New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Adapter for Pentacon 50/1.8

DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adapter for Pentacon 50/1.8

I'm getting a Pentacon 50/1.8 for the lovely, funky bokeh that it can do on flowers and foliage. It has an M42 screw mount, and I need to decide on an adapter.

Any experiences here? I can use an M42 to Sony E-mount adapter (for A7RII), or a Canon EOS mount adapter (for 5DSR, or for Metabones IV on the A7RII). Reading the reviews at B&H and Amazon for various adapters (Fotodiox, etc.), they're a mixed bag and sometimes have had issues with them.

If anyone has used a given adapter with success (or not), I'd love to hear about it. Any general comments about the lens that I should also keep in mind would be helpful! Thanks.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:40 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adapter for Pentacon 50/1.8

I use the black, rimless Fotodiox M42 to EOS adapter on most of my M42 lenses. I bought three of them in 2012, and they're all still fine.

My Pentacon 50/1.8 is in Pentax-K mount. If yours has an Auto/Man switch for the aperture control, like mine does, then you also want the rimless adapter. The older style, rimmed adapter is for M42 lenses with only an aperture-activation pin on the bottom, and no switch. An alternative approach with the yes-pin, no-switch lenses is to glue down the aperture control pin.

Nov 12, 2016 at 02:16 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adapter for Pentacon 50/1.8

Thanks! Looks like this one has an auto/manual switch; I see a red "M" below the aperture ring. Here's the Ebay listing for the one that's on the way:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152281487649?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The rimless Fotodiox is the one that B&H currently sells for $9.95, correct? (No focus confirmation chip; I don't need that)

Nov 12, 2016 at 02:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adapter for Pentacon 50/1.8

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
Thanks! Looks like this one has an auto/manual switch; I see a red "M" below the aperture ring. Here's the Ebay listing for the one that's on the way:

Yes. If you push the switch in the other direction, you'll see a white "A".

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
The rimless Fotodiox is the one that B&H currently sells for $9.95, correct? (No focus confirmation chip; I don't need that)

That's probably it. I don't use FC chips, either.

Nov 12, 2016 at 03:05 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adapter for Pentacon 50/1.8

Thanks again!

Nov 12, 2016 at 03:15 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.