New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2016 · Cambo Actus Photographs

naturephoto1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cambo Actus Photographs

I thought that I would start a new thread of Photos taken with the Cambo Actus camera that turn other cameras into Mini View Cameras. The camera is particularly useful when used with the Sony A7 series cameras as well as the Leica M 240 cameras. The camera can additionally be used with cameras in the Canon EOS line as well as the Nikon F line as well as mirrorless APS-C and quite probably M 4/3 cameras.

The camera offers the greatest options with the Sony A7 series cameras and the Leica M 240 cameras due to their very short lens registry. In the case of the Canon EOS and the Nikon F line of cameras they can only be used for studio and close-up work due to the camera registry.

With the Actus camera the FF mirrorless A7 series and the Leica M 240 allow the usage of many Enlarger lenses including the latest Rodenstock Apo Rodagon N lenses as well as the Schneider Kreuznach Apo Compon HM lenses to focus from close-up to infinity. Additionally the camera through its growing system including the growing list of lens boards allows for the usage of many old film and newer digital Large and Medium Format View camera lenses in Copal/Compur 0 and Copal/Compur 1 lens mounts to be used with the cameras. Additional lenses that can be used with the cameras with the proper lens mounts include Leica R, Canon EF, Nikon F, Hasselblad, Mamiya 6X7, Mamiya 645, Pentax 645, etc.

Yes the Actus is an expensive option when compared with the Mirex adapters, however, the Actus offers as mentioned the ability to use many lenses lacking helicoids including the mentioned Enlarger lenses as well as View Camera lenses. The Actus also offers the opportunity to move the shift capabilies to where it should be when compared with a T/S lens or the Mirex adapters which at the rear of the camera/lens standard. This now removes the issues of parallax including the opportunity of do multiple exposures for flat stitching either in a single or multiple rows. The Actus, maintains the tilt and swing on the front lens standard (which are geared) and the Rise/Fall, and shift on the rear/camera standard.

For myself, I am using my Actus with my stock A7r and my A7rM V3 cameras. With the camera, I have a Leica R lens adapter that Cambo, Netherlands modified (for free) so that the lens adapter would allow for the usage of my mounting and removing my Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC (Schneider Kreuznach lens) due to the large diameter of the lens mount. With the camera, my Leica R 28mm PC lens can now be used as a Tilt and Shift lens, not only a shift lens. If anyone has the lens or is interested, Cambo now knows how to modify the Leica R lens adapter for usage with this partiuclar lens and to the best of my knowledge they will offer this service at no charge.

I look forward to when Sony will release the A7rIII which will hopefully be a 72 to 80 MP camera to take advantage ot the Cambo Actus.

Additionally, with my Cambo Actus Leica R lens board, I am able to focus my Rodenstock 50mm f2.8 Apo Rodagon N, as well as my 80mm, and 105 f4 Apo Rodagon N lenses from close-up to infinity when the lens are mounted on a Leica M 39mm to Lecia R adapter available from China on eBay. In the case of my Schneider Kreuznach 40mm f2.8 Apo Compon HM lens, I must mount the lens to a Cambo Actus 39mm lens board for this range of focus due to the added depth added by the Leica R lens mount and the Leica M 39mm to Leica R adapter. All of these lenses allow some amount of rise/fall/shift, as well as tilt and swing.

In the past, SK Grimes made up an adapter so that when using a T mount adapter along with my Schneider Kreuznach 120mm f5.6 Makro Symmar HM large format lens to bayonet mount onto a Leica R camera. So I can mount this lens and all of Enlarger lenses onto my Cambo Leica R lens adapter alone as well as when used with Leica R extension tubes.

Below is an image of the camera borrowed from our friends at Capture Integration:

https://captureintegration.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Cambo-Actus-Main-View1.jpg

Below is an image of the Leica R lens board borrowed from Capture Integration:

https://captureintegration.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ACB-LR_s.jpg

Below are 2 images of my Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC lens which explain the issue when mounting the lens on the Cambo Actus lens board:

Below that are 2 images of my Schneider Kreuznach 120mm f5.6 Makro Symmar HM large format lens and the parts to mount the lens on the Leica R bellows with the 2nd image showing the assembled lens and parts:

Edited on Nov 13, 2016 at 02:33 PM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2016 at 11:41 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cambo Actus Photographs

I will start the posting of images taken with my Cambo Actus and my stock A7r camera with 2 images. Hopefully other members of the forum (and I know there are at least several that own the camera) will also post images taken with their Actus camera.

