New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Scanning portrait 160

Alexluu627
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Scanning portrait 160

Hey guys I've been scanning my film with my phase one p40+ back and a 120mm macro lens and seem to have a problem when shooting Kodak films into my computer. They have a strong Orange cast to them which makes it extremely hard to correct in capture one. What is a easy way to correct this and can I put a grey card in the picture hopefully fixing this issue? Much help needed!!

Nov 08, 2016 at 02:51 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Scanning portrait 160

The folks at Capture Integration claim it's easy to do in C1, but I'm not so sure. It's easy enough to invert the image, but C1 doesn't have comprehensive controls the way a good scanning app might, especially for inverting the orange mask. The absolute best software I've ever seen for this is the Howtek drum scanning software but that's an OS9 legacy proposition. You might try capturing the image with the mask, bringing it into Ps, inverting it there and then use the highlight and shadow droppers to set neutral points. That *should* neutralize the mask, but whenever I've tried it that way, the results were less than stellar. Maybe post an example so we can see what you're dealing with.

Nov 08, 2016 at 09:09 AM
xvvvz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Scanning portrait 160

ColorPerfect plug-in with Photoshop?

Doug

Nov 09, 2016 at 04:13 PM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Scanning portrait 160

+1 for ColorPerfect

Nov 10, 2016 at 05:40 PM
edge100
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Scanning portrait 160

ColorPerfect is not ideal for DSLR-captured film.

My tutorial (below) is written based on a Lightroom/Photoshop workflow, but could easily be adapted to C1.

http://www.mfphotography.ca/michael-fraser-photography/category/the-definitive-guide-to-scanning-film-with-a-digital-camera

This method of scanning film is as good as you can get, short of *at least* an Imacon.

Nov 10, 2016 at 05:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Scanning portrait 160

Hey just tried your method and still noticed a lot
Of color cast in my image when using capture one. I noticed that this works a lot better if I turn the slider in capture one -20-30 saturation and use your action. In general the pictures came out more natural when I desaturated it and used color perfect.

edge100 wrote:
ColorPerfect is not ideal for DSLR-captured film.

My tutorial (below) is written based on a Lightroom/Photoshop workflow, but could easily be adapted to C1.

http://www.mfphotography.ca/michael-fraser-photography/category/the-definitive-guide-to-scanning-film-with-a-digital-camera

This method of scanning film is as good as you can get, short of *at least* an Imacon.

Nov 11, 2016 at 09:44 AM
edge100
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Scanning portrait 160

Alexluu627 wrote:
Hey just tried your method and still noticed a lot
Of color cast in my image when using capture one. I noticed that this works a lot better if I turn the slider in capture one -20-30 saturation and use your action. In general the pictures came out more natural when I desaturated it and used color perfect.

That's odd. Did you use the PS actions I supplied?

Nov 11, 2016 at 03:00 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Scanning portrait 160

Yep I used the action and still so heavy reddish and yellow tones to the image. So I went back into capture one and desaturated the pictures before running your actions and they came out pretty decent.
edge100 wrote:
That's odd. Did you use the PS actions I supplied?

Nov 13, 2016 at 01:23 AM
edge100
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Scanning portrait 160

Alexluu627 wrote:
Yep I used the action and still so heavy reddish and yellow tones to the image. So I went back into capture one and desaturated the pictures before running your actions and they came out pretty decent.

Hmmm...very interesting. I've never had that issue before in LR. Might run a few tests in the C1 demo, then.

Nov 13, 2016 at 02:21 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Scanning portrait 160

Very nice article, Michael. Although I won't be scanning film with a DSLR, I still find it interesting to read about different methods and approaches in photography. I do have a Phase One medium format digital back at my disposal, but since I don't have huge amounts of film scan orders, decided it would be easier to opt for a Hasselblad Flextight X5 over the Phase/DT film scanning method. Your efforts putting together a good alternative for scanning with a DSLR shows.

Ken
www.carmelfineartprinting.com

Nov 13, 2016 at 04:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password