New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Large(r than 32") 4k Displays

t4haughton
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Large(r than 32") 4k Displays

Is anyone using a large 4k display. Specifically something close to 40" or so. I'm considering my next move since Apple didn't update their Thunderbolt display and looks like they are getting out of displays that aren't built into a computer. I'm thinking that the extra real estate of 4k sounds awesome, but to keep the DPI reasonable I feel like it would have to be around 40". There's not much in that size other than television sets and I'm worried about color, contrast, etc.

Nov 11, 2016 at 02:35 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Large(r than 32") 4k Displays

Following.

I'm not looking for quite that size, but some of the recent 32-34" 4k and/or ultrawide displays piqued my interest. I'm used to a MBP Retina, so I'm worried about going back to a lower DPI and wondering what people's thoughts are.

Nov 11, 2016 at 04:09 AM
t4haughton
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Large(r than 32") 4k Displays

I use my Retina MBP docked also, with the screen open, so I have both up at the same time. I lean back in my chair with my feet up while editing and I'm several feet away from the displays. At that viewing distance, the retina is sharper, but it's not jarring. I feel like getting more real estate for windows and lightroom sliders would be helpful for productivity. I can't go to less than 2560x1440 effective though, so 4k in HiDPI (retina) mode isn't really an option.

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:51 AM
Charlie K.
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Large(r than 32") 4k Displays

I have the NEC PA322uhd and it is outstanding. I went from a 30 " to the 32 and it was like night and day from 2 ' away to about 5'. The biggest concern is a monster of a video card to drive it properly without slowdowns.It's native res is 3840x2160 @ 60hz. I scale windows ui to 150 and text is perfect.

Nov 11, 2016 at 07:06 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Large(r than 32") 4k Displays

Happy with my 32" LG. True 4K (4120px) 99% aRGB. Matte screen.

Personally I don't need bigger.

Gordon

Nov 12, 2016 at 04:02 PM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Large(r than 32") 4k Displays

I used the Crossover 404k for awhile before moving from a Mac Pro to a much faster iMac retina. Crossover and a number of other Korean brands all use the same Philips VA panel that does a true 60hz with a DP cable. Mine was identical to the newer model, except it had a black bezel. It was really nice, only one dead pixel.

https://www.amazon.com/CrossLCD-405K-UHD-LED-3840x2160/dp/B01HNG1QEW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479076732&sr=1-1&keywords=crossover+405k

Though I liked the monitor, it was a little too big. Just too much eye movement, but it did make photo/video editing a really cool experience with so much real estate. Most annoying, I was constantly adjusting text size from website to website, but that's not because of the panel.

Anyway, much happier with the slightly smaller screen on the iMac.

Nov 13, 2016 at 05:49 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Large(r than 32") 4k Displays

I just added a 55" Samsung 4K TV as my monitor. Yeah no joke!!!! I was running 2 32" displays and one died so instead of replacing it I went bigger. Its actually nice when editing weddings. I sit about 6-8' away. Sometime further if I wanna kick back. I built a hackintosh that pushes it. Im loving my editing life

Nov 15, 2016 at 01:27 PM
t4haughton
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Large(r than 32") 4k Displays

paparazzinick wrote:
I just added a 55" Samsung 4K TV as my monitor. Yeah no joke!!!! I was running 2 32" displays and one died so instead of replacing it I went bigger. Its actually nice when editing weddings. I sit about 6-8' away. Sometime further if I wanna kick back. I built a hackintosh that pushes it. Im loving my editing life

Awesome! I need to see a picture of this setup!

I'm considering building a Hackintosh over the winter as well. Are you happy with it?

Nov 26, 2016 at 08:15 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Large(r than 32") 4k Displays

t4haughton wrote:
Awesome! I need to see a picture of this setup!

I'm considering building a Hackintosh over the winter as well. Are you happy with it?

I love it! The tv doubles are our xbox tv. Its pretty awesome! I love the hackintosh too. I just built a new one too. The only thing I don't like about a hackintosh is it takes a bit of screwing around with to get it to work properly at first. Once it is setup, it runs like a monster. Also, you won't want to go installing the latest versions of the OS because you want to make sure it will work with your hardware. 99.999999% of the time it will

Nov 27, 2016 at 09:10 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Large(r than 32") 4k Displays

paparazzinick wrote:
I just added a 55" Samsung 4K TV as my monitor. Yeah no joke!!!!

I'd really like an LG OLED....

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:25 AM
Dan Bellyk
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Large(r than 32") 4k Displays

I just ordered the new 38" LG, looking forward to trying t out

Nov 29, 2016 at 09:36 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.