New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · CFast cards

fsolis

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CFast cards

Shortly after the 1D X Mark II hit the streets there were reports of problems with Sandisk CFast cards. A firmware update from Canon was to have fixed the problem.

Also, in the past regular Lexar CF cards have been problematic for Canon cameras. I was bitten by a bad Lexar card and so switched to Sandisk.

So I'm wondering if Lexar CFast cards are different and will play nicely with the the 1D X Mark II. And also wondering the same thing with the Sandisk CFast cards.

Can anyone share their experiences, please? Thanks.

Nov 10, 2016 at 01:01 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CFast cards

I've got a couple for my 1DX II and have had no problems.

Nov 10, 2016 at 02:00 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CFast cards

I have 7 Lexars and one Sandisk that came with my camera, Over 120000 images with no problems.

Nov 10, 2016 at 02:19 PM
K mueller
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CFast cards

I shoot both CF and CFast Lexar cards and have never had any issues. Also use the 64g CFast that came with the 1DxII and never had a problem with it either.

Nov 10, 2016 at 02:43 PM
Adam Jones

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CFast cards

Haven't had a problem with the Sandisk 64GB CFast card that came with the 1DX II. I updated the firmware straight away upon receiving the camera.

Nov 10, 2016 at 05:23 PM
fsolis

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CFast cards

Thanks everyone. That's what I needed to know.

Nov 10, 2016 at 06:27 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CFast cards

I got a Sandisk CFast 128GB card to go with the 64GB card that came with the camera. I did see a few of the dropped photos before loading the new firmware, but none since. I am a long term Sandisk guy, so have stayed with them, and have no Lexar. Sandisk has also have worked with Canon for several years on CFast for some of their video cameras, so I doubt you will see any issues at all now that we are past the one 1DX2 firmware bug, which was fixed very fast.

Nov 10, 2016 at 07:43 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CFast cards

I've been using the included Sandisk C-Fast card and I haven't even done the FW update. I've had no issues. I've also used Lexar CF cards for the past 5 years in all my Canon cameras and have had no problems. I have had two corrupt Transcend CF cards in my 1DX.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:13 PM
gt3rs
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CFast cards

1Dx II with firmware update 1 Sandisk 64GB and 2 Lexar 3400 256 GB, use exclusively these CFast card > 80000 photos and 5 TB of video with no single issue.

Nov 11, 2016 at 04:45 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CFast cards

I did do the FW upgrade and I was still losing files left and right. I got an RMA from SanDisk and got a replacement card within about 2 weeks. The new card works well - I still prefer my Lexar 128G simply because 4k video eats bytes like they're candy.

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:12 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CFast cards

I currently use the 3600x Lexars and have had no problems. I have the Sandisk 64GB CFast that came with the 1DX2 but don't trust it anymore. Twice it has locked up on me while writing a long sequence of photos.

Nov 11, 2016 at 03:27 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CFast cards

And just so everyone is aware....don't invest too heavily into C-Fast as the CF association has started to back a new standard called CFexpress that is related to XQD and will be backwards compatible with XQD. I'm hoping C-Fast supporters will ditch the cards in the next generation of cameras (like 1DX3, 5D5 etc). The XQD and CFexpress is a standard that can still get faster where as C-Fast is already maxed.

Some reading:
http://resourcemagonline.com/2016/10/the-cfast-vs-xqd-battle-is-already-over-stop-buying-cfast/68002/
http://www.compactflash.org/assets/docs/cfapress/cfexpress_family_pr_160907.pdf

Nov 11, 2016 at 06:51 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CFast cards

stanj wrote:
I did do the FW upgrade and I was still losing files left and right. I got an RMA from SanDisk and got a replacement card within about 2 weeks. The new card works well - I still prefer my Lexar 128G simply because 4k video eats bytes like they're candy.

And Sandisk has updated the card as I understand it. So ones bought now should be the new version.

Nov 11, 2016 at 06:53 PM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · CFast cards

I've had multiple Sandisk and Lexar 3500 cards. I had a problem with a Sandisk where the camera suddenly stopped recognizing the card mid-shoot. Refreshing the card solved the problem. Now I refresh religiously after three shoots.

I have a couple of Lexar 3500s. First one worked great. Second one was a problem out of he box - it bricked the camera after about 20 minutes. Pulled the battery and switched out the card and it cleared. Customer service at Lexar was stellar, as always. They replaced the card and had the photos on it recovered at no charge. Replacement works great.

Both brands work well. As with any new technology, there have been a few hiccups, but a reliable manufacturer always stands behind their product. I have a slight bias towards the Lexar because they don't get as hot. Also, according to Lexar, the 3500 doesn't need the regular refreshing that the Sandisk does. But I am comfortable shooting with either.

Nov 11, 2016 at 09:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.