New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · EM1 II PRO CAPTURE MODE WOW

mustafa604
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EM1 II PRO CAPTURE MODE WOW

Just saw this video looks super impressive!! But not impressed about the price.

Nov 09, 2016 at 01:02 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EM1 II PRO CAPTURE MODE WOW

Impressive features and performance indeed! We'll see about the continues AF, that is what will make it break it. If it works good, I see nothing wrong with the price (as discussed in several other threads). In fact, if the C-AF works and it tracks, this is pretty much the highest speced camera on the market, that includes all the high end DSLR bodies. Non of those can shoot at 18 fps C-AF let alone 60 fps. The time where you payed a high premium for sensor size is gone. You now pay for hardware, build quality, speed and performance.

As far as I know the Olympus and NIkon D5 (and Canon 1D Mark IV?) are the only cameras with dual processors in order to have one handle shooting data and one dedicated for Autofocus. So 2000 USD really isn't all that much when you compare to 6500 for a D5. That pretty much means you pay 4500 for the sensor.

Nov 09, 2016 at 11:25 AM
ELinder
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EM1 II PRO CAPTURE MODE WOW

I'm pretty sure the D500 also uses the extra processor for AF functions, don't know about Canon cameras.

Um, no, that's doesn't mean you pay 4500 for the sensor. If you've ever held or used a D5 you'd know there's so much more to the camera than just that. It's a totally different class of camera. Different camera for different purposes.

Erich

Nov 09, 2016 at 11:43 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EM1 II PRO CAPTURE MODE WOW

mustafa604 wrote:
Just saw this video looks super impressive!! But not impressed about the price.

Since the focus is fixed on the balloons, it is hardly a test for AF.

And as pointed out, the price is already discussed on another thread. If the camera has the AF in AI Servo like many are hoping for, the price is spot on. IMO

Nov 09, 2016 at 02:01 PM
Filterman

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EM1 II PRO CAPTURE MODE WOW

You are right this is not a test for AF. The idea is to shoot at a very high speed a sequence of images without any shutter delay. The focus point does not move. That is how this feature is designed. Could be very useful for certain conditions like for shooting water splashes etc.

J. Allen

Nov 09, 2016 at 03:23 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EM1 II PRO CAPTURE MODE WOW

Yeah, I got that. Still waiting to see how it tracks an AIF.

Arrow in flight.

Nov 09, 2016 at 06:46 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EM1 II PRO CAPTURE MODE WOW

ELinder wrote:
I'm pretty sure the D500 also uses the extra processor for AF functions, don't know about Canon cameras.

Um, no, that's doesn't mean you pay 4500 for the sensor. If you've ever held or used a D5 you'd know there's so much more to the camera than just that. It's a totally different class of camera. Different camera for different purposes.

Erich

Used and held a D4 and yes there is much more to it then just a sensor. I don't expect the E-M1 Mk II to touch its C-Af performance. I didn't know the D500 has got a second cpu for AF but it makes total sense.

Edit, home from work and can write a longer answer:

Totally different class I wouldn't quite agree though, in fact, depending on the performance of the C-AF they may very well be aimed at pretty much the same kind of photography. Both are high speed machines aimed at the purpose of writing as much data as possible in the shortest time possible. The E-M1 Mk II has got the D5 beat here in terms of pure data per second. Both are 20(ish) mp cameras. Both can shoot at high speed or extremely high speed. Though I expect the D5 buffer and XQD cards will win in the long run.

The sensor in the D5 is larger, it will always produce better quality images, especially in low light, the E-M1 Mk II won't come near it there.

However, aside from the actual sensor, specification wise the E-M1 Mk II has the D5 beat on many or most points. Higher frame rate, both in continues AF and locked AF. I don't expect the Olympus to come close to the performance of the D5 as far as tracking AF goes though but it's yet to be seen, and as we all know, high frame rate with unfocused photos is no use anyway.
More cross type AF points (quality beats quantity though)
Studio shooting, high res shot.

One could of course make a list and compare everything but there isn't much point in that. Like I said, rather then totally different cameras I would say the E-M1 Mk II is the D5 of mirrorless cameras. The fact that it is physically smaller does not put it in a totally different class.

Ps. I love Nikon, it's what I started with and may go back to in the future, I still use and love my MF Nikon cameras and lenses. I am trying to be objective here and simply comparing specifications. Only time will tell how good the E-M1 Mk II actually is. I do not expect it to perform like a D5 when it comes to sports or wildlife.

Nov 10, 2016 at 05:55 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.