New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Siblings

ChaseD
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Siblings

A family from daycare volunteered to let me take some photos for practice. I can definitely see progression since I fist started posting here. What would you guys do different?

Nov 09, 2016 at 02:02 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Siblings

Hey Chase!

Got some good looking kiddos here (killer eyes on both) and some nice, sharp pics.

I'd say that for both of them a tighter cropping would help. On #1 I also added a little room above dad's head because it seemed slightly tight up there. #1 also got a slight contrast boost.

With #2 I found the left OOF area distracting and pulling away from the great rendering and awesomely goofy smile of the boy.

Glad you're feeling the progress!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Nov 09, 2016 at 02:24 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Siblings

Not a portrait guy, but I keep trying. Got grandkids to "shoot"

I like both of these, but especially the first. Her attention was caught with a natural expression. The eyes are gorgeous. Sharpness, detail look excellent. I prefer the tighter crop that Jeff illustrated. Maybe a tad looser, but with nothing on the right of the tree. Image would improve if Dad was turned just another 10 degrees or so toward the camera. Nonetheless, a keeper. His emotion is captured, and the connection between them.
Tighter is better on the second, and I agree with Jeff (again! Darn!) that the OOF wall was distracting. Could use a bit more chest. While the smile seems to shine some of his personality, it feels a bit Cheese!-posed. I could be wrong. Not there after all. But I would prefer something that feels a bit more candid.

Scott

Nov 12, 2016 at 08:39 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Siblings

I agree with the above comments. I would also go further with the cropping of the second image. That gives the images a more intimate feeling. After all the pics are all about the beautiful siblings. So lets make them all about the beautiful siblings
One thing appears to me is that the WB looks a bit off, may be on the green side. I believe some warming of the tone will make the images more pleasing to the eyes. Another thing is that the images, especially the first one, look a bit "rough", may be too much sharpening, but it is hard to say at this size.
Here are a couple of suggestions with more warm tones and some smoothing.
Socrate

Nov 13, 2016 at 01:30 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Siblings

sbeme wrote:
Not a portrait guy, but I keep trying. Got grandkids to "shoot"

I like both of these, but especially the first. Her attention was caught with a natural expression. The eyes are gorgeous. Sharpness, detail look excellent. I prefer the tighter crop that Jeff illustrated. Maybe a tad looser, but with nothing on the right of the tree. Image would improve if Dad was turned just another 10 degrees or so toward the camera. Nonetheless, a keeper. His emotion is captured, and the connection between them.
Tighter is better on the second, and I agree with Jeff (again! Darn!) that the OOF
...Show more

Great advice and suggestions from Jeff and Scott. As a novice portrait photographer, your attention tends to be on your subjects. There's a lot to think about, posing, expressions, camera settings, etc. But also important is to reduce distracting elements in the background, like the tree in the first, and the wall in the second. Part of the process is asking your subjects to move to a spot where there is a "cleaner" background that doesnt compete for attention to your subjects, unless the background has important elements that define your subject.
Steve

Nov 13, 2016 at 01:47 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.