New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Merging/blending two photos together

IndioInMrica
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Merging/blending two photos together

I want to take a long exposure of a bridge on a moonlit night especially when moon is say over the bridge. If I do a long exposure I will end up with a very bright moon. So to avoid that I was thinking of doing long exposure of bridge without moon, a photo of moon and merge them together.

I haven't used PS for this so far, but I think can be done. Do you see any challenges/issues with this approach?

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:14 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Merging/blending two photos together

That should be pretty cut clean easy peasy.

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:43 PM
drewmey
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Merging/blending two photos together

It sounds like you would keep everything from the long exposure except for the moon. If that is the case, just make sure the moon is properly aligned in photoshop, place the image exposed for moon on top, create a black mask over the full image on top, draw white in the mask over the location of the moon. That is an easy method.

You may want to consider luminosity masks if you have concerns about the transition of the moon being too harsh and unrealistic. Having a frame with an exposure value in between these and placing it in between them in photoshop would allow you to use luminosity masks to gradually transition from one frame to another.

Depending on how long this long exposure is, you may have issues with stars blurring or the moon itself becoming oblong (which will make masking the moon difficult without using some additional techniques, but still plausible).

Nov 04, 2016 at 08:14 PM
IndioInMrica
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Merging/blending two photos together

Thanks, drewmey for sharing tips.

Nov 05, 2016 at 02:38 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password