Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Best fast (f/1.4-1.8) non-huge 24-28mm prime for A7RII?

asiafish
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best fast (f/1.4-1.8) non-huge 24-28mm prime for A7RII?

Luvwine wrote:
Leica 28 Summilux is likely best.

The Leica is likely the best lens, but many wides don't get along well with non-Leica cameras due to the lack of angled micro lenses.

For Sony I'd recommend adapting an SLR lens. Canon's 24/1.4 L II is excellent, and I'm sure the equivalent from Nikon is also good.

Nov 20, 2016 at 02:05 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best fast (f/1.4-1.8) non-huge 24-28mm prime for A7RII?

artur5 wrote:
I would be a bit cautious before getting a RF wide for Sony A7 cameras. In spite of modern Leica designs being more friendly towards digital sensors than the classic lenses of the film era, I expect that corner smearing still will play a negative role in the final result. IMHO, to get such a magnificent but expensive beast like a Lux 24/28 and having to cope with less than optimal edges/corners seems to be a waste, specially if you want it for landscape shooting.

See my thread comparing the 28 lux to the 28 Otus. You aren't giving up much of anything on the A7rII. The 28 lux does quite well from f/4 (maybe f/5.6 if you are picky) even at infinity. And closer in it does quite well. I don't feel I have to cope with less than optimal edges/corner, but that is with my usage, YMMV of course.

Nov 20, 2016 at 02:18 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best fast (f/1.4-1.8) non-huge 24-28mm prime for A7RII?

asiafish wrote:
The Leica is likely the best lens, but many wides don't get along well with non-Leica cameras due to the lack of angled micro lenses.

For Sony I'd recommend adapting an SLR lens. Canon's 24/1.4 L II is excellent, and I'm sure the equivalent from Nikon is also good.

I am quite familiar with issues adapting RF wides. I do own the Leica M 28/1.4 and it works very well indeed. Wide open at infinity I expect it would be better on an M body, but on the A7r2, it is really good from wide open at close range and works well for landscapes at F5.6 for sure. I can post images (and have previously). You might want to check the lens rental blog for comparisons of all the RF wides on M body versus A7r2. The Leica WATE, and 21 and 28 Summiluxes do very well.

Nov 20, 2016 at 04:21 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best fast (f/1.4-1.8) non-huge 24-28mm prime for A7RII?

Here is a shot with the 28 Lux ASPH on the A7rII with the Hawk's helicoid adapter. You can shoot remarkably close with this combination and I am liking the results very much. The lens seems to hold up to the extension very well.

Edit: I added the same scene below at MFD without the helicoid extension. The difference in the magnification is massive as you will see. This scene is also a good example of the bokeh with a close busy background. Some might not like it, but I find it to be pretty nice. This is of course quite subjective.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:35 PM
asiafish
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best fast (f/1.4-1.8) non-huge 24-28mm prime for A7RII?

Luvwine wrote:
I am quite familiar with issues adapting RF wides. I do own the Leica M 28/1.4 and it works very well indeed. Wide open at infinity I expect it would be better on an M body, but on the A7r2, it is really good from wide open at close range and works well for landscapes at F5.6 for sure. I can post images (and have previously). You might want to check the lens rental blog for comparisons of all the RF wides on M body versus A7r2. The Leica WATE, and 21 and 28 Summiluxes do very well.

I don't use a Sony anymore, so the issue of which lenses adapt well and which don't is not important to me. I use RF lenses on a Leica only and Canon and a bunch of adapted vintage lenses on a Canon 5D3 where there are no issues of the lens being close to the sensor.

The issue of using RF wides on Sony (and other mirrorless) is well documented, and the general consensus is that some lenses are better than others.

Nov 21, 2016 at 01:02 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best fast (f/1.4-1.8) non-huge 24-28mm prime for A7RII?

asiafish wrote:
I don't use a Sony anymore, so the issue of which lenses adapt well and which don't is not important to me. I use RF lenses on a Leica only and Canon and a bunch of adapted vintage lenses on a Canon 5D3 where there are no issues of the lens being close to the sensor.

The issue of using RF wides on Sony (and other mirrorless) is well documented, and the general consensus is that some lenses are better than others.

There is actually a very detailed threat in the alt lens forum here that examines the performance of many RF wides (and normal and tele) lenses on several versions of the Sony A7 series cameras including cameras that have been modified with a thinner sensor cover. Yes, it is true that lenses vary a great deal, but some do very well indeed on the Sony A7 cameras. The 28 lux ASPH does quite well on at the A7rII, so I think the OP should consider it, but it is of course a very expensive lens.

Nov 21, 2016 at 01:41 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.