Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · College football - Linemen time.

ronlane
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · College football - Linemen time.

As you probably already know, it tough getting good shots of the interior linemen during a football game. I finally got one that I am happy with.

Nov 09, 2016 at 12:16 PM
PureMichigan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · College football - Linemen time.

Here is a detailed thread on shooting the Line that I started last week. Lots of good information

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1458425

It was an interesting experience to shoot the OL and DL exclusively. I am thinking of writing a short article on how NOT to it -- because I feel I'm now an expert on the topic. It was a tough gig and my frames--to-keeper ratio hit an all-time low.

We all take different approaches to this based on the needs of the school or media outlet. I was asked to get very tight profile pictures.

Given the time frame and expectations I just focused on each lineman with a D500 and 400MM 2.8 and shot away until I got a couple I liked. It sometime took 5 plays or more. BTW, you miss 90% of the ball action doing this, which feels odd. I tried to work from the end zones in the first quarter but found it easier to get more precise angles on the guards and center from the sidelines. the line

I don't have access to my pictures as I am travelling but here's a representative screen shot. I ended up with a lot of variations on this theme. Not going to win any awards but they do give you a sense of being in that scrum.

Nov 09, 2016 at 03:11 PM
ronlane
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · College football - Linemen time.

Thanks PureMichigan. Yeah I saw that thread. I didn't go to shoot the linemen, but I try to take some of them at every game I shoot. It is something different than just following the football around and trying to get "the catch". But it is just as rewarding when you get a good shot of them that they like.

Nov 10, 2016 at 03:00 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · College football - Linemen time.

Having shot for some teams as part of the photo group covering them I found a 600 f/4 invaluable for interior linemen. Certain situations we pretty much knew which lineman was going to be moving in what direction. Could key on them and work for face exposure. Offense and defense both worked well this way. Following one specific player for a number of downs also made for good images.

When following a specific player I picked a time and followed him into the game and back on the sidelines and interaction with coaches. Made for a full set on any one player as during the game I could get series like this of most of the linemen. Often sold more photos of them with specific coaches or sweaty and dirty on the sideline. Made for good images as I could key on them and isolate them in the group by shooting as close as possible (without intruding on player area) wide open. Really made them stand out. Found some of the best sellers were the water bottle/cup shots as they would often pour it on them to cool down.

If you follow particular players of specific positions you get images most won't try for as they spend the whole game following the ball. If you are photographing for dollars the line seldom gets good images so your sales tend to go up a lot.

Nov 12, 2016 at 05:42 PM
bmell

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · College football - Linemen time.

Excellent work gentleman. The line is the heart and soul of the game.

Nov 13, 2016 at 09:08 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.