New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Newest Edit

Assocracer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Newest Edit

Here is my latest and greatest. I think this is the best picture I've taken yet. Played around with it a bit in photoshop (increased the sharpness a bit, increased the saturation a bit and set the lens profile to the correct lens all in adobe camera raw). I like how it turned out except the sun area is still a bit bright. I can't figure out how to bring that area down just a bit. I've included the original too. Had to crop it a bit because the filter holder I have seems to show up now that I have a full frame camera. Shot with a Canon 5D2, 2 sec shutter spped, 100 ISO, f/16 and ND3 graduated filter and an ND8 full filter. CC appreciated.

Edited Shot:

Original Shot:

Nov 06, 2016 at 02:47 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Newest Edit

Very nice image with a pleasing clarity and a serene feel. I was thinking about cropping some bottom may be.
Socrate

Nov 06, 2016 at 04:58 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Newest Edit

After leveling the horizon and instead of fighting with the bright area , why not try bringing up - by burning - the other orange areas to match the luminosity of the part that bothers you?

Nov 06, 2016 at 07:38 PM
Assocracer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Newest Edit

You're right, the horizon isn't totally level even though when I was using the grid squares in Magic Lantern it appeared to be level. Not quite sure how to do what you explained though. I'm still learning Photoshop.

Nov 06, 2016 at 08:13 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Newest Edit

Assocracer wrote:
You're right, the horizon isn't totally level even though when I was using the grid squares in Magic Lantern it appeared to be level. Not quite sure how to do what you explained though. I'm still learning Photoshop.

An easy method in Photoshop for checking whether a horizon is level is to use the task bar at top of the screen. Click "view" > show > grid.

To burn (darken) an area click on the burn tool in the tool bar on the left, set a low exposure and carefully "paint" over the area you want changed.

Remember in Photoshop there are many ways to achieve similar results.

Nov 06, 2016 at 09:12 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Newest Edit

I like the sun the way it is. I think you need something in that tonal range in the photo. Also, if you bring it down too much, the foreground would look unnaturally bright.

You can easily play with the area in PS, though. Create a curves layer. Click the lower left part of the curve and drag it down. The entire photo will darken. Get the sun tonality a little darker than where you want it. Then click the mask in the curves layer and hit <Ctrl><I>. This will invert the mask and the effect will go away. Then choose your brush tool and make sure it is set to white. Turn the opacity down to maybe 30 or 40% and paint over the sun area.

The good news is if you don't like it or you make a mistake, you can just delete the curves layer and start again.

As Rick says, there are a number of ways to achieve the same result, this is just one of them.

Nov 07, 2016 at 09:09 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.