New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Low temp advice please

KapHn8d
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Low temp advice please

I am planning a back country trip in Wyoming on a friend's family land near Jackson in February and need some advice on prepping (from a gear perspective) for the colder temps.

I will be out for 8 to 12 hours at a stretch with a small group on snowmobile and want to pack my gear for landscape vistas throughout the couple of day trip. The last time I was in the Jackson area, I tried to take a pre-dawn pano of the Teton range in about -24F temps and was only able to get a handful of exposures before my battery was shot (pic: http://tinyurl.com/zomxv8k). Relatively speaking, the camera and batteries were outside a short period of time during that shoot compared to this trip... albeit the temps were much more extreme.

Not that it specifically would alter the advice, but as a data point, I am shooting with a 1Dx in case someone has personal experience with that platform, but really this is a general "how do you handle cold weather and battery life and/or gear performance". I don't have experience here and would sincerely appreciate some tribal knowledge.

Thanks so much!
/clayton

Nov 05, 2016 at 02:22 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Low temp advice please

I don't shoot a lot in very low temperature but I might travel to very cold place in a few months so I want to see how others deal with that too.

My solutions...
1, Keep a few batteries in the inner pockets of the jacket and keep swapping them, the cold battery would come back alive when it's warm enough.
2, external power solution: connect a dummy camera battery to an external battery pack. I use a Anker 12v/USB battery but I have seen a company making an adapter (that seems more simple ) that connects ordinary USB power banks to camera(they have various dummy batteries for different cameras, and they take care of the voltage too). Of course the battery should be kept warm likely in inner pocket (or using thermal pads)

So basically I would keep the batteries warm with body heat... the most reliable, always ready and environmental friendly heat source.

Nov 05, 2016 at 04:01 PM
JameelH
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Low temp advice please

Keeping some hand warmers in your jacket pocket along with the batteries also work. They last a few hours.

Nov 05, 2016 at 07:37 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Low temp advice please

Here's my Trip Report from a trip to Inner Mongolia (temps -30C down to -50C), pages 1 and 3 give clothing and equipment lists and how well they worked (or didn't).

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=299706&highlight=Mongolia

Nov 05, 2016 at 07:43 PM
Copypaste
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Low temp advice please

KapHn8d wrote:
I am planning a back country trip in Wyoming on a friend's family land near Jackson in February and need some advice on prepping (from a gear perspective) for the colder temps.

I will be out for 8 to 12 hours at a stretch with a small group on snowmobile and want to pack my gear for landscape vistas throughout the couple of day trip. The last time I was in the Jackson area, I tried to take a pre-dawn pano of the Teton range in about -24F temps and was only able to get a handful of exposures before
...Show more

Clayton,

In april I skied across "Hardangervidda" in Norway, in temps between 14 and -14F. It was a 6 day trip, sleeping in a tent. So basically the camera I brought with me, a Canon 1D X, was outside in constantly freezing temps the whole time. I did not "take care" of the battery/batteries in any way. It was just in the camera the whole time, being pulled in the sled or staying beside me in the tent. No body heat to warm it up or anything. And listen to this: I didn't even change batteries! Crazy. Just one battery for the whole trip. Not sure exactly how many photos I took, but I did not take much care regarding battery usage - I just took photos whenever I wanted to shoot. I shot every day, intermittently.

So to sum it up: the 1D X battery is quite something. This will probably vary depending on how much you chimp and if you use servo a lot and in what condition you battery is in. The one I used is 1 of 2 batteries I bought with the camera summer 2012. It still shows as having great performance.

I can't make any guarantees of course, but this was my real life experience anyway.

Have a great trip!

Nov 05, 2016 at 08:12 PM
KapHn8d
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Low temp advice please

Thank you (all) for sharing your personal experience and providing some tips that may prove helpful. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to reply!

/c

Nov 06, 2016 at 04:08 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Low temp advice please

Up here in Canada, Winter is Coming!

I shoot outside well below zero all the time. As others have mentioned, things you have to watch out for on the shoot are the battery (cold kills them) and the LCD (the "L" stands for "liquid").

Cameras generally can take the cold. In fact, it's usually better to not try to keep the camera warm by putting it in your jacket and taking it out only to shoot. Do that with the batteries if that's the only way to work, but constant cooling/warming creates condensation, which is death for electronics.

Another piece of good advice I follow is to put cameras and lenses inside clean, dry zip lock bags before you bring them into a warm place after shooting and let them warm up inside the bag. This cuts way down on the condensation problem.

Edited on Nov 26, 2016 at 01:18 PM · View previous versions

Nov 06, 2016 at 04:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Low temp advice please

I simply carry three batteries, all three in my inner pocket until ready to shoot. If the camera is going to be on a tripod for several hours, I tape a chemical handwarmer over the outside grip where the battery goes in, sometimes with a flap of aluminum foil over it (shiny side in.) Really, it's a matter of rotating batteries. I just doubt it's going get all THAT could in WY though, that you would need a warmer taped to the camera.

The big issue is condensation. i generally just keep my camera gear out in my car overnight and bring in the memory card only. If you do bring the camera in, make sure it's tightly zipped in it's padded bag, and don't open it for five or six hours. You can see water condensing on the outside, but it's the water you don't see on the inside that is the problem.

To save battery power, don't keep chimping, turn off VR if not needed, use AF sparingly.

Kent in SD

Nov 08, 2016 at 12:32 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Low temp advice please

I'm rather surprised to see that nothing need to be done in -14F. I have tried doing long exposure in -35C with my (now ancient) Nikon and a cold battery only last a few shots.

Nov 08, 2016 at 01:24 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Low temp advice please

ytwong wrote:
I'm rather surprised to see that nothing need to be done in -14F. I have tried doing long exposure in -35C with my (now ancient) Nikon and a cold battery only last a few shots.

Was this a film camera with alkaline AA batteries? Those generally start having problems when colder than 20F.

Kent in SD

Nov 08, 2016 at 01:44 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Low temp advice please

To heat batteries up take the adhesive hot hands and stick them to the batteries.

I forgot the process but there is one for bring your gear outside and back in.

Nov 08, 2016 at 01:52 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Low temp advice please

No. That was a Nikon D100.

Talking about film cameras, I have used Nikkormat FT3 (actually my fathers') in -37C and no problem whatsoever... except that it's a big piece of metal and became rather uncomfortable to use in such cold temperature.

Nov 08, 2016 at 06:41 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Low temp advice please

ytwong wrote:
No. That was a Nikon D100.

Talking about film cameras, I have used Nikkormat FT3 (actually my fathers') in -37C and no problem whatsoever... except that it's a big piece of metal and became rather uncomfortable to use in such cold temperature.

My coldest temp was up in Devils Lake, ND about a dozen years ago. It was -42F. The batteries were the least of my problem--the film actually snapped during rewind on my F100.

Kent in SD

Nov 09, 2016 at 12:24 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Low temp advice please

The spare batteries inside coat pockets works well. Another thing that does is the chemical hand and foot warmers taped onto the camera where the battery fits - under it if possible. They last a few hours and if you cover them with a cloth or neoprene you keep the whole area warm and the batteries last longer.
Shoot Canon 1DsMkIII and 1DMkIV bodies and have not found the cold to wipe out my batteries. Try re-chargind, discharging and re-forming to get the best life from them.

Am in North Dakota, USA up near the Canadian border and photograph all winter long.

Nov 17, 2016 at 01:33 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password