Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Digitizing film with an a7r, good cheaper setups?

retrofocus
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Digitizing film with an a7r, good cheaper setups?

alwang wrote:
Anyone have any experience using an ipad as a light source in a setup like this, with it set to display an all-white image? You might even be able to vary the color to adjust for the orange cast that's being discussed?

I am still using an older iPad and don't have any of the newer Retina versions. At least with the older one, the light is not as intense as with the light table which I am using. I never tried to use my iPad as light source, but it might work.

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:14 PM
OregonSun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Digitizing film with an a7r, good cheaper setups?

I digitize all my film (6x7) using a 7Dii and 100mm macro. I use a copy stand I picked up on craigslist, a small light table, and glass film holders I made out of non-reflective framing glass. The top layer of glass is shimmed by a border of electrical tape so the glass isn't directly resting on the film. I sometimes get newton rings, but only with badly curled film. I do 6 shots per film frame and stitch together in LR/PS, resulting in approx 8000 x 6500 pixel files. I settled on this size because it is big enough to just make out the film grain when viewed at 100%. A higher MP body would require fewer shots. I only shoot transparencies and b&w so no severe color issues to deal with.

A great method of ensuring your camera is parallel is to put a small mirror on your light table and turn on live view, when the reflection of your lens is exactly centered in the frame, the sensor is parallel to the mirror (turning on grid lines in live view helps with this).

Heron

Nov 10, 2016 at 07:30 PM
edge100
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Digitizing film with an a7r, good cheaper setups?

http://www.mfphotography.ca/michael-fraser-photography/category/the-definitive-guide-to-scanning-film-with-a-digital-camera

Nov 10, 2016 at 08:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carlitos
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Digitizing film with an a7r, good cheaper setups?

OregonSun wrote:
I digitize all my film (6x7) using a 7Dii and 100mm macro. I use a copy stand I picked up on craigslist, a small light table, and glass film holders I made out of non-reflective framing glass. The top layer of glass is shimmed by a border of electrical tape so the glass isn't directly resting on the film. I sometimes get newton rings, but only with badly curled film. I do 6 shots per film frame and stitch together in LR/PS, resulting in approx 8000 x 6500 pixel files. I settled on this size because it is big enough
...Show more

Thanks for the mirror and glass ideas.

I use a Gepe 4X5 LED light "tablet" for a light source. They make larger ones.

Nov 10, 2016 at 08:55 PM
trogdon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Digitizing film with an a7r, good cheaper setups?

OregonSun wrote:
I digitize all my film (6x7) using a 7Dii and 100mm macro. I use a copy stand I picked up on craigslist, a small light table, and glass film holders I made out of non-reflective framing glass. The top layer of glass is shimmed by a border of electrical tape so the glass isn't directly resting on the film. I sometimes get newton rings, but only with badly curled film. I do 6 shots per film frame and stitch together in LR/PS, resulting in approx 8000 x 6500 pixel files. I settled on this size because it is big enough
...Show more

Great idea with the mirror, never thought of that. Thanks for the tips! I just purchased a Sony 50mm f2.8 (the old version for A mount) as for $137 it seemed like a good investment. Never thought about checking CL for copy stands, going to do that now. What type of light table do you use?

Nov 11, 2016 at 03:29 AM
OregonSun
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Digitizing film with an a7r, good cheaper setups?

trogdon wrote:
Great idea with the mirror, never thought of that. Thanks for the tips! I just purchased a Sony 50mm f2.8 (the old version for A mount) as for $137 it seemed like a good investment. Never thought about checking CL for copy stands, going to do that now. What type of light table do you use?

You're welcome. My light table is 8x10 and the tag says "the light table by porta-trace", I got it from B&H.

Heron

Nov 12, 2016 at 04:29 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password