New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

Hi Folks
I have the wonderful Voigtlander 90mm Apo-Lanthar SLII in Canon mount.

I was wondering if the M Mount version of the Voigtlander 90 Apo_Lanthar is the same lens but with longer min focus distance?

Both are 6 elements in 5 groups, SL version has 9 blade aperture while the M mount version has 10 blades.

Can anyone shed any light on similarities between these 2.

The SL version has much closer focus (and comes bundled with close-up filter), can I get the same close focus if I use the M mount version on a close focus adapter?

Cheers

Nov 05, 2016 at 12:17 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

johnahill wrote:
Hi Folks

I was wondering if the M Mount version of the Voigtlander 90 Apo_Lanthar is the same lens but with longer min focus distance?

Both are 6 elements in 5 groups, SL version has 9 blade aperture while the M mount version has 10 blades.

The SL version has much closer focus (and comes bundled with close-up filter), can I get the same close focus if I use the M mount version on a close focus adapter?

Cheers

I don know the answer to your question, but I seem to recall photozone reviewing both the SLR version and the Leica mount version and getting better results with the sir version. Of course that might just be sample variation.

Nov 05, 2016 at 12:27 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

johnahill wrote:
Hi Folks

Cheers

I don't think Cosina has ever been clear on how these lenses are similar/different. Physically the lenses are shaped very differently. The SL version is short and fat and the M version is long and skinny, so it doesn't seem like they would have exactly the same optical formula, but they might. You will get about the same close focus capability with a helicoid adapter (depending on the adapter as they vary in how much extension they provide) but I don't know if the performance will be the same. I wish I could help more. Like you I had the SL II version and it work well with a metabones adapter on my at the time Sony A7 II.

Nov 05, 2016 at 01:08 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

No M mount, but LTM:

DSC08424 by unoh7, on Flickr

I was convinced they were different optically, but in an elarier discussion somebody made a good case they are the same. I'm not sure if the Hawks close focus can get you as close as the SLR version, I just checked and the LTM will do about 60cm with the hawks.

Last light over Bluff Creek by unoh7, on Flickr

L1006289 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1025627 by unoh7, on Flickr

Here on A7:

DSC08579 by unoh7, on Flickr

The SLR version has a better rep than the LTM. That may or may not mean anything.

I once shot it side by side with the Bokina, which was a little better. For M there are a great number of fantastic 85s and 90s, of many sizes.

For smaller ones, I like the Summarit and Hex-90. The Hex 90 is really sweet and only the TE90 thin is smaller. TE 90 is also a good option as it is not too expensive:

DSC08698-2 by unoh7, TE 90 thin on A7m

That 90/2.8 is smaller and lighter than the CV 90/3.5 LTM. Easier to find also.

TE90 thin at 5.6:

L1054135 by unoh7, on Flickr

Best handling 90 I've ever had on the A7

DSC05747-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

But it needs a bigger hood than you see there. It is famous for flare, but that's moot with the right hood, one like the CV 90 LTM has.

Nov 05, 2016 at 05:49 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

According to Ernst Puts, the CV is the Elmarit's match or even slightly better. Recall that it's APO corrected as well.

It was my impression that the M and SL versions of the 3,5/90 shared the same optical formula. Cameraquest displays the diagram for each and they appear to be identical.

Nov 05, 2016 at 07:04 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

f.hayek wrote:
According to Ernst Puts, the CV is the Elmarit's match or even slightly better. Recall that it's APO corrected as well.

It was my impression that the M and SL versions of the 3,5/90 shared the same optical formula. Cameraquest displays the diagram for each and they appear to be identical.

Yes, Puts and other accounts lead me to the CV, but I have never have bonded well with it. It should be sharper than the TE 90 thin, by quite a bit. Yet it does not seem way sharper, and the OOF render can be quite strange. This could be my copy and shooting with the bodies I have. The Summarit is well ahead of the CV for me for sharpness and it has the Leica color signature. The CV lenses are all over the place in color, and APO is often a subjective label.

Just my take.

Nov 06, 2016 at 05:22 AM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

uhoh7 wrote:
The CV lenses are all over the place in color, and APO is often a subjective label.

Just my take.

I would suspect you're right, given its modest price. Precision assembly costs money.

However, I can vouch for the CV 125, one of the greatest lenses I ever owned. Colors were absolutely fantastic, sumptuous and correct. Not to mention the bokeh and resolution. Really miss it (but don't miss the weight of the entire rig).

Nov 06, 2016 at 01:51 PM
Olaf G
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

uhoh7 wrote:
The CV lenses are all over the place in color, and APO is often a subjective label.

Just my take.

+1
I've shot a comparison between the Voigtländer S 85/3.5 APO-Lanthar (which optical design I believe is very similar if not identical to the 90mm M-Mount) and the Contax Sonnar 85mm f2,8 and the CV was as much APO as the Contax...

Nov 06, 2016 at 02:17 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

uhoh7 wrote:
Yes, Puts and other accounts lead me to the CV, but I have never have bonded well with it. It should be sharper than the TE 90 thin, by quite a bit. Yet it does not seem way sharper, and the OOF render can be quite strange. This could be my copy and shooting with the bodies I have. The Summarit is well ahead of the CV for me for sharpness and it has the Leica color signature. The CV lenses are all over the place in color, and APO is often a subjective label.

Just my take.

