New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Adapting a Pentax K lens to EOS

marktomaras

[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adapting a Pentax K lens to EOS

Hello,

I have a Novoflex EOS/NEX (Eos to Sony E) adapter. I would like to use the Pentax K 28mm f/3.5 lens on my Sony A7rII. I see there are several cheap e-bay adapters (mostly, if not exclusively) from China that adapt the Pentax K mount to EOS. I also saw that Fotodiox makes one of these adapters, and perhaps it is one of the better of the Chinese made adapters.

Does anyone have any thoughts, advice, concerns or ideas about using this lens with a slim adapter as mentioned above, and mounting to the Novoflex EOS/NEX adapter, and then onto my Sony A7rII?

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks,
Mark

Nov 10, 2016 at 01:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adapting a Pentax K lens to EOS

Does Fotodiox make a PK to E direct? I'd likely skip the double adapter, given the choice. Fotodiox Pro series has been good to me.

Nov 10, 2016 at 02:23 PM
marktomaras

[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adapting a Pentax K lens to EOS

Good point. I was thinking that I would prefer to use the higher-end Novoflex adapter that I already have, but the addition of a 2nd adapter may negate any advantage. Fotodiox Pro does make a pentax k to sony e. have you found these adapters to be of high quality manufacture and to maintain a snug fit with good function?

thanks!

Nov 10, 2016 at 02:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adapting a Pentax K lens to EOS

I have 5 of them ... all Pro version, non-chipped ... for EOS

Leica R
C/Y
Oly
Nikon F
M645

I don't use them a lot these days (Canon finally made some good WA / UWA glass ), but back in the day I used them quite a bit, and they never let me down, or compelled me to get a "higher quality" adapter.

Oddly enough, I never got around to shooting any PK glass.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:48 PM
marktomaras

[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adapting a Pentax K lens to EOS

ok, ordered the fotodiox. for $30 including shipping, it is certainly not a very expensive experiment. Can anyone tell me what I may look for in terms of lack of performance with a low cost adapter? I suppose infinity focus and tightness of fit are the two obvious possible shortcomings. Barring those, what else may arise that I should be on the lookout for?

Nov 12, 2016 at 02:11 PM
arduluth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adapting a Pentax K lens to EOS

Flares, lack of infinity focus, off axis when mounted (my cheap OM adapter had lenses rotated a bit to the side when mounted, but no impact on IQ), wobble/play in the mounts, and decentering.

I've seen this all reported in the more expensive Metabones and Novoflex adapters as well, though you'd assume less frequently.

Most issues are easy enough to recognize, and many can be fixed/mitigated.

Don't freak out if your cheap adapter focused past infinity. This is by design. It's trivially easy to shim an adapter for perfect infinity focus.

Nov 12, 2016 at 05:33 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adapting a Pentax K lens to EOS

I have the Fotodiox PK to NEX, very well built, but I would now days get the Fotodiox Pro version.

Nov 13, 2016 at 05:09 AM
marktomaras

[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adapting a Pentax K lens to EOS

interestingly enough, I searched for a fotodiox pro version of that adapter, even on the fotodiox site, and I could not find one. So I ordered the standard version...

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:45 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adapting a Pentax K lens to EOS

marktomaras wrote:
interestingly enough, I searched for a fotodiox pro version of that adapter, even on the fotodiox site, and I could not find one. So I ordered the standard version...

You might try calling them to see if they have one. I haven't spoken with them for quite a few years now, but they were easy to talk to back then.

Nov 13, 2016 at 06:58 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.