Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · How to check Authenticity of Canon 70-200 f2.8/L IS II lens?

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How to check Authenticity of Canon 70-200 f2.8/L IS II lens?

Reminds me of the Mamiya RB kit in a secondhand store priced at $1500.00. The owner was livid after a part-timer sold it for $150.00.

Nov 10, 2016 at 02:32 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How to check Authenticity of Canon 70-200 f2.8/L IS II lens?

I don't understand how a pawn shop/secondhand store/etc, in 2016, could not know the value or even come close, on something like this.

Nov 10, 2016 at 08:57 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How to check Authenticity of Canon 70-200 f2.8/L IS II lens?

It's very rare for sure. There is a website, or a page of a popular website here, dedicated to secondhand values that Thai electronics dealers frequent - you're not getting any such deals these days.

Nov 10, 2016 at 09:11 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How to check Authenticity of Canon 70-200 f2.8/L IS II lens?

Sometimes, you really do just get lucky and get a deal. I once got a deal on some equipment that was a deal this good or better, and checked with all the local surrounding area police on the serial numbers and called every place I knew of at the time to check it out prior to buying it. After getting it home, I looked at the name registered in the camera body, and googled it on line and everything that I found completely matched the story that the guy gave me. That made me feel better that at least it wasn't stolen. I was afraid to sell any of it until I felt comfortable with that and only wanted one of the 3 items. In the end after selling what I did not want, I got a 1200 lens for 400.

Nov 10, 2016 at 09:33 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How to check Authenticity of Canon 70-200 f2.8/L IS II lens?

It makes me think of when I bought my Leica M3 with a dual range Summicron 50mm. I bought it from a local camera store that I had frequented since I was a child. They let me run a roll of film through it and the shutter travel was uneven, therefore exposure was not consistent across the frame. Other than that, it was in excellent condition.

I asked the owner of the store how much he wanted for it. He said: "$150.00, only if I never see it again." I bought it and sent the body to the Leica repair facility in New York for C&A. They charged $150.00. That was 30 years ago and it is still going strong. It took me 10 years to find the one I wanted: single stroke and with a serial number around 1,000,000.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:17 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How to check Authenticity of Canon 70-200 f2.8/L IS II lens?

onesickpuppy wrote:
The biggest concern is if it's grey market....did it come with the proper USA/Canada warranty card??

That's not likely to matter with a Canon product.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:55 AM
iphn4s
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How to check Authenticity of Canon 70-200 f2.8/L IS II lens?

Thanks all for ur inputs. Looks likely it's genuine one from build and picture quality. May be I was lucky. Will use it for a while or up for sell soon...

Nov 12, 2016 at 09:15 AM
herion
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How to check Authenticity of Canon 70-200 f2.8/L IS II lens?

Paul Mo wrote:
Reminds me of the Mamiya RB kit in a secondhand store priced at $1500.00. The owner was livid after a part-timer sold it for $150.00.

Reminds of the time I got a set of 14K onyx and opal cufflinks and studs for $75 instead of $750. It was a summer intern that did the order and had to "override" the cash register a few times before the sale went thru. I never beat it out of a store so fast as that....

Nov 24, 2016 at 06:46 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How to check Authenticity of Canon 70-200 f2.8/L IS II lens?

iphn4s wrote:
Thanks all for ur inputs. Looks likely it's genuine one from build and picture quality. May be I was lucky. Will use it for a while or up for sell soon...

if you can't tell a real one from a fake, well what can I say?

Nov 24, 2016 at 07:08 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.