FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Phottix Strato II no longer reliable

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Phottix Strato II no longer reliable

I've noticed in the last few weddings that my once-reliable phottix strato II triggers are not firing reliably anymore.

I've tested via the following:

Multiple different flashes have been tried, with multiple receivers, multiple transmitters/triggers, both directly on the hot shoe and plugged in through a hot-shoe-mounted Nikon flash. The results are consistently inconsistent now. Doesn't matter if it's a Nikon or a Canon transmitter or receiver, fresh batteries on both, the results are the same. They fire "most" times, and they fail to fire other times.

I've tried them within 3 feet of the camera and 30 feet away. The results are similar.

I'm personally suspecting interference with the frequency they send on.

Unreliability is one of the main reasons (the other reason being too many cords) why I switched trigger systems a long time ago, but that's always expensive.

Has anyone had better reliability with another brand?

Nov 12, 2016 at 09:33 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Phottix Strato II no longer reliable

Were you by chance under metal ceilings? That is the only place where I had to baby them. Usually, dropping the stand 6-12" fixed the issue, or just moving the stand.

Nov 12, 2016 at 09:38 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Phottix Strato II no longer reliable

No, the next-to-last time was at Maggiano's inside a room with lots of wood and some glass (never a problem before), and last night was....a Westin, in what I would describe as a fairly spacious room with a combination of materials used for the ceiling that might include metal patterning, concrete/drywall/wood, etc.

Nov 12, 2016 at 09:54 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Phottix Strato II no longer reliable

If its a frequency problem not sure how switching to another trigger is going to help you as most other triggers use that frequency...they are on 2.4 GHz - same as bluetooth, cell phones, WiFi...

Some older triggers use 433 Mhz but that's really reserved for HAM radios in North America.

Pocket Wizards are on 340 Mhz in North America

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:23 AM
azmerm

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Phottix Strato II no longer reliable

Just out of curiosity are you using them on a D750? I've had problems with the Phottix on that hotshoe and not on other cameras.

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:40 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Phottix Strato II no longer reliable

Yes I am using them on D750s, but I get similar results using them directly on the camera hot shoe vs using them through the flash pc sync port (never have misfires of the mounted flashes) of my SB800 and SB910.

Nov 12, 2016 at 02:16 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.