New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Forum page changes?

kwbarnes
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Forum page changes?

Was there a change made to the forum software in the last few days? Specifically has the post count per page changed?

I have a couple of "favorites" that link to specific pages within a thread. Those "favorites" are now linked to pages a 100+ pages beyond the threads current page count.

Specifically, the Mustang Air to Air thread seems to have lost a couple hundred pages within the last couple of days. I don't know about other threads, because I don't have any older pages saved as "favorites" on any other thread. I just go to the last page on most threads.

Call me curious.
Ken

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:21 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Forum page changes?

The same has happened with the longest thread on FM, the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread on the Nikon forum. I was keeping track when last I visited over a week ago because that thread was approaching 120,000 posts. We were at something like 5980 pages, or about 400 posts from that milestone. When I return I find the thread stands at 117,264 posts, or about 2,300 fewer than my last visit. What's up Fred?

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:39 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Forum page changes?

I was online Saturday morning, and the last page showed no posts whatsoever, but clicking the post reply button showed the posts. When adding the reply, the posts then showed up, but were further back in the page count.

These posts are around the time frame the glitch was noticed, if that helps..

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/5862#13799182

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/600984/4514#13799112

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/600984/4514#13799187

Nov 13, 2016 at 08:03 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Forum page changes?

Oh well.

Nov 13, 2016 at 09:05 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Forum page changes?

Actually, for the folks who contributed comments and images that are at the moment lost, this is a serious problem. I hope Fred is able to salvage what has disappeared. How about it Fred?

Nov 14, 2016 at 01:09 AM
kwbarnes
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Forum page changes?

The Mustang Air to Air thread lost approximately 376 pages (+or - 2 pages). That's over 7,500 posts.

Does anyone know how many pages were lost in the named Nikon forum?

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:50 AM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Forum page changes?

ckcarr wrote:
Oh well.

Some of the posts constitute memories, and milestones for contributors in some of the threads. While "oh well" may seem like a reasonable response to you, to those people it may not be and asking if there's a remedy is well within reason.

Nov 15, 2016 at 09:07 AM
kwbarnes
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Forum page changes?

Jim Wilson, who started the Mustang Air to Air thread, has been in contact with Fred Miranda.

This is his explanation, after talking with Fred........

Ok folks, for better or worse, here's the skinny on what happened to our thread. Apparently the powers that be decided to run a clean up script "that removed posts with no image, which weren't beneficial to the thread...."

Nov 15, 2016 at 06:43 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Forum page changes?

kwbarnes wrote:
Jim Wilson, who started the Mustang Air to Air thread, has been in contact with Fred Miranda.

This is his explanation, after talking with Fred........

Ok folks, for better or worse, here's the skinny on what happened to our thread. Apparently the powers that be decided to run a clean up script "that removed posts with no image, which weren't beneficial to the thread...."

I can understand the removal of posts with broken links but there are plenty of posts that have no image in them that are hugely beneficial to the MF thread.

After all the MF thread is in a Nikon Gear Discussion Forum/Board, not an exclusively image based presentation board such as the Landscape, Nature, Macro forums.

Andy

Nov 15, 2016 at 09:02 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Forum page changes?

I just went way back to the early days of the Mustang Air to Air thread, and there are still many posts with no photos (that never had them), as well as posts with broken photo links. So I'm not sure that script explanation is 100% accurate, or complete. Seems like something else is going on.

Mark

Nov 15, 2016 at 09:31 PM
ELinder
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Forum page changes?

I really hope thread pruning isn't going to keep happening here. I've lost track of how many old discussions that have no images I've read here. Tips, techniques, history, personal relationships, past gatherings and events, etc. This place isn't just about pretty pictures. This forum is about people and the unique things each of us bring that make Fredmiranda such a rich site and a standout amongst other forums.

I'd hate for that to change.

Erich

Nov 15, 2016 at 09:36 PM
kwbarnes
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Forum page changes?

msalvetti wrote:
I just went way back to the early days of the Mustang Air to Air thread, and there are still many posts with no photos (that never had them), as well as posts with broken photo links. So I'm not sure that script explanation is 100% accurate, or complete. Seems like something else is going on.

Mark

"that removed posts with no image, which weren't beneficial to the thread...."

Who, and what, determines "beneficial", is up for debate.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:44 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Forum page changes?

No debate at all if it's Fred making the call. Ya know "His House, his Rules" and all that. Even so,

Nov 16, 2016 at 07:38 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Forum page changes?

Forums evolve, as time goes on, with the regulars developing relationships that endure, even if they never meet one another. I've had the great fortune to have met many people from these two boards. So if all it takes is an image to be posted to keep the bot from deleting the post...

Nov 16, 2016 at 08:37 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Forum page changes?

<- hopefully emoji's will count as an image

Nov 16, 2016 at 09:10 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Forum page changes?

anthonysemone wrote:
<- hopefully emoji's will count as an image

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:24 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Forum page changes?

No doubt Fred can do whatever he wishes with this website but I hope he would be sensitive to the fact that some threads offer more information than photos, which is often the case with gear threads. This is especially true when speaking about older gear with which many folks are unfamiliar. We're eternally answering questions about specific lenses as well as how to work with them. Yes, we have some wonderful images, but what we're building on that thread, and I believe the same can be said for the Mustang Air to Air is a community of like minded folks who share passion for forms of photography that are outside the norm. It certainly would have been nice for Fred to raise the subject and give folks who spend time here an opportunity to comment on what is proposed. Come on Fred... we're all loyal fans of this site and most of us invest in subscriptions to support the site. I don't use the site for hosting and haven't listed anything to sell in years. I keep my subscription active entirely to support you. I want those posts back...

Nov 16, 2016 at 06:29 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Forum page changes?

Fred, let me echo <kwbarnes>, Curtis Grindahl and Jim Wilson, et al. ... I'm not so good at words, so let me be concise: what the hell happened here?

Nov 16, 2016 at 07:35 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Forum page changes?

Can I assume that script was only for an "image using xxx lens/camera" thread?

I'm only interested in the equipment, not people's photos other than relevant to the function and performance of the equipment.

EBH

Nov 16, 2016 at 07:42 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Forum page changes?

Manual Focus Nikon Glass
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565

Just any Nikon brand manual focus lens on a camera, nothing specific. Lots of discussions on different lenses as they become the topic in this meandering thread of whatever strikes the fancy.

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/600984

Discussion of air shows upcoming, past, air races, air to air shooting, ground to air, air to ground, photos of said subjects.

No telling how many these threads lost

Bridges of the World.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1298328

Automotive
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1173220

Signs in your city or town
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1315600

EB-1 wrote:
Can I assume that script was only for an "image using xxx lens/camera" thread?

I'm only interested in the equipment, not people's photos other than relevant to the function and performance of the equipment.

EBH

Nov 16, 2016 at 09:59 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.