New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · My first studio selfie

01Ryan10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My first studio selfie

6D and smartphone makes selfies so easy.

In any case...I knew going into the shot that my black coat was going to get lost in the backdrop, but I just got the backdrop setup and it did not come with grey, only green, white, and black.

So...other than the wrong backdrop for my black coat...any comments for improvement?

I'm looking to break into corporate / realtor headshots. I need some practice.

Selfie, business style by Ryan Luna, on Flickr

Nov 05, 2016 at 01:06 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My first studio selfie

With the small disclaimer that I know nothing about the world of corporate headshots, I think this is terrific! One of the best such shots I have seen in this Forum. You have some personality on display as well as the excellent lighting and details. My only tip is to trim the hair right on your neck that shows below your ear. I don't mind the blending of the coat as the white shirt and your strong image dominate the shot.

Nov 05, 2016 at 10:03 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My first studio selfie

Looks good. The weakness I see is the hair and clothing blending into the background. Note the nice contrast on his left shoulder, due to your lighting. Lighting could do the same for the other side.

Nov 06, 2016 at 06:29 AM
paregorike
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My first studio selfie

Photo looks great! Good job!

Nov 06, 2016 at 08:36 AM
rntbot
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My first studio selfie

Looks good to me. Care to share your lighting and background setup?

Nov 06, 2016 at 08:51 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My first studio selfie

i think if you add or increase the power on your hair light your portrait would improve and help your shoulders blending into the background. You could also add a background light with some colored gels.

Nov 06, 2016 at 08:52 AM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My first studio selfie

rntbot wrote:
Looks good to me. Care to share your lighting and background setup?

Thanks for the improvement ideas everyone.

Here is my setup. lol...

Except...I took the picture at night. speedlight in the umbrella near the backdrop. Speedlight right in front of the backdrop. Two speedlights are in the Octabox.

Nov 06, 2016 at 06:00 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My first studio selfie

Looking at the setup and the picture, it looks like you didn't get much from the speed light pointed at the backdrop. Just a tiny hint of grayness to the black. Based on other comments above that make sense to me, you might want to use this as a second hair light instead.

Just a thought.

Dave

Nov 07, 2016 at 12:01 AM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My first studio selfie

My speedlight behind me providing backdrop splash was at 70mm zoom and 1/16th power. I have plenty of power/zoom left to increase the splash on the backdrop.

I do agree about an additional hairlight. I will just buy another $60 YN-560 IV on Amazon to fulfill that need.

On a side note, the YN-560 IV speedlights at $60 are unbelievable.

Nov 07, 2016 at 10:08 AM
dmward
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My first studio selfie

I like it.
I'd prefer short lighting to the broad lighting that you used.

Nov 07, 2016 at 10:21 AM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My first studio selfie

Thanks. I'll try more short lighting.

Nov 07, 2016 at 10:30 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My first studio selfie

Two comments on an otherwise good first effort. First, I'd stay away from black as a backdrop for corporate work. It presents a more moody look than most companies want to convey. Second, don't be afraid of broad lighting, especially on men. Just be aware of what lighting approach (broad vs. short) flatters the face of each of your clients. If you're doing a number of employees for a single client, a more consistent approach is generally called for, which means a more generic approach, but that's not all that bad. One final note on your backdrop light: you could simply power it up just a bit, and widen the zoom setting a bit, too. That's easy.

Nov 07, 2016 at 12:12 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.