share a comment. Of course, he can make changes to the website and has done so many times during the 12 years I've been visiting. But apart from tinkering under the hood that may enhance performance, there is generally a report or when the change affects how folks use the site there is a conversation. I mention in the latter category the changes made to the Buy and Sell forum regarding bumping of threads. There was a problem perceived by folks listing items when compatriots were having their threads bumped to the beginning of the page as friends dropped comments on the thread. Fred offered a solution that has worked quite well. All good, though as a person who enjoyed the banter happening in that forum I miss the good ole days when the West was really wild.

But this one came out of the blue... and no James, I've not tried to go back to identify which among the almost 120,000 posts are missing. I need Fred to give us some guidance. Of course, this thread was started almost three weeks ago, so Fred seems to be an absentee landlord.

I've participated on photography websites that lost their focus or so modified the terms that folks have abandoned the site. There is so much that is good on this website I can't imagine that happening here, but the reality is that change is the only thing about which we can be certain on this journey. Fred is demonstrating that fact right here, right now...

Nov 28, 2016 at 03:30 PM
kwbarnes
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Forum page changes?

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm disappointed that Fred hasn't dropped by to share a comment.(deleted)...

On Nov 15, Jim Wilson posted this in the Mustang Air to Air thread. It's probably the only answer we will ever get................

"I have been pm'ing with Fred and his take is that this is a photographic forum, if it doesn't have a photo in it, it doesn't need to be here. I guess I can't disagree with that from a business perspective, but what we do here is so much more than that, so maybe not dedicating it to our own server a long time ago was an error in judgment on my part. I think that we all know that MA2A would be a shadow of what it is, if the interpersonal relationships were left out. Makes me a little sad, but it might just be time to lock it up and go home, what say Ye?"

Nov 28, 2016 at 07:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Forum page changes?

I was hunting for something from Ray's postings, and there are definitely some missing. Unfortunately, Ray can't come back and repost and I can't ask him via PM or email. When you use the search function to search for his user name, there are 118 pages shown available to peruse. Click on #118 and you get your search returned no results, and then it shows 88 pages available. Page 88 does have threads available..

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm disappointed that Fred hasn't dropped by to share a comment. Of course, he can make changes to the website and has done so many times during the 12 years I've been visiting. But apart from tinkering under the hood that may enhance performance, there is generally a report or when the change affects how folks use the site there is a conversation. I mention in the latter category the changes made to the Buy and Sell forum regarding bumping of threads. There was a problem perceived by folks listing items when compatriots were having their threads bumped to the
...Show more

Nov 28, 2016 at 09:32 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Forum page changes?

kwbarnes wrote:
On Nov 15, Jim Wilson posted this in the Mustang Air to Air thread. It's probably the only answer we will ever get................

"I have been pm'ing with Fred and his take is that this is a photographic forum, if it doesn't have a photo in it, it doesn't need to be here. I guess I can't disagree with that from a business perspective, but what we do here is so much more than that, so maybe not dedicating it to our own server a long time ago was an error in judgment on my part. I think that we all
...Show more

I've read the thread from the beginning and know of Jim's comment, but it seems to have no relationship with reality. It is easy to go back in the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread and find inconsequential posts without photos included. There are many posts with broken links and even posts from folks who've since been banned by Fred. I see no rational explanation for why posts were removed... hence my request of Fred that he explain the method to his madness...

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:02 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Forum page changes?

Don't hold your breath, Curtis.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:50 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end