The first image was taken about 39 minutes before sunset (5:18 PM)

Looking beyond the fence around the retention pond behind my house
Tripod mounted Cambo Actus camera with A7r and Rodenstock 80mm f4 Apo Rodagon N Enlarger lens
ISO 200, f11, 1/60 second
Exposure corrected by +0.12 Stops
1.5 degrees of tilt and 2 mm of shift

November 2, 2016
Behind Pathfinder Road, Breinigsville, PA

The second image was taken at 1:19 PM

Looking at a leaf covered path and forest in autumn color change
Tripod mounted Cambo Actus camera with A7r and Rodenstock 50mm f2.8 Apo Rodagon N Enlarger lens
ISO 200, f11, 1/20 second
Exposure corrected by +0.36 Stops
1 degree of tilt

October 24, 2016
At a Trail Head next to a Parking lot not far from Skyline Drive, Shenandoah NP, Virginia

Rich

Nov 04, 2016 at 12:08 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cambo Actus Photographs

naturephoto1, I swear I would post if I could! But I don't have an Actus...

In response to a length conversation about shift and tilt options for architectural work, on the third page a couple folks jumped in and asked "why bother" messing around with medium format lenses and shift adapters. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1437874/2#lastmessage Because it's fun, that's why! This setup you have looks amazing. One of these days I've love to be able to see what an Actus can do. Good on you for starting this thread.

Nov 04, 2016 at 01:13 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cambo Actus Photographs

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thead and taken about 60 minutes before sunset (4:57 PM)

Looking at the leaves of I believe a Sweetgum tree beyond the fence around the retention pond behind my house
Tripod mounted Cambo Actus camera with A7r and Rodenstock 80mm f4 Apo Rodagon N Enlarger lens
ISO 200, f11, 1/80 second
Exposure corrected by +0.12 Stops; processed in LR6.4

November 2, 2016
Behind Pathfinder Road, Breinigsville, PA

Rich

Nov 13, 2016 at 07:41 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cambo Actus Photographs

rdeloe wrote:
... a couple folks jumped in and asked "why bother" messing around with medium format lenses and shift adapters.

Also, some medium format lenses are as good as, or better than, the best small format lenses, and so you can get superior IQ, plus movements.

Nov 13, 2016 at 08:48 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cambo Actus Photographs

naturephoto1 wrote:
I will start the posting of images taken with my Cambo Actus and my stock A7r camera with 2 images. Hopefully other members of the forum (and I know there are at least several that own the camera) will also post images taken with their Actus camera.

The first image was taken about 39 minutes before sunset (5:18 PM)

Looking beyond the fence around the retention pond behind my house
ISO 200, f11, 1/60 second
Exposure corrected by +0.12 Stops
1.5 degrees of tilt and 2 mm of shift

November 2,
...Show more

Interesting. So, these 2 photos are not stitches and does the 50mm Apo Rodagon focus to infinity with the Actus?

Nov 13, 2016 at 01:16 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cambo Actus Photographs

This looks great - very intriguing. Naturally, since I sold of my large format lenses a year ago.

Nov 13, 2016 at 01:40 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cambo Actus Photographs

JimBuchanan wrote:
Interesting. So, these 2 photos are not stitches and does the 50mm Apo Rodagon focus to infinity with the Actus?

Hi Jim,

None of the images that I have posted in this thread thus far have been stitches; they are all single images. In the future I expect that I will post some stitched images.

As to my Rodenstock 50mm f2.8 Apo Rodagon N Enlarger lens even with mounting the lens on my 39mm to Leica R adapter (purchased from China) and mounted in my Cambo Actus Leica R lens board, the lens focuses from infinity to close up and probably to at least 1:1 when used with my Sony A7r camera. Even my Schneider Kreuznach 40mm f2.8 Componon HM Enlarger lens will focus from infinity to close-up with my Sony A7r camera however to do this, this lens requires it being mounted in a Cambo Actus 39mm lens board (when using the Chinese 39mm to Leica R adapter and my Cambo Leica R lens adapter it adds too much added thickness to focus to infinity).

