New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · One fall picture, one years growth

Vcook
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · One fall picture, one years growth

I picked up photography as a hobby a little over a year ago, primarily to just take better pictures of my kids. It's been immensely rewarding to me and I'm starting to get captures that I'm really proud of. I owe a lot to this site for both information and inspiration. Thanks to everyone, CC is always appreciated!

This was a picture I took of my daughter a year ago, and was pretty proud of at the time. Looking back, this is little better than a snapshot.
http://i.imgur.com/qbvrUly.jpg

This is a picture I took of my daughter yesterday, so much closer to what I want to be doing!
http://i.imgur.com/7eN8IsK.jpg

Nov 07, 2016 at 10:05 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · One fall picture, one years growth

It's obviously a big improvement between the two. I'd be interested in your observations about why it's an improvement, and what you have learned in a year that would enable you to replicate these results any time you need to.

Nov 07, 2016 at 12:16 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · One fall picture, one years growth

Yeah, that's a huge improvement, and a really nice shot of your daughter this year.

Next time, for this look you're going for, turn her completely away from the sun so the direct light doesn't spill onto her face. I love the colors in the background that go so well with what she's wearing and her hairpiece. Great job!

Nov 07, 2016 at 12:25 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · One fall picture, one years growth

Steve Wylie wrote:
It's obviously a big improvement between the two. I'd be interested in your observations about why it's an improvement, and what you have learned in a year that would enable you to replicate these results any time you need to.

My understanding of light has improved dramatically, as well as my composition. Also, just a little bit of planning in advance makes a tremendous difference. Yesterday was just a quick shoot since we were visiting family, but I took the time to check out the location the day before and while I was there gather a bunch of leaves to make the leaf crown.
Why is it an improvement? Better focus, better lighting, better planning, less distracting background, there are so many reasons. The first picture is really little better than a snapshot, at the time I was happy with it but I put little additional effort into the current picture with much better results.
---------------------------------------------

friscoron wrote:
Yeah, that's a huge improvement, and a really nice shot of your daughter this year.

Next time, for this look you're going for, turn her completely away from the sun so the direct light doesn't spill onto her face. I love the colors in the background that go so well with what she's wearing and her hairpiece. Great job!

I agree Ron, I didn't realize there was that that patch of light hitting her until I was in post, was bummed out that I missed it at the time. This was near midday so not the best conditions to work in but you get what you get sometimes.

I hope the next year provides a similar realization as I continue to work at this!

Nov 07, 2016 at 01:14 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.