Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

PhotoMaximum
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

Hi All,

I have been away from FM for a LONG time. Life stuff, new house project and stepping back from shooting, etc. But I am slowly getting the itch again. Used to post here a lot.

I have a couple of older Canon bodies (5D Mk II mainly) and a lot of lenses. I have three Canon TS-E lenses, several Canon L zooms and an older EF 400/2.8, etc. I also was heavily into alt lenses that I used with my Canon bodies: Minolta Rokkors (21/2.8, 35/1.8, 58/1.2) that have been successfully converted to the EF mount. I also have several classic Pentax and Olympus Zuiko lenses that have simple but effective adapters to the EF mount.

I love the IQ from the new 17/4 TS-E and the 24/2.8 TS-E II used on the Canon body. I really enjoy the Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 but to be honest manually focusing these lenses is sort of frustrating. You think you are getting good sharpness but once opened in Photoshop some of the files are soft. When the image is sharp the results are amazing but the focus fail ratio is too high. I still prefer using a viewfinder up to my eye over looking at the back of an LCD screen in LiveView. I hear the electronic eye viewfinder on the new Sony bodies is really good?

Getting to my question (finally): Does getting one of the top of the line Sony bodies (a7R II) plus some adaptor make better sense than getting a new 5D mk IV for manually focusing my TS-Es and manual alt lenses? What about my auto focus Canon EF lenses? I am not sure I want to start investing in a lot of new Sony lenses. The camera alone costs serious money.

Another way of asking this question: what is the very best Canon EF to Sony adapter on the market?

Thanks to all. It feels good to be back...

Max

Nov 11, 2016 at 03:52 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

I don't have and have not used an A7Rii.

I do have an A7s and had an original A7 and I love using FF Sony's with Canon lenses.

There are lots of smart adapters ranging from cheap (well under $100 US) to expensive.

For the TS-E lenses, you might be better off with a Metabones iv or whatever the latest is.

The Metabones adapters have a USB port for updates while the cheaper adapters don't.

Some adapters also have a larger "hole" to accommodate shifting better (MB iv again).

Some people have reflection issues with the 17 TS-E on an A7Rii. Can not say I have had any issue on my A7s (or A7 before) and to me at least, the TS-E's are BETTER on Sony FF E mount than current Canon DSLRs (at the very least they are MUCH easier to use and the second gen cameras are stabilized as well).

AF for me with EF lenses on my adapters on my cameras is very slow but ok for patient people or ducks on a pond or static subjects (AFS only for me on the first gen cameras).

On a camera like the A7Rii, AF is supposed to be much better with most adapters I think.

I am very happy with Canon lenses on my A7s.

Canon lenses I use/used on FF E mount-

17 TS-E simply my favourite lens.

24 TS-E ii Loved it but sold it as I wasn't using it as much as the 17

20-35 2.8 L Ancient old L zoom. Ok but is broken now needing a fix.

40 2.8 STM One of the best value lenses going in any mount

100 EF f2 USM Just got this and love it.

135 f2 L Loved this but sold it as I needed the money and was a bit long at some venues

150 2.8 APO Sigma Kept this instead of the 135 but it is manual focus only really for me on Sony (plays up on all my adapters except one that stopped auto focusing altogether but in so doing works better for MF).

100-300 5.6 EF L Another ancient lens since sold. Optically ok but too slow to AF on the Sony's.

18-55 IS ii APSC kit lens. An absolute bargain I traded a Nikon kit lens for. It covers FF from about 24mm up (as well as being usable in APSC mode). Just a cheap almost disposable lens that is nice to have around. Helps it is stabilized for me but not an issue/needed on the second gen cameras.

Just got an ancient 28-90 EOS film camera kit lens and even it works for slow AF (this one IS disposable).

I should say I also use many of the lenses on my M4/3 camera and Kipon smart adapter where the AF is fast (AFS only).

Oh, I would also look at getting at least ONE native AF lens (the little 55 1.8 is a beauty).

17 TS-E

EF 100 f2 USM Arna Georgia

Edited on Nov 11, 2016 at 04:46 PM · View previous versions

Nov 11, 2016 at 04:29 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

Thanks for the detailed reply! Nice images by the way.

I also have the EF 100/2. This is a sleeper lens that really delivers L lens quality. I used to be a daily newspaper shooter and that lens was my indoor high school basketball lens of choice.

I am currently looking into short term rental options. It would be nice to try out the A7RII w/adaptor first before plunging in with the purchase...

Nov 11, 2016 at 04:46 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

I am also using a bunch of Canon and Alt lenses, especially Canon TSE lenses. Even they can be well used on a Canon camera body, using them on a Sony A7 series camera is much easier IMO due to the following reasons:

+ Focusing: Focus peaking and focus magnification allow better certainty of accurate MF
+ Tilting/Shifting: here the EVF has a big advantage over a DSLR - you actually see the effect of the tilt better than in the DSLR's LiveView. You also have it easier to combine tilt with shift movements
+ For close-up work: I achieved TSE close-up effects with my A7R plus 90/2.8 TSE, teleconverter, macro tube, and adapter which I didn't get as easily on my 5D MkII. This is caused by a combination of points mentioned above - EVF and TSE effects simply work nice together!

