Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Upgrading a Workhorse: 70-200 2.8

PureMichigan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrading a Workhorse: 70-200 2.8

Guys, I have a Gen 1 Nikon 70-200MM 2.8 VR1 -- literally bought it the first month it came our in 2003.

At the time all Nikon DSLRs were crop sensors and this lens was optimized for those sensors. This thing has been the workhorse of my kit --- it has probably been on 95% shoots for more than a decade. It's as much a body part as it is a piece of kit.

Fast forward to late 2016 -- the new version of this lens will be out in a week. Full frame optimized and 13 years of technology developments later.

The version I have is certainly good -- no issues, per se, but what is the tipping point for upgrading on brand and butter lens like this.

Thoughts?

Nov 07, 2016 at 09:41 PM
mb126
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrading a Workhorse: 70-200 2.8

Canon shooter so I can't offer specific advice on VR1 vs VR2. However, there are a few lenses that I think it makes sense to throw the kitchen sink at. For me, the 70-200 f/2.8 is one of them because I have one with me 95% of the time I am on a paid assignment-- portraiture, sports, weddings, etc.

I'd say go with VR3 in spite of the cost.

Nov 07, 2016 at 10:47 PM
gordorad
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrading a Workhorse: 70-200 2.8

I'd say stay with what works. Unless future assignments will ask you if you have the "latest and greatest". Ask yourself....Do you think this lens will get you more work? Will it change a single thing?

Nov 08, 2016 at 08:40 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrading a Workhorse: 70-200 2.8

PureMichigan wrote:
The version I have is certainly good -- no issues, per se, but what is the tipping point for upgrading on brand and butter lens like this.

Thoughts?

What is different now to the work you were doing 13 years ago when you got the lens and how would the new model help with the way the work has changed in what you shoot now?

What problems will the new Lens solve you are having with this one?

Do you get any complaints from your paying clients that the new lens would fix?

Will your clients pay you more for work you shoot on the new lens, will it benefit your work flow, the number of assignments you get or increase your bottom line in any way shape or form?

Why are you asking what other people think? Are you happy with your current lens but worried how your social standing and other credibility might be taken among other shooters?

Exactly what actual benefits will the newer technology bring to your work that would be tangible to you or your clients?

Would you be buying the new lens for business or feel good reasons?

IF the new gear would have real and tangible benefits that would increase your business or profits or solve issues such as reliability, then you have sold business reasons why it would be a smart purchase.

If there are no business reasons, then it's an indulgence and you have already made your mind up you want it and are looking for justification here.
You don't need that, do whatever the hell you want that will make you happy and stuff what anyone else thinks.

They aren't paying for it, you are with your money so spend it however makes you happiest!

Nov 08, 2016 at 09:19 AM
mikephotos23
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrading a Workhorse: 70-200 2.8

I'm in the same (similar) situation but instead of VR1 vs the new 'VR3', I'm currently shooting with an older 80-200 AF-D 2-ring. So, for me it's a slightly easier decision as the jump should reap greater rewards. My hesitation is, do I go for a new VR3 or a low mileage used VR2?

That said, I might just follow glort's advice and 'spend it [my money] however makes me happy!'

Nov 08, 2016 at 10:43 AM
z33k3r

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgrading a Workhorse: 70-200 2.8

Honestly, I'd be less concerned about the image quality than I would about the focus ring being swapped with the zoom ring. This has huge impact on how you hold and use the lens day to day... especially on one of the most critical lenses in your bag...

Nov 08, 2016 at 10:51 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgrading a Workhorse: 70-200 2.8

From a non-money making perspective: I don't have a fancy car, don't have a swimming pool or the newest golf clubs. But, I shoot a lot. Both professionally and personally and I derive some sense of pleasure from shooting with some of the finest equipment made knowing that I've given myself the best chance of capturing great images, for both clients and my family and me. As a Canon shooter, the difference between the v1 and v2 was significant, very significant. I believe a portion of my resulting images are partly the result of having confidence that when I shoot, I'm going to get a nice sharp image with a high degree of certainity. If your current lens does not instill this confidence, then it might be time to upgrade. I don't believe it's possible to jusitfy these type of upgrades from a financial perspective as you will never know if the new lens generated additional income or the old lens prevented you from generating additional income. There are just too many variables to ever know that with any degree of certainity, so do what makes you happy.

Nov 08, 2016 at 11:40 AM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upgrading a Workhorse: 70-200 2.8

PureMichigan wrote:
Guys, I have a Gen 1 Nikon 70-200MM 2.8 VR1 -- literally bought it the first month it came our in 2003.

At the time all Nikon DSLRs were crop sensors and this lens was optimized for those sensors. This thing has been the workhorse of my kit --- it has probably been on 95% shoots for more than a decade. It's as much a body part as it is a piece of kit.

Fast forward to late 2016 -- the new version of this lens will be out in a week. Full frame optimized and 13 years of technology developments
...Show more

I shoot with both systems and the 70-200 is my go-to lens for basketball, wrestling, gymnastics and volleyball action but, more importantly from a photographic and monetary standpoint, is what I use for my teams and individuals and studio/on-location portraits...which is where the money's at.

The latest version of the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 is the lens I use most due to its amazing sharpness, contrast and superior image stabilization but the Nikon version II is equally impressive from my tests.

I would try out a V II Nikon 70-200 to see if you have been missing anything. I've had my V1 for several years now but never felt the need to upgrade since it was long since paid off and still generates income.

If you are a full-time professional requiring the ultimate in image quality and can justify the $2700 price tag, I would say go for it without hesitation.

Nov 08, 2016 at 12:14 PM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upgrading a Workhorse: 70-200 2.8

Thanks guys -- good input. I'm going to rent one before I buy. I share the concerns about the zoom/focus ring swap. It's the lens equivalent of switching the gas pedal and brake in a car. I guess I could get used to it but not without some accidents along the way. And why do it in the first place? Not sure I can fight more than a decade of muscle memory at my advanced age!

PS: After writing this , i went home and popped my old 70-200 on my D5 and ran a little experiment to see if it was more stable for be to zoom with the ring closer to the camera body or at the far end of the barrels it is wth the new lens.

Your results may vary but for me, it wasn't event close. Some of it may just be habit and ingrained technique but I was significantly more stable overall with the zoom/focus old configuration that I would be if they were swapped.(I was hoping for the opposite result)

Edited on Nov 09, 2016 at 10:01 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2016 at 09:17 AM
mikephotos23
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Upgrading a Workhorse: 70-200 2.8

The swapped rings will be a tough nut to crack for those with any real time on the older models but these initial samples (not a definitive test by any means) posted online by a user is really making me think about grabbing one. I've left plenty of hints for Santa (aka the wife).

http://foto-info.si/nikon-af-s-70-200mm-f2-8e-fl-ed-vr-first-test-photos/

Mike

Nov 09, 2016 at 03:33 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.