Rich

Nov 13, 2016 at 02:12 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cambo Actus Photographs

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and a single exposure (not stitched) taken at 12:02 PM

Looking at a boulder covered with mosses and lichens, leaves, and the forest
Tripod mounted Cambo Actus camera with A7r and Rodenstock 50mm f2.8 Apo Rodagon N Enlarger lens
ISO 200, f11, 1/50 second
Exposure corrected by +0.48 Stops; processed in LR6.4
4 degrees of tilt

October 24, 2016
At a Trail Head next to a Parking lot not far from Skyline Drive, Shenandoah NP, Virginia

Rich

Nov 14, 2016 at 07:23 AM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cambo Actus Photographs

Really interesting! I have done a little quick reading on this system.

Any thoughts on image circle limitation with respect to 35mm film lens & enlarging lenses versus larger MF lenses and traditional 4x5 lenses?

Have you tried using this system for subject matter that traditionally matches well with view camera movements, namely architecture, studio table top work and selective focus portraiture?

Thanks...

Nov 14, 2016 at 05:22 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cambo Actus Photographs

PhotoMaximum wrote:
Really interesting! I have done a little quick reading on this system.

Any thoughts on image circle limitation with respect to 35mm film lens & enlarging lenses versus larger MF lenses and traditional 4x5 lenses?

Have you tried using this system for subject matter that traditionally matches well with view camera movements, namely architecture, studio table top work and selective focus portraiture?

Thanks...

Hi,

First you should be aware that the Cambo Actus is designed more as a field camera, but it can be used for studio and close-up work. The camera does lack tilt for the rear/camera standard. I did speak to the reps at PhotoPlus in NYC on October 20 about designing an add on adapter that would add that capability to the camera and was told it may be possible, but at this point there is no idea when and if such an adapter will be offered.

As to the question of using the camera for architecture and studio, table top work and selective focus portraiture, I have not done any of this at this point. In the future, I may do some archtecture and some table top work, but I suspect that I will not do any selective focus portraiture.

Working close up for table top work lenses should have greater image circles than they would when used at infinity. I would expect that any of my 4 Apo Enlarger lenses should provide sufficient image circles for close-up work. The 4 Apo Enlarger lenses that I have are: Schneider Kreuznach 40mm f2.8 Apo Componon HM, Rodenstock 50mm f2.8 Apo Rodagon N, Rodenstock 80mm f4 Apo Rodagon N, and Rodenstock 105mm f4 Apo Rodagon N lenses. The 40mm Schneider Apo Compoinon HM lens has the smallest image circle of the 4 and is probably the widest Apo Enlarger lens to cover 35mm with some degree of shift available. I will have to check more carefully, but unless mistaken as I have tested approaching infinity the lens has approximately 4.5 to 5 or mm of left and right shift available at either f8 or f11. From my testing and also reported by Brad (freaklikeme) I believe the Rodenstock 50mm f2.8 Apo Rodagon N lens offers an image circle of close to 63mm or about 10mm of left and right shift at around infinity. My Rodenstock 80mm f4 Apo Rodagon N is a 6 X 7 enlarger lens and I believe has 15mm or quite possibly 20mm of left and right shift available (so image circle of about 85 or 90mm) at infinity at around f8 or f11. My Rodenstock 105mm f4 Apo Rodagon N is a 6 X 9 Enlarger lens and I believe should have an image circle of at least 100mm (close to 28mm of left and right shift) at inifinity at around f8 or f11.

Be aware that many of the shift measurements that I have mentioned are beyond the capabilities of the camera which is left and right shift of 20mm and 15mm fall and 12mm of rise.

If I need even more shift, I could switch over to some of my Large Format lenses including my Rodenstock 55 f4.5 Apo-Sironar Digital, Schneider Kreuznach 120mm f5.6 Makro Symmar HM, Rodenstock 90mm f6.8 Grandagon N MC, Rodenstock 75mm f6.8 Grandagon N MC, and my Rodenstock 150mm f5.6 Apo-Sironar S (needs either a longer bellows and/or extension tubes to focus to even infinity). Using this much shift though also would require shifing the camera on the tripod head due to requiring more shift than the camera itself offers.

As to 35mm lenses, I will be testing some of my Leica R lenses hopefully later this week to at least see how/if they will cover the new Mini MF size of the Hasselblad and Fujifilm cameras with a format size of 44mm X 33mm. Certainly PC lenses like my Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC (Schneider Kreuznach PC) lens covers and offers about an image circle of 63mm and offers 10 or 11mm of left and right shift at f11. Canon and Nikon T/S lenses will also work easily on the Cambo Actus.

Rich

Nov 14, 2016 at 06:13 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cambo Actus Photographs

Great update, thanks Rich.

