Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Polarizing filter

davholla

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Polarizing filter

A friend (not a macro photographer) said of this photo, "use a polarizing filter to remove shine".
Now I think that, probably will not work - much as I would like it to, has anyone tried this? (This was with a Canon 7D MKII, ring flash and Canon MPE 65mm)
EF7A9949Harlequin by davholla2002, on Flickr

Nov 11, 2016 at 08:28 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Polarizing filter

davholla wrote:
A friend (not a macro photographer) said of this photo, "use a polarizing filter to remove shine".
Now I think that, probably will not work - much as I would like it to, has anyone tried this? (This was with a Canon 7D MKII, ring flash and Canon MPE 65mm)

Just to clarify, in flash macro the use of the filters is to modify the illumunation and the reflected light. Olympus made a cross polarizer (using two filters at right angles) for their ring flash:

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/ring-cross-filter-pol.html

Harold

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:03 AM
davholla

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Polarizing filter

e6filmuser wrote:
Just to clarify, in flash macro the use of the filter is to modify the illumunation. Olympus made a cross polarizer (using two filters at right angles) for their ring flash:

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/ring-cross-filter-pol.html

Harold

Did you ever use it? Was it any good? I could make something like that from polarising filter sheets (I guess)

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:06 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Polarizing filter

davholla wrote:
Did you ever use it? Was it any good? I could make something like that from polarising filter sheets (I guess)

Possibly not. I found that even the ring flash, without the filter, on the front of the lens snagged against the surroundings of the subject and I changed to using twin flash.

Harold

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:49 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.