New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Inexpensive light meter

IndioInMrica
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Inexpensive light meter

What do you have? I'd like to use one for film as I am pretty much a noob when it comes to shooting film.

Sekonic L208 is little over $100 but not getting good vibes about its longevity and reliability.One step up is Seknouc L398A pricey but seems to be built well as compared to L208.

Looked at Gossen as well ($100-200) range.

Any advice based on your own experience or otherwise.

Nov 04, 2016 at 05:12 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Inexpensive light meter

go on buy/sell forum to get some results

Nov 04, 2016 at 05:15 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Inexpensive light meter

How about the Sekonic L-398A Studio Deluxe III Light Meter at $209? It's a selenium cell classic and never needs a battery. I never liked L208 nor anything by Gossen.

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:15 PM
IndioInMrica
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Inexpensive light meter

Robin Smith wrote:
How about the Sekonic L-398A Studio Deluxe III Light Meter at $209? It's a selenium cell classic and never needs a battery. I never liked L208 nor anything by Gossen.

That is what I am eyeing. Do you own one? You happy with it, especially about its accuracy.

Nov 04, 2016 at 09:09 PM
Norm Shapiro
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Inexpensive light meter

I've used Sekonic meters for many years. Don't buy the L208-I bought a used one and it's a piece of junk, even Sekonic people told me the same thing. The L398 is a great meter. I found a like new one on EBay for $25.00 to replace one that I bought 40 years ago plus that finally died.

Nov 05, 2016 at 07:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Inexpensive light meter

Robin Smith wrote:

IndioInMrica wrote:
That is what I am eyeing. Do you own one? You happy with it, especially about its accuracy.

I still have my Studio Deluxe II L-398M, which is a slightly older model. It's an accurate and dependable meter.

I used it with large and medium format cameras that didn't have their own light meters. I still use it occassionally when I'm shooting landscapes, but I can't help cheating once I get a histogram.

Make sure you get all of the stuff that should be with it, in particular, the dome and flat sensor covers (a.k.a. indicent and reflected light, sensor cover gizmos), and the perforated metal slider that you use in bright conditions (equivalent to stopping-down the meter).

P.S. the Gossen Sixticolor colour temperature meter is cool.

Nov 06, 2016 at 01:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Inexpensive light meter

What are you going to shoot? That would influence the type of meter to get. Landscapes versus studio benefit from different types of meters.

I shoot landscapes and my meter is the Minolta Spot meter, a reflective meter. If you are doing studio work, an incidence meter might be a better choice.

Nov 06, 2016 at 12:34 PM
IndioInMrica
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Inexpensive light meter

chez wrote:
What are you going to shoot? That would influence the type of meter to get. Landscapes versus studio benefit from different types of meters.

I shoot landscapes and my meter is the Minolta Spot meter, a reflective meter. If you are doing studio work, an incidence meter might be a better choice.

Outdoor shots; people, street, landscapes. No studio work, closest to studio would be indoor shots of kids/family but for that I am going to stick to digital.

I ordered Sekonic L398A, I think that should serve my purpose. Agree ?

Nov 06, 2016 at 07:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Inexpensive light meter

IndioInMrica wrote:
What do you have? I'd like to use one for film as I am pretty much a noob when it comes to shooting film.

Sekonic L208 is little over $100 but not getting good vibes about its longevity and reliability.One step up is Seknouc L398A pricey but seems to be built well as compared to L208.

Looked at Gossen as well ($100-200) range.

Any advice based on your own experience or otherwise.

I mainly used a Minolta Autometer IVF with cameras like Fuji 6x9s that had no metering or RF cameras with external metering. Typically the spot metering in a 135 camera works well once you gain some experience.

I used the meter for flash quite a bit in the studio with multiple lights. I also shot polaroids to check the look of the lighting. Digital is soooo much easier.

EBH

Nov 07, 2016 at 12:42 AM
IndioInMrica
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Inexpensive light meter

EB-1 wrote:
I mainly used a Minolta Autometer IVF with cameras like Fuji 6x9s that had no metering or RF cameras with external metering. Typically the spot metering in a 135 camera works well once you gain some experience.

I used the meter for flash quite a bit in the studio with multiple lights. I also shot polaroids to check the look of the lighting. Digital is soooo much easier.

EBH

Thanks I ordered Gossen Sixtomat F2.

Nov 07, 2016 at 10:24 PM
OregonSun
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Inexpensive light meter

For a truly inexpensive light meter just go to your favorite app store, there are plenty of light meter apps that work well out there. I've used LightMeter (paid version) for android when the meter in my Pentax 67 went on the fritz with excellent results.

Heron

Nov 08, 2016 at 04:51 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password