I have owned and used several of the lenses (mainly the enlarger lenses) you list in the above post. I still have a couple of Grandagon N lenses in the large metal case with my sadly unused Sinar system. I also once had a couple of Grandagon lenses when I was playing with the 6x17 MF pano camera format, but I sold it all.

Very interesting stuff here: I am enjoying this thread. I would be most interested in seeing any test sample featuring some sort of close foreground to background architecture image.

This system looks like it designed and machined well...

Nov 14, 2016 at 08:48 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cambo Actus Photographs

Here's a few with the Hassy Distagon 40 FLE on the Actus, all six shot panos...

a7_Actus_CF40FLE_test by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

a7_Actus_CF40FLE_WestyU by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

a7_Actus_CF40FLE_BoulderCanyon by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

A six-shot pano with the Hassy Planar 100...

a7_Actus_CF100_ProspectPark by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

A nine-shot pano with the Rodenstock APO-Sironar-N 135...

a7_Actus_Rode_135_SunsetsLastGasp by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

Nine-shot with the APO-Grandagon 55...

a7_Actus_Rode55_NobodysHome by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

Six-shot with the same lens...

a7_Actus_Rode55_SilentBells by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

Single-shot with the APO-Sironar-Digital 90 (my favorite lens on the Actus)...

a7_Actus_Rode90_Sunflower by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

Six shot with the APO-Grandagon 45...

a7_Actus_Rode45_EldoradoCanyon1 by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:26 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cambo Actus Photographs

naturephoto1 wrote:
First you should be aware that the Cambo Actus is designed more as a field camera, but it can be used for studio and close-up work. The camera does lack tilt for the rear/camera standard.

Working close up for table top work lenses should have greater image circles than they would when used at infinity. I would expect that any of my 4 Apo Enlarger lenses should provide sufficient image circles for close-up work.

From my testing and also reported by Brad (freaklikeme) I believe the Rodenstock 50mm f2.8 Apo Rodagon N lens offers an image circle of close to 63mm
...Show more

This all reminds me of being the proud user of the Horsman VH-R with a Rodenstock wide, but sold it to kick off my entry into digital. As far as putting a digital Sony body on that camera for stitching, I don't think the rear standard would shift or rise.

Anyway, I am now looking at some enlarger lenses to gauge usability for greater than 1X magnification. It would be nice if they could pull double duty as an infinity landscape lens with and without shift. I had decided to avoid the 40-50mm lenses like the Rodagon-N 50mm due to the 35mm negative - 43mm image circle and consider the 63 - 80mm enlarger lenses.

The general consensus is that some work very well for macro, but I haven't really heard reports of infinity landscape use, except for the very nice photo examples in this thread and others.

The 2 taken with the APO-Rodagon-N 50mm could be almost in the infinity range and it looks as if the tilt gave more depth of field. Very nice. However, the image circle may not give much potential for shift.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:38 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cambo Actus Photographs

freaklikeme wrote:
Here's a few with the Hassy Distagon 40 FLE on the Actus, all six shot panos...

https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7715/17883010418_3a989f5c22_o.jpga7_Actus_CF40FLE_test by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5348/17476562013_50bae67d8a_o.jpga7_Actus_CF40FLE_WestyU by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7763/18135829820_7d0624593b_o.jpga7_Actus_CF40FLE_BoulderCanyon by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

A six-shot pano with the Hassy Planar 100...

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8845/17673493354_3546ffe457_o.jpga7_Actus_CF100_ProspectPark by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

A nine-shot pano with the Rodenstock APO-Sironar-N 135...

https://c5.staticflickr.com/1/260/19027478012_9d0def2457_o.jpga7_Actus_Rode_135_SunsetsLastGasp by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

Nine-shot with the APO-Grandagon 55...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3790/19027477232_01bf041d46_o.jpga7_Actus_Rode55_NobodysHome by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

Six-shot with the same lens...

https://c7.staticflickr.com/1/558/19006778806_3e43aa53c5_o.jpga7_Actus_Rode55_SilentBells by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

Single-shot with the APO-Sironar-Digital 90 (my favorite lens on the Actus)...

https://c6.staticflickr.com/1/745/20215004373_48350ed96f_o.jpga7_Actus_Rode90_Sunflower by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

Six shot with the APO-Grandagon 45...

https://c7.staticflickr.com/1/344/19490798670_aab550f887_o.jpga7_Actus_Rode45_EldoradoCanyon1 by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

These are all gorgeous freak.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:59 AM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cambo Actus Photographs

Very cool set of images there...