Yes, I think this is why Roger tests multiple copies of lenses. You might want to look at the comparison that I just did between the 90 Cron AA, the 90/4 Macro Elmar and the CV 90/3.5 screw mount in the 90 Macro Elmar thread. To save band width, I'm not going to cross post.

Nov 06, 2016 at 03:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

I dug up a bunch of CV 90 shots, both on stock A7 and M9. One thing is my copy does seem very even.

You can see the shots in this post

These are mostly long landscapes where you can follow the definition of little trees several miles away in clear air, as you move from the center of the image to the edge.

Nov 06, 2016 at 06:57 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

f.hayek wrote:
I would suspect you're right, given its modest price. Precision assembly costs money.

However, I can vouch for the CV 125, one of the greatest lenses I ever owned. Colors were absolutely fantastic, sumptuous and correct. Not to mention the bokeh and resolution. Really miss it (but don't miss the weight of the entire rig).

Optically the CV 125 is very, very nice at longer distances. In the macro range contrast is a little lower I think. Do note that there are plastic parts inside the lens, so handle with care. Zeiss and Leica lenses are better built.

Nov 07, 2016 at 01:06 AM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

bjornthun wrote:
Optically the CV 125 is very, very nice at longer distances. In the macro range contrast is a little lower I think. Do note that there are plastic parts inside the lens, so handle with care. Zeiss and Leica lenses are better built.

I remember the plastic bit part long ago when the crowd on the old Nikongear would disassemble their CV's all the time. It can't be a Zeiss or Leica for the money but like Sigma, when they hit the mark, they do so very well. This is clearly the case with the 125; I would regularly use it for portraits and had no complaints. The 180, however, I found less satisfying; not as sharp or high-contrast as the Macro, but then again, could have been sample variation. I liked the 90 a lot, though. Very compact and fun to use. At ƒ/5.6, really sharp across the frame and just great color rendition.

Nov 07, 2016 at 04:51 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

f.hayek wrote:
I remember the plastic bit part long ago when the crowd on the old Nikongear would disassemble their CV's all the time. It can't be a Zeiss or Leica for the money but like Sigma, when they hit the mark, they do so very well. This is clearly the case with the 125; I would regularly use it for portraits and had no complaints. The 180, however, I found less satisfying; not as sharp or high-contrast as the Macro, but then again, could have been sample variation. I liked the 90 a lot, though. Very compact and fun to use.
...Show more

I find the 180 amazing. I used find it less amazing at infinity; but since getting the TechArt adapter I think that is because the helociod has very short throw in the infinity range, and it's exceptionally hard to focus accurately, even in magnified live view. But the TechArt, using it's own extension and a Sony A7 II series cameras AF system, can nail it if it's pre-focussed, and it's a revelation.

Nov 07, 2016 at 05:33 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

I don't know the answer to your actual question but as an aside the black paint finish on Voigtlander LTM lenses is garbage. So if it is the same optics you definitely want to stay with the anodized aluminum one you have. SL, SL II, and at-least-more-recent M Voigtlanders are anodized aluminum.

Nov 07, 2016 at 06:17 AM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

f.hayek wrote:
I remember the plastic bit part long ago when the crowd on the old Nikongear would disassemble their CV's all the time. It can't be a Zeiss or Leica for the money but like Sigma, when they hit the mark, they do so very well. This is clearly the case with the 125; I would regularly use it for portraits and had no complaints. The 180, however, I found less satisfying; not as sharp or high-contrast as the Macro, but then again, could have been sample variation. I liked the 90 a lot, though. Very compact and fun to use.
...Show more

Yes, I too saw this on the old Nikongear site. The old core crowd of lens dissassemblers have started a new nikongear.net site.

Nov 07, 2016 at 01:03 PM
paulhofseth
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

I never shot brick walls, but in my absolutely unscientific view, the slim version Tele Elmarit that I used for a number of years had less contrast than the CV 90mm that I used later. My TE did not have the dreaded internal fog and both were used with hoods on.

Given that the Canon mount CV 90 is small, I often use it in preference to my 100mm. It is fatter than the Leica version, but that is caused by its lack of manual aperture control. Given the newer generations of adapters, it can now also be used on short flange-to- sensor cameras. A disadvange of its automatism is that if you wish to adjust the aperture beyond what the camera thinks is proper, you have to faff around with menus while the light you wanted to capture goes away (unless you have a camera with mechanical knobs for that)

p.

Nov 08, 2016 at 10:26 AM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

bjornthun wrote:
Yes, I too saw this on the old Nikongear site. The old core crowd of lens dissassemblers have started a new nikongear.net site.

I heard about that. Wondered what had happened to the old partnership between the South African fellow and Bjørn.
I often found Rørslett a bit too much of the 'Angry Bear/Boor of the North' at times. He would get into political tussles with readers and couldn't let things be. While I was often repelled by his politics and lack of grace, the breadth of his knowledge on Nikon and the science of photography was indisputable.

Nov 08, 2016 at 01:26 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar SL or M Mount

f.hayek wrote:
I heard about that. Wondered what had happened to the old partnership between the South African fellow and Bjørn.
I often found Rørslett a bit too much of the 'Angry Bear/Boor of the North' at times. He would get into political tussles with readers and couldn't let things be. While I was often repelled by his politics and lack of grace, the breadth of his knowledge on Nikon and the science of photography was indisputable.

That pretty much sums it up, I think.

The partnership with the South African fellow is over, due to some disagreement. Don't know the details.

I've switched to Sony mirrorless, which wasn't too popular on the old nikongear site...

Nov 08, 2016 at 03:56 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password