Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Markets will go up now, want to buy a 70-200mm Mk II Where?

AvianScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Markets will go up now, want to buy a 70-200mm Mk II Where?

Adorama has an open box 70-200 for $1699. Full factory warranty.

http://www.adorama.com/ca702002isuo.html?emailprice=t&sub=used-37997057&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62259

Nov 06, 2016 at 10:45 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Markets will go up now, want to buy a 70-200mm Mk II Where?

Dealers can sell or any price they want, but cannot advertise for less than MSRP. Don't be afraid to call your dealer and ask for a lower price. If there is a accessory you want, like spare batteries, or tripod, you can often get items thrown in at no extra cost. Just be sure they are not junk throw-aways.

Nov 06, 2016 at 11:22 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Markets will go up now, want to buy a 70-200mm Mk II Where?

I too can understand you hesitating to buy used, but I do see that many members here regularly buy and sell items of considerable value. If I saw something that I was shopping for posted on the B&S board here and it was being sold buy a well regarded member of the community with a lot of good feedback I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them ..... but to buy used I would need to see at a minimum 25% savings over new

Nov 07, 2016 at 02:18 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Markets will go up now, want to buy a 70-200mm Mk II Where?

It's not exactly much of a money-saver, but I have bought "newer" but slightly used lenses from LensRentals.com. For example, I bought a spotless 100-400 II from them right after it came out, and all the retailers were out for a while. Told up front I wanted to buy it, they even promised to pick out a cosmetically perfect one for me, even though the insides were more important to me than the outside.

If I truly want to avoid the possibility of buying an "outlier", that is, a new-but-somehow-faulty lens, and I also want to skip the exhaustive testing often required to determine if the problem is in the lens or somewhere in my technique, it's hard to find a better option. After a lens is rented, LensRentals technicians bench it for a battery of tests and checks to make sure it's still operating at its peak. If not, the lens is adjusted until it's again perfect. I don't think anywhere other than Canon could be as reliable, and even Canon has had their share of complaints.

And no, I don't work for LensRentals, I just admire their business model and ethic.

Jerry

Nov 07, 2016 at 12:55 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Markets will go up now, want to buy a 70-200mm Mk II Where?

Just my minor European opinion - but I'd never buy an used lens if I can get it brand new with full warranty. 70-200 L IS II is such a lens. If you were in the market for a Gen. 1 IS supertelephotos, that you can't get brand new with full warranty anymore, that would be another matter.

But I'm well aware that the used market is vastly different in the US, so don't mind me much.

Nov 07, 2016 at 01:31 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Markets will go up now, want to buy a 70-200mm Mk II Where?

bootster wrote:
I'm gun-shy, for lack of a better term, about buying used. I don't really know why, but with something like this would be really nice to get a brand spanking new one.

I got a refurb 100-400 II last week...the 15% off code tipped my impulse.
I cannot for the life of me find a single spec on it. Not on the glass, not on the paint, not on the tripod threads...I just have no fancy box for it, that's it.

Similarly, used items that are rated 9 or 9+ in the used market of this and other fora, are usually as good as new, or at least as good as your brand new lens would be after 2-3 outings. Usually you only see rub marks on the hood that can literarly happen in the bag day 1.

I think the only piece of Canon gear I own right now that was bought new, was the 6D battery grip...
Everything else was either used or refurbished, and I have zero regrets.

Nov 07, 2016 at 08:35 PM
bootster
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Markets will go up now, want to buy a 70-200mm Mk II Where?

dtolios wrote:
I got a refurb 100-400 II last week...the 15% off code tipped my impulse.
I cannot for the life of me find a single spec on it. Not on the glass, not on the paint, not on the tripod threads...I just have no fancy box for it, that's it.

Similarly, used items that are rated 9 or 9+ in the used market of this and other fora, are usually as good as new, or at least as good as your brand new lens would be after 2-3 outings. Usually you only see rub marks on the hood that can literarly happen in
...Show more

I had the same experience with all three of my lenses I bought from them. They looked newer than new, and they were probably gone over with a fine tooth comb before shipped out. Since I'm not in a desperate position, I think they may pull something off on or around black Friday.

Nov 07, 2016 at 10:55 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.