Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Upgrade from a 350D?

A quick side by side at the DPR...

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:13 AM
RexGig0
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Upgrade from a 350D?

I started SLR photography with a pre-owned XTi/400D, the successor of your XT. I upgraded within about two months to a pre-owned 40D, for the better handling qualities. (The 10MP sensor was the same.) I soon added a 7D, and it was a true giant step forward, compared to the XTi. I sold a watch, and bought a second 7D. (Well, the watch was scratching my photo gear, and vice versa, so the watch went away.)

I have since sold one 7D, added a pair of 7D Mark II cameras, and a 5Ds R, but in good light, and in not-so-good light, my remaining 7D still performs well. Notably, Canon used the same basic 7D 18MP sensor in several Rebel-series and other APS-C DSLRs. I strongly prefer the grip shape and controls of the 7D-/5D-series, but the sensor is the heart of the camera, where the image is made, so could make the same images with the tiny SL1 as the 7D.

Edited on Nov 14, 2016 at 07:36 AM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:45 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Upgrade from a 350D?

To qualify my earlier reply... there is no question that the other alternatives offer more features than the T6i. Context is everything here. Because our OP was apparently happy with the 350D for so long, I'm considering that possibility that some of the more advanced features of the alternatives may not be as important — and that the T6i may feel like a big step up!

YMMV,

Dan

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:54 PM
deanimator

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Upgrade from a 350D?

gdanmitchell wrote:
To qualify my earlier reply... there is no question that the other alternatives offer more features than the T6i. Context is everything here. Because our OP was apparently happy with the 350D for so long, I'm considering that possibility that some of the more advanced features of the alternatives may not be as important — and that the T6i may feel like a big step up!

YMMV,

Dan

My decision is going to be based 50% on features and 50% on cost.

Pretty much ANYTHING I get is going to be an improvement on what I have.

That having been said, I'm trying to balance the most improvement for the intended purpose that I can get against what I can afford.

Right now, that's looking like a used 60D, but that could change. Whatever I buy will probably have to last a relatively long time, so I'm not impulsively jumping at the first thing that comes along.

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:59 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Upgrade from a 350D?

deanimator wrote:
Right now, that's looking like a used 60D, but that could change. Whatever I buy will probably have to last a relatively long time, so I'm not impulsively jumping at the first thing that comes along.

There is no question that the 6D is a "step up" (heck, a "giant leap" up!) from the 350D. There is more potential system resolution in the larger sensor, greater MP resolution aside. Like al of the options, it includes a lot of technology that has been updated since the days of the 350D.

I didn't pay attention — sorry! — to what you actually photograph or what you do with your photographs, and you may already have thought of the following. However, if you are mostly making relatively small prints or mostly sharing electronic versions of your photographs, the advantages of full frame are very limited and may even turn out to be non-existent for you.

Given that cost is an issue, you might get everything you actually need from a cropped sensor camera. Another advantage may be that you already possess lenses that, I assume, work well for you on a cropped sensor camera... and they won't work the same way (and may not work at all, depending) on a full frame camera.

And good for you for resisting the lure of an impulsive decision! :-)

Good luck with your decision.

Dan

Nov 13, 2016 at 01:26 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Upgrade from a 350D?

deanimator wrote

My thinking is that buying second hand and buying obsolete models works against the plan of getting something to last for a long time, and that is before you combine those two.

Nov 13, 2016 at 01:35 PM
deanimator

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Upgrade from a 350D?

alundeb wrote:
My thinking is that buying second hand and buying obsolete models works against the plan of getting something to last for a long time, and that is before you combine those two.

The problem with that is that I'm not going to buy something I can't afford.

A used 60D is always going to give me better results than what I have now or nothing at all.

Nov 13, 2016 at 02:56 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Upgrade from a 350D?

deanimator wrote:

There is a lot of wisdom in that attitude, though hanging around here and seeing all the really expensive kit that a lot of folk buy, you can begin to feel the pressure to buy a little beyond your means just to keep up.

A used 60D is always going to give me better results than what I have now or nothing at all.

It's probably going to give you great results. I also started out with a 350D in 2006 and lived with it quite happily for 5 years. Then i bought a used 5D in 2011. That 5D is still my primary camera body, despite being probably 10 years old now. Buying used didn't shorten the lifetime of the camera for me at least. Of course much depends on the type of person you are. Many here live life on the top of the upgrade wave, changing or supplementing kit whenever something new and shiny gets released. I tend to be more content with what i have - i've bought only 2 camera bodies since 2006 (plus a fuji X10 compact that i still use too).

Nov 13, 2016 at 03:19 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Upgrade from a 350D?

deanimator wrote:

Then I would take a look at the SL1. Same sensor and same display as the 60D, but a newer processor.

Used it will cost even less than a 60D.

Nov 13, 2016 at 04:18 PM
deanimator

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Upgrade from a 350D?

alundeb wrote:
Then I would take a look at the SL1. Same sensor and same display as the 60D, but a newer processor.

Used it will cost even less than a 60D.

However, the 60D has the advantage of the articulated screen.

Nov 13, 2016 at 05:28 PM

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Upgrade from a 350D?

The 650D is not too shabby either, and has articulated screen as well.

Nov 14, 2016 at 04:47 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Upgrade from a 350D?

Snopchenko wrote:
The 650D is not too shabby either, and has articulated screen as well.

Very good suggestion.

An articulated screen is an important feature for macro work, I overlooked that about the SL1.

A used 650D is probably the most cost effective option for the essential features and that 18 MP sensor image quality. It is 2 years newer than the 60D. Between those it is mostly a question of build quality and handling.

Nov 14, 2016 at 05:22 AM
erielake
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Upgrade from a 350D?

there is currently a 60d for $300 in the B/S forum

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1453677

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:52 AM
deanimator

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Upgrade from a 350D?

I bought a T4i from B&H for under $400. Looks like it's in excellent condition.

I just need to learn the controls now. I bought a Busch field guide today. It should be here next week.

Thanks to everybody who had suggestions.

Nov 17, 2016 at 03:11 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.