New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

I have a new Leica Elmarit-R 28mm Lens i bought and every time I stick it on my 5drs I get an error that says to turn off the camera or replace the battery. Anyone know why it doesn't like this lens? It seems to work with my Summicron-r. 50mm.

Nov 12, 2016 at 03:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

Do you have chips on the adapters, or is it the same adapter?

Nov 12, 2016 at 04:29 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

Hmmm. I have the same lens and it's fine that camera. Weird.

Nov 12, 2016 at 04:55 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

No chips on the lens adapter.

jcolwell wrote:
Do you have chips on the adapters, or is it the same adapter?

Nov 12, 2016 at 05:08 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

Something's making contact with the camera contacts.

Nov 12, 2016 at 05:12 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

How do I diagnose it or figure out what or where

jcolwell wrote:
Something's making contact with the camera contacts.

Nov 12, 2016 at 05:50 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

Put some thin tape over the contacts.

Nov 12, 2016 at 05:52 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

jcolwell wrote:
Put some thin tape over the contacts.

Or use Jim's patented anulus

Nov 12, 2016 at 07:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

What is so special that deserves a patent, some kind of gasket with super duper properties?

EBH

Nov 12, 2016 at 07:19 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

I'll have to try tape. The lens/camera combo worked last weekend so I'm not sure what is going on, plus the lens contacts rotate away from the camera contacts, but I'll give it a try when I get home. Out shooting the Napa valley and funny enough the Summicron is taking photos fine, but it doesn't have any contacts.

Nov 12, 2016 at 07:51 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

I was just able to take photos with the lens on my 6D so it's odd that the 5DRS doesn't like it.

Nov 12, 2016 at 08:19 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

100µm can make a difference sometimes.
I have two 1Ds II bodies with the same firmware that should be identical, but one would work with an adapted Zeiss lens and the other would lock up.

EBH

Nov 12, 2016 at 08:27 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

Well except I bought this lens to use with this camera because of the resolution so if there is a way to cure the problem I'd love to be able to take 50mp photos with this lens. Does anyone think that if the tape doesn't work that a different lens adapter might work better? I'm wondering if an adapter with a deeper body might be better to move the rear of the lens away from the camera body?

EB-1 wrote:
100µm can make a difference sometimes.
I have two 1Ds II bodies with the same firmware that should be identical, but one would work with an adapted Zeiss lens and the other would lock up.

EBH

Nov 12, 2016 at 09:15 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

"might be better to move the rear of the lens away from the camera body?"

The adapter has to be precise in order to get infinity focus, and if you have an adapter that lets you focus past infinity, then the floating elements will be in the wrong postion, giving less then optimum quality. If the the adapter is deeper than what is required you won't be able to reach infinity focus and the floating elements will be out of wack as well. There's only one right here. You might want to contact Jim Buchanan here on FM and see if he is still selling his custom machined Canon mount that replaces the Leica one.

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:41 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

I taped two areas that could be faulting the camera AND the contacts in the camera and I'm still getting the error. I'm wondering What could be doing it given that the contacts are covered. Any ideas? Very puzzling... see photo of internal lens structure.

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:55 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

I taped two areas that could be faulting the camera AND the contacts in the camera and I'm still getting the error. I'm wondering What could be doing it given that the contacts are covered. Any ideas? Very puzzling... see photo of internal lens structure.

The lens contacts are on the opposite side of where the canon contacts come together and the other thing taped up is a bar that slides back and forth to open and close the aperature.

Isydor Samuels © 2015

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:55 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

Try an opaque masking tape. I used it on my Zuiko lens with chipped adapter and it works fine now. I should say I put the tape on the adapter not the lens.

Nov 13, 2016 at 01:07 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

For troubleshooting, it should be sufficient to tape the camera contacts.

Here's what the rare and fabled mylar anulus looks like. It's required on some older 1D-series cameras, because they have a microswitch under one of the mount bayonet tabs that gets depressed by the lens mount flange, when it's rotated to lock in the mount. When that switch is depressed, the camera expects to talk with an EF lens, and hangs when it doesn't find one. On newer cameras, the ring is sometimes required when doing something weird, like mounting an alt lens on a Canon Extender. The camera talks with the extender, but it can't find a lens, and so it doesn't want to play; it locks up when you push the shutter button.

© jcolwell 2016

Mylar anulus to insulate camera contacts, on 1D II

© jcolwell 2016

Mylar anulus to insulate camera contacts, in 1D III

Nov 13, 2016 at 08:41 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

jcolwell wrote:
For troubleshooting, it should be sufficient to tape the camera contacts.

Here's what the rare and fabled mylar anulus looks like. It's required on some older 1D-series cameras, because they have a microswitch under one of the mount bayonet tabs that gets depressed by the lens mount flange, when it's rotated to lock in the mount. When that switch is depressed, the camera expects to talk with an EF lens, and hangs when it doesn't find one. On newer cameras, the ring is sometimes required when doing something weird, like mounting an alt lens on a Canon Extender. The camera talks
...Show more

That is what is going on. It's taking a shot and locking up for a few seconds and then I get the error and no photo. Is there any way to get one of those?

Nov 13, 2016 at 01:27 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5dsr errors out with my Leica Elmarit-R

After taping the contacts try installing the lens onto the body until it clicks (locks). Then press the release button and turn the lens (as if to remove it) just a little. Then try taking a picture again. If you do not get the error, then the body has an "EOS lens mounted" feature.

Please let us know

Nov 13, 2016 at 03:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.