New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Spots on E-M1 EVF

Jack Kelley
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spots on E-M1 EVF

A cluster of tiny green-white spots recently appeared on the EVF of my E-M1. It's not on a lens, not on the monitor, and not on any images; only visible when I look at the EVF. An Olympus tech support rep told me this may be caused by bright light affecting the diopter.

Yesterday I took my new 7-14mm Pro lens out for a first test shoot. Temps were in the high eighties, the sunlight intense. Although I never aimed the lens at the sun, the splotches spread across another big section of the EVF. And the camera body began to feel hot in my hands. Took it indoors mid-shoot to cool down.

Before I send the body in for repair, I'm wondering if anyone here has encountered this problem. The camera is supposedly rated for much higher temps than I encountered yesterday. Next year I'll be traveling to very hot climates. Although I hope to be carrying E-M1.2s by then, I'd appreciate any feedback from those who've experienced or read of this particular issue..

Nov 09, 2016 at 03:08 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spots on E-M1 EVF

Responding just from memory, but I do remember reading something about this on the M43 forum. Supposedly the EVF is susceptible to discoloration when exposed to strong sunlight.

Here are some links:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3923528
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=245710&page=13

Nov 09, 2016 at 06:19 PM
Jack Kelley
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spots on E-M1 EVF

Thanks Fred. These links are very helpful. My EVF uses a strong diopter correction, which appears to be one of the aggravating conditions. Although I guess it seems obvious, I was mistakenly thinking sunlight coming through the lens was the problem, not sunlight entering the EVF from the eye side, which is pretty easy to avoid. Duh-uh. Hope they've fixed this in the new bodies. Because my eyesight isn't going to improve.

Nov 10, 2016 at 03:51 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spots on E-M1 EVF

You're welcome, Jack. Hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.

I know that once I read about this, I took extra care to keep my M1's EVF shielded when out in strong light.

Nov 10, 2016 at 07:43 PM
-Michael

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spots on E-M1 EVF

Mine will have to go in for the same problem, green spots in EFV.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:36 PM
Jack Kelley
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spots on E-M1 EVF

-Michael wrote:
Mine will have to go in for the same problem, green spots in EFV.

I haven't yet sent mine, Michael. If you beat me to it, I'll be interested to hear the turnaround time, and whether they say it might recur.

Thanks and good luck.

Nov 15, 2016 at 05:05 PM
jcisaacs

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spots on E-M1 EVF

This is a common problem; the magnification of a high diopter setting focuses sunlight throught the EVF on a film in the EVF that becomes discolored. You need to take great care not to get sunlight into the EVF.

I have not had this problem with my camera bodies, but I do have a VF4 right angle viewer that has developed some spots.

I had my E-M1 in for repair recently, they replaced much of the EVF system and the control dial. It took a week total.

I use the EP-12 eyecup, and the battery cap for the Nikon EL-EN15 battery fits over the eyecup; I use that to protect the EVF from sun exposure. Doesn't work with the EP-13 eyecup, still looking for a solution for that one.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:38 AM
Jack Kelley
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spots on E-M1 EVF

jcisaacs wrote:
I use the EP-12 eyecup, and the battery cap for the Nikon EL-EN15 battery fits over the eyecup; I use that to protect the EVF from sun exposure. Doesn't work with the EP-13 eyecup, still looking for a solution for that one.

Thanks for the info. I use the EP-13. During Thanksgiving weekend, my solution to *all* problems is, "More stuffing!" But even with excellent weather sealing, that may prove impractical. :-)

My old Canon 1D X had a very thin, flip-up VF cover between the VF and the eye cup. Maybe that would work for Oly. Of course, if they fixed the burn issue on the Mark II as reported, it won't be necessary.

Nov 26, 2016 at 06:07 PM
-Michael

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spots on E-M1 EVF

Jack Kelley wrote:
I haven't yet sent mine, Michael. If you beat me to it, I'll be interested to hear the turnaround time, and whether they say it might recur.

Thanks and good luck.

Turnaround time for the New Jersey repair depot was a couple of work days + shipping. They got it last week Tuesday, and are shipping it back today.

From the repair order:

"REPLACED ENCODER DIAL AND TFT UNIT. Checked and adjusted all functions,and cleaned all. Installed latest firmware."

Nov 28, 2016 at 07:29 PM
Jack Kelley
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Spots on E-M1 EVF

-Michael wrote:
Turnaround time for the New Jersey repair depot was a couple of work days + shipping. They got it last week Tuesday, and are shipping it back today.

From the repair order:

Thanks, Michael. That's great to hear. Mine is still okay to shoot with, so I'll wait until the M2 arrives. I don't want to risk being without an M1 in case shipping gets delayed or my pre-order doesn't get fulfilled before I travel. But the quick turnaround is welcome news.

Nov 29, 2016 at 01:13 PM
-Michael

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Spots on E-M1 EVF

I had to get mine serviced before the extended warranty runs out next week.

Nov 29, 2016 at 08:57 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.