FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

Shield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

Anyone notice this? Michael is a very level headed objective guy and really would respect anything he's said (He is the "mentor" after all). Just curious if anyone's noticed this.

Nov 05, 2016 at 09:19 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

Could be a recall, could be a firmware update, could be nothing.

But it's enough to give me pause, especially when we'll most likely see a D810 replacement in Q1 2017 (I know, I know).

Nov 05, 2016 at 10:18 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

Just posted this to the CR thread:

This isn't an uncommon issue, although the degree to which it affects the image can vary. I just tried it on my Nikon D7200 (Toshiba APS-C sensor with one of the highest DR available today) and see similar blooming affects. Here's a full size image, shot raw and pushed +5EV in LR CC:

D7200 with bright light source at edge, +5EV in LR

Other cameras which exhibit this include the Sony A6000.

Nov 05, 2016 at 12:05 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

Oh, well. I hardly ever use the left one-third.

On a more serious note, this is a bit disturbing.

Nov 05, 2016 at 12:27 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

I did similar tests on 5D4 RAW files in LR and thought I came across horizontal banding...

Nov 05, 2016 at 01:21 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

This came up with the BM camers.

This is on a Red One MX. I think it gets explained in one of the BM threads.

https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2011/06/06/the-old-venetian-blind-trick/

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6072

Nov 05, 2016 at 03:38 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

Common Canon, for the sake of your sales.

http://i1.wp.com/thenewcamera.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Summry-of-results.jpg

Nov 05, 2016 at 04:06 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

SouthwestS2K wrote:

Common Canon, for the sake of your sales.

http://i1.wp.com/thenewcamera.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Summry-of-results.jpg

The sales drop is based on the exchange rate, the Yen has jumped in value, so sales quantities appear to be dropping to someone who does not understand the chart. They even help you out by showing the exchange rates on the bottom.

The amount shown does not reflect the number of cameras being sold relative to 2015.

If the Yen had not gone up in value, the sales figure would read about 1.19 greater or 925.8. If the Yen had dropped in value, the sales would exceed last years.

So, its true that Canon and all other Japanese exporters were badly hurt by Brexit and the subsequent rise in the value of the Yen. Another way to view it is that the price you pay has dropped by 19%, since the importers pay in Yen.

Nov 06, 2016 at 04:26 PM
JohanEickmeyer
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

snapsy wrote:
Just posted this to the CR thread:

This isn't an uncommon issue, although the degree to which it affects the image can vary. I just tried it on my Nikon D7200 (Toshiba APS-C sensor with one of the highest DR available today) and see similar blooming affects. Here's a full size image, shot raw and pushed +5EV in LR CC:

D7200 with bright light source at edge, +5EV in LR

Other cameras which exhibit this include the Sony A6000.

Strange. I wonder if those streaks are caused by the readout of each line and somehow the signal from the overexposed areas isn't causing some signal changes over to the other pixel areas in dark?

The issue I see on the 5D4 looks different even in scenes without the bright area. Seems like a larger type of bands that have a distinct color cast.

Either way, this is a bad rep the 5D series has had for banding type artifacts since the 5D2. Seems like the curse has carried over to the 5D4, albeit with the need to push the files more to get the problem. Since this camera is going to be used by wedding and landscape photographers, it would have been nice to see some clean random noise at the bottom of the dynamic range.

Nov 06, 2016 at 05:04 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

JohanEickmeyer wrote:
Strange. I wonder if those streaks are caused by the readout of each line and somehow the signal from the overexposed areas isn't causing some signal changes over to the other pixel areas in dark?

The issue I see on the 5D4 looks different even in scenes without the bright area. Seems like a larger type of bands that have a distinct color cast.