I am still using the Metabones III adapter which is not flocked to avoid potential internal reflections (The Metabones IV is flocked). So far I never had a problem with this internal reflection issue. My favorite and most often used TSE is the 24/3.5 II lens.

Nov 11, 2016 at 06:47 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

Good points, thanks.

I hope to rent the Sony AR7II w/ Metabones IV next weekend. $125 fee (Friday PM - Monday AM).

I have too many lenses and plan on thinning the list down to a set I would actually use.

Lenses I want to test with the Sony:

Canon 17 TSE
Canon 24 TSE II
Canon 24-105/4 L
Canon 16-35/2.8 L
Canon 70-200/2.8 L
Canon 100/2
Minolta Rokkor 21/2.8, 35/1.8. and most importantly 58/1.2
Pentax 50/1.4 Tak
Olympus 24/2.8

I really like the performance and focus feel on the Rokkor 35/1.8. Jim Buchanan did a great job with this difficult conversion, but I do not get focus at infinity with a full frame Canon. I hope the Sony might work better and give me more accurate manual focus accuracy?

I will be sure to post my test thoughts after I return the rental to Glazers Camera in Seattle...

Edited on Nov 12, 2016 at 02:03 AM · View previous versions

Nov 11, 2016 at 08:11 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

I would also rent the 55 1.8 Sony Zeiss if possible.

THEN compare it to the 58 1.2 and 50 1.4.

I think you might forget all about the two adapted near normals then (though others will differ).

Be interested to see how you go with sensor flare and the TS-E's.

55 and FE kit lens (not the best match for the A7Rii but a nice kit lens) are my two native lenses with my Canon and other adapted lenses.

Nov 11, 2016 at 08:39 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

Noted, thanks.

I need to figure out what lenses I actually need to use, keep for old times sake and which to let go.

The 58/1.2 is just an old friend. I was one of the early guys who started using this lens on the Canon body, here and at other sites. Cogitech, (spelling?) was one of the leading forces behind that lens here at FM. I think he is gone now? I then became one of the main moderators and contributors at the older version of Cinema5d.com, a popular site for film makers, etc. Lots of discussion about using classic 35mm camera lenses for film making. This was all when the 5D Mk II hit the scene. In fact the name I used back then was "58mm Rokkor". All ancient history now...

Nov 12, 2016 at 02:13 AM
Alexluu627
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

Sony A7r mark ii is the real canon 5d mark iv haha.

Nov 12, 2016 at 08:27 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

I found manual focus so easy on the Sony's I dumped all my AF stuff, granted some situations it's harder(action), but for the most part, I can nail the plane of focus like I never could with an optical VF or AF.

Nov 13, 2016 at 05:01 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

'I can nail the plane of focus like I never could with an optical VF or AF.'

So true, and makes even difficult to focus lenses, like slow zooms, an easy task. It's quite rejuvenated the use of MF lenses, and I believe it will also make MF lens makers pay more attention to improve focus ring actuation and focus ring rotation optimization. The percentage of manual focus lens users may rise substantially in time, maybe already has. EVF sits at the top of the feature set for Sony cameras, it's the 'killer app'.

Nov 13, 2016 at 05:57 AM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

Good stuff!

This is becoming a rabbit hole. My old mac Pro is now showing its age. I just ordered a new 27" 5K Retina iMac. I was hoping that Apple was going to announce a new iMac last month, but oh well. Wonder if I will miss my 30" Apple Cinema Display?

It will be interesting to compare handling, focusing and the files between the Canon 5d mk IV and the Sony a7R II...

Nov 13, 2016 at 05:20 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

philip_pj wrote:
'I can nail the plane of focus like I never could with an optical VF or AF.'

So true, and makes even difficult to focus lenses, like slow zooms, an easy task. It's quite rejuvenated the use of MF lenses, and I believe it will also make MF lens makers pay more attention to improve focus ring actuation and focus ring rotation optimization. The percentage of manual focus lens users may rise substantially in time, maybe already has. EVF sits at the top of the feature set for Sony cameras, it's the 'killer app'.

Some good points made here but with limitations. I am shooting (D)SLR, mirrorless, and rangefinder cameras. I find MF works best and fastest with my rangefinder cameras - focus peaking and magnification with the EVF in Sony mirrorless is good, but the focus peaking only works well at slower apertures. At faster ones below f/4 and certainly below f/2.8, use of the focus magnification tool is a must, and it takes time to get the focus done with this option. I am much faster with the rangefinder focusing in comparison.

Regarding an increase of MF lens users - there is a current trend back to film and shooting with MF lenses. It is still a niche, but a slowly growing one. In combination with modern mirrorless cameras, some went back to MF lenses due to smaller lens body sizes, price and adaptability to those cameras. Regarding convenience, the big majority of users will stick to AF based lenses.

Nov 14, 2016 at 09:25 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Choices: Canon>Sony>Alt lenses options?

Not to start a flame war, but try and accurately focus on something in the corner with your RF, I bet it's hard to do.

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:02 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.