New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Question on Godox V860II-N

MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question on Godox V860II-N

Hi all!

I'm in the process of swapping over to Godox v860II-Ns from my SB-910s, so I bought two of the v860II-ns.

Problem came up at the first wedding I did with them: they don't fire manually off my PocketWizard TT5s (as OCF on light stands). What I know:
- flashes are new, and if I press the fire button manually on the flash, they'll fire.
- batteries on my TT5s are all fine, and they're synced (I know because when I swap the v860II-ns with SB-910s, the SB-910s go off flawlessly when triggered)
- TT5s are updated to latest firmware, they're flawless with my SB-910s
- when attached to my D4s or D750 hotshoe, the v860II-N flashes are flawless

So the only issue is getting them to fire when I use them with TT5s as OCF on light stands.

Anyone know why they won't? I tried resetting them, and setting them to manual, then i-TTL. None of my TT5s set them off, even when I hit the Test/Learn button on the TT5. Need them to go off on my TT5s!

Should I return them and just get the v860N (version 1)?

Thanks!

Nov 08, 2016 at 02:18 AM
jrscls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question on Godox V860II-N

I doubt the PW TT5s will work with third party flashes. I would ditch the PW TT5 system and go all Godox, which is much better IMO.

Nov 08, 2016 at 11:10 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question on Godox V860II-N

I had MiniTT1's & FlexTT5's, and my experience mirrors what you're seeing. Not that I really cared, since an on-camera V860II-N (or X1T) works just fine to control off-camera V860II's.

Nov 08, 2016 at 11:47 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question on Godox V860II-N

BigIronCruiser wrote:
I had MiniTT1's & FlexTT5's, and my experience mirrors what you're seeing. Not that I really cared, since an on-camera V860II-N (or X1T) works just fine to control off-camera V860II's.

Do the X1Ts work with SB-910s?

Nov 09, 2016 at 12:22 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question on Godox V860II-N

MazeRunner wrote:
Do the X1Ts work with SB-910s?

The SB-910 doesn't have a built-in radio receiver, so the answer would be no. OTOH, the SB-910 should work if you mount it on an X1R receiver.

In case you don't already know, the V860's and SB-910's are compatible when using Nikon's standard CLS. The V860 can be set to Master or Slave. CLS has some inherent limitations, so it's not something that I use.

Nov 09, 2016 at 01:31 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question on Godox V860II-N

BigIronCruiser wrote:
The SB-910 doesn't have a built-in radio receiver, so the answer would be no. OTOH, the SB-910 should work if you mount it on an X1R receiver.

In case you don't already know, the V860's and SB-910's are compatible when using Nikon's standard CLS. The V860 can be set to Master or Slave. CLS has some inherent limitations, so it's not something that I use.

Will they slave if outside of line of sight? As in I'm firing the SB-910 on my hotshoe in a crowd at a wedding, and the V860II-ns are on flash stands but not in direct line of sight.

Might just have to return my v860II-ns and get the v860n (version 1, which worked with the PocketWizards).

Nov 09, 2016 at 01:51 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question on Godox V860II-N

MazeRunner wrote:
Will they slave if outside of line of sight? As in I'm firing the SB-910 on my hotshoe in a crowd at a wedding, and the V860II-ns are on flash stands but not in direct line of sight.

Might just have to return my v860II-ns and get the v860n (version 1, which worked with the PocketWizards).

I would not trust CLS in that type of environment. I was in your shoes, since I had numerous SB910's, MiniTT1's, FlexTT5's and AC-3 zone controllers. I sold all of that gear, plus my Einstein's, and have now standardized on Cheetah/Adorama (re-branded Godox) lights. This includes V860II's, AD600's and CL-360X lights. All of them have built-in 2.4ghz radios, which obviates the need for external triggers & receivers.

Nov 09, 2016 at 02:24 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question on Godox V860II-N

BigIronCruiser wrote:
I would not trust CLS in that type of environment. I was in your shoes, since I had numerous SB910's, MiniTT1's, FlexTT5's and AC-3 zone controllers. I sold all of that gear, plus my Einstein's, and have now standardized on Cheetah/Adorama (re-branded Godox) lights. This includes V860II's, AD600's and CL-360X lights. All of them have built-in 2.4ghz radios, which obviates the need for external triggers & receivers.

How solid + reliable are the Cheetah/Godox/Adorama rebrands? I've had my SB-910s abused a lot and they haven't quit working on me, whereas I had a Godox v860n (version 1) break from a short fall that the SB-910s wouldn't.

Nov 09, 2016 at 04:43 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question on Godox V860II-N

I have not experienced any reliability issues. In terms of durability, I haven't (yet) dropped anything. At $180 or less, it's not too expensive to keep a spare.

IMO, buying from Cheetah (V860X-N) or Adorama (Flashpoint Zoom Li-On R2) are the best options. One bonus with Cheetah is that they test every unit and ensure that the most recent firmware is installed prior to shipment.

Nov 09, 2016 at 09:59 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question on Godox V860II-N

OK, considering this:

Say I keep the V860II-Ns right now, and will shift over to the X1T/X1R with the Godox flashes. Will the X1Rs trigger my SB-910s? Anyone can test (use X1T, X1R with SB-910 to see if flash goes off) for me?

And also, does the X1T allow me to fire both a flash on top of it (main light) it triggers the OCFs on light stands? Is it a transmitter that transmits to hotshoe AND radio at same time?

Thanks!

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:53 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question on Godox V860II-N

MazeRunner wrote:
OK, considering this:

Say I keep the V860II-Ns right now, and will shift over to the X1T/X1R with the Godox flashes. Will the X1Rs trigger my SB-910s? Anyone can test (use X1T, X1R with SB-910 to see if flash goes off) for me?

And also, does the X1T allow me to fire both a flash on top of it (main light) it triggers the OCFs on light stands? Is it a transmitter that transmits to hotshoe AND radio at same time?

Thanks!

I believe the answer to both questions is yes. You might want to watch this video:

I do seem to recall someone mentioning that the X1T had to be powered up in order to trigger a flash that was sitting in the hotshoe. The Molight, by the way, is a re-branded Godox.

Nov 11, 2016 at 09:30 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.