Either way, this is a bad rep the 5D series has had for banding type artifacts since the 5D2. Seems like the curse has carried over to the 5D4, albeit with the need to push the files
...Show more

If I had to guess I would say these artifacts on both the 5D4 and D7200 are the result of signal processing that the camera is applying to actually avoid banding. The algorithm is likely not handling the extreme exposure differential case that can occur on a single row of pixels and so its application of its de-banding processing is producing the inverse effect.

Nov 06, 2016 at 05:13 PM
shadewind
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

Has anyone heard of someone who got this issue fixed by Canon? I'd send my camera in but I'd first like to know that this isn't just an inherent limitation to the 5D Mark IV. I've only seen people who say it doesn't appear on their copies but that could just be incorrect testing. I want to see the same person testing two different cameras and say one of the is problem free.

Dec 31, 2016 at 05:51 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

What am I missing here?

A professional photog buys a $3500 body, underexposes by 2 stops and then pushes exposure in post 2 stops to compensate and slams the shadows up 100% and thinks the problem is with the camera?

This is not meant as a slam or sarcasm toward anyone. Just a legit question as it appears I'm clearly missing something here.

Jan 03, 2017 at 05:07 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

I dug this thread up as I found some strange banding yesterday in one of my shots.

The banding was in the same location where other similar shots were showing some lens flare. But in one file after raising the exposure 5 stops and shadows, there was some crazy isolated horizontal banding across the entire image.

I will post a shot of what it looks like. I don't really care about it as it didn't happen in all the shots and it only appears in ridiculous PP of underexposed images.

Original

Pushed with purple/green banding line in the lower 1/3 of the frame over the deepest shadow area. Up your monitor brightness to see it better.

Original but not underexposed as much

Pushed

How I processed the 2nd shot to my liking...

Jan 08, 2017 at 09:21 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

I've seen it with, as Arbitrage said, ridiculous amounts of pushing. Mainly, I underexposed and pushed to find the limit. It's pretty much a non-issue to me, but as always, YMMV. I was able to get more out of the Mk 4 than I could out of the Mk 3.

Jan 08, 2017 at 10:23 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

I'm not seeing this in my files (although I seldom miss the exposure by much more than a stop unless I'm deliberately doing so for merging to HDR). What am I missing?

As Shot

5-Stop Push

Jan 08, 2017 at 10:26 AM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

Is this an Adobe RAW converter issue? Does anyone see the same in Canon DPP?

massive underexposure never makes a usable image

Jan 08, 2017 at 11:03 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

rattlebonez wrote:

I'll try DPP now and report back.

Molson, I have similar files that don't show it even with full 5 stop and shadow max push. Like the one in image 3/4/5 Although that one wasn't as underexposed. So it doesn't always happen. Or maybe only some cameras have an issue, or maybe it is the RAW converter.

Just confirmed DPP shows it also...

DPP is much harder to lift the exposure and only allows 3 stops plus a weak shadow push. Had to go into curves to push it harder to show the lines. They are harder to see here but still there in the same spots.

Added a second DPP version to show the lines better with contrast and saturation

DPP output with +3 exposure, max shadow raise and then had to go into curves to get it to lift the exposure enough

Jan 08, 2017 at 01:25 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

arbitrage wrote:
Molson, I have similar files that don't show it even with full 5 stop and shadow max push. Like the one in image 3/4/5 Although that one wasn't as underexposed. So it doesn't always happen. Or maybe only some cameras have an issue, or maybe it is the RAW converter.

Maybe it wasn't the box that was damaged...?

Jan 08, 2017 at 01:32 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

rattlebonez wrote:

So this wouldn't be a useable image to you? Granted an exposure more like the 2nd one in the OP is a better starting point....

And I'm not in the habit of pushing 5 stops either, as I said in the OP, I'm not concerned about this issue, just thought I'd add another confirmation that it does exist.

Jan 08, 2017 at 01:36 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 5D Mark 4 Sensor Issue - Exposure Streaking in RAW

Similar issue reported by a 5D4 user on NSN (few posts down): https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=267182

Jan 08, 2017 at 06:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.