Golconda fort

Hyderabad street scene

Nov 04, 2016 at 05:13 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B+W first attempt

Rahul,

I like the concept but #1 - the subjects are lost - perhaps the inverse would have worked better? They, facing the light, are set against the dark background formed by the archway?

#2 is my fav.

I like street images but have never quite understood how to go about it. And not really something I am comfortable doing.

I find Eric Kim (check his blog) interesting and thoroughly enjoy the work of FM'er @airfrogusmc

Bob

Nov 05, 2016 at 10:13 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B+W first attempt

Rahul,
Your foreground sort of gets lost by the dark tonality which then lessen the scale, depth and emotion of the image. The bright background takes the eyes focus off the children. I agree with Bob's comment that subject's get lost.
Do you have Nik SilverEffects Pro? I believe it is still free..Try it.

Yes Allen's b/w work(airfrogusmc) is renowned!
Dan

Nov 06, 2016 at 09:34 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · B+W first attempt

Nice shots that could stand some tweaking. Remember that b&w is not just a shot with color removed.

Unlike traditional film photography that used a single filter (green, red, yellow, etc) at one time, conversion programs let you work with 8 color sliders. Very often just working with them will bring about dramatic change in the rendition of your shot. Also, don't be afraid to completely change the WB of your shot to further separate the color channels so they're easier to work with.

If all else fails, you should be able to raise the tonalities of the faces in your shots to make them more prominent. Conversely, you can lower the tonalities in the areas you want to de-emphasize.

Nov 06, 2016 at 11:56 AM
Dougo
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · B+W first attempt

Some very good points made by these guys, keep converting and keep posting it's the best way to learn

Cheers Ray

Nov 06, 2016 at 05:27 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · B+W first attempt

Rahul, I think these are very good, but as others have mentioned, they can be much better.

#1 I would try to bring out details in the black areas of their hair, and I would try to fix the over exposed highlights on both of them if possible. I think the face details are critical, and perhaps dimming the background would help, Im not sure.

#2 I think the highlights in the distance are over exposed, and I would try to fix that if possible. Also, bringing out details in the bright spots on the ground would help IMO, if they are not totally clipped..

#3 is a pretty cool image. IMO, the guys on the right side add nothing to the photo, and I would crop them out(perhaps leave the checkered shirt fellow in for balance). The main interest in this image to me, are the women and child and the produce stands behind them.

Overall, I think these are very nice images and I like your ideas here.

Nov 06, 2016 at 08:15 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.