Nov 15, 2016 at 01:25 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cambo Actus Photographs

Steve Spencer wrote:
These are all gorgeous freak.

PhotoMaximum wrote:
Very cool set of images there...

Thank you, gentlemen. Much appreciated.

Nov 16, 2016 at 03:07 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cambo Actus Photographs

JimBuchanan wrote:
This all reminds me of being the proud user of the Horsman VH-R with a Rodenstock wide, but sold it to kick off my entry into digital. As far as putting a digital Sony body on that camera for stitching, I don't think the rear standard would shift or rise.

Anyway, I am now looking at some enlarger lenses to gauge usability for greater than 1X magnification. It would be nice if they could pull double duty as an infinity landscape lens with and without shift. I had decided to avoid the 40-50mm lenses like the Rodagon-N 50mm due to the
...Show more

All of the Rodogan-N's that I have (50, 75, 80, 90, 105) are excellent at infinity. The 50 has a little over a 60mm IC that's fairly uniform aside from the vignetting, the 75 gets to 70mm, and the rest of them have IC's that are too large for me to measure with the Actus + a7. The 105 shares the same design (but not coatings, unfortunately) as the Rodenstock APO-Sironar-Digital 105.

I stopped using the enlarging lenses for anything but macro work, though, for the same reason I stopped using Hassy lenses on the Actus and replaced some of my older Copal 0 shutters- the five blade aperture's fine at infinity distances stopped down, but anything else will lead to pentagonal bokeh (like in my Planar 100 shot and the close-focused 55 Grandagon shot). I find that to be the third most annoying bokeh shape, behind the Rollei's triangular shaped bokeh on their three-balde lenses and the little Lucky Charm shapes you can make with some of the toy lenses.

Nov 16, 2016 at 03:38 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Cambo Actus Photographs

freaklikeme wrote:
All of the Rodogan-N's that I have (50, 75, 80, 90, 105) are excellent at infinity. The 50 has a little over a 60mm IC that's fairly uniform aside from the vignetting, the 75 gets to 70mm, and the rest of them have IC's that are too large for me to measure with the Actus + a7. The 105 shares the same design (but not coatings, unfortunately) as the Rodenstock APO-Sironar-Digital 105.

I stopped using the enlarging lenses for anything but macro work, though, for the same reason I stopped using Hassy lenses on the Actus and replaced some of my
...Show more

Hi Brad,

However, though the 5 aperture blades of the Rodenstock Apo Rodagon N and SK Apo Componon HM lenses may not be our preference for bokeh, many of my large format and even 35mm lenses have the same number of aperture blades. These include my Rodenstock 75mm f6.8 Grandagon N MC, Rodenstock 90mm f6.8 Grandagon N MC, Rodenstock 150mm f5.6 Apo-Sironar-S, and even my Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC (SK Super Angulon PC) [as observed in my photos of the lens in my original posting] lenses. These 5 aperture blades however will yield sunstars and star bursts with 10 points. On the other hand, my SK 120mm f5.6 Makro-Symmar HM and my Rodenstock 55mm f4.5 Apo-Sironar digital lenses have 7 aperture blades and will yield 14 point sunstars and star bursts.

Rich

Nov 16, 2016 at 04:31 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Cambo Actus Photographs

naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Brad,

However, though the 5 aperture blades of the Rodenstock Apo Rodagon N and SK Apo Componon HM lenses may not be our preference for bokeh, many of my large format and even 35mm lenses have the same number of aperture blades. These include my Rodenstock 75mm f6.8 Grandagon N MC, Rodenstock 90mm f6.8 Grandagon N MC, Rodenstock 150mm f5.6 Apo-Sironar-S, and even my Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC (SK Super Angulon PC) [as observed in my photos of the lens in my original posting] lenses. These 5 aperture blades however will yield sunstars and star bursts with
...Show more

I know it's common, Rich, but with all the options available, if you don't like it, you don't have to be stuck with it. You could upgrade the Grandsons and APO-Sironar-S to shutters with seven-blades if it got to you. There are other ways to get to a 28mm (or wider) PC lens with more blades. I do love the Rodagon-N 50, and for the most part I can work around the bokeh issues when using it as a taking lens on a helicoid, but once I figured out how to outfit the Sironar-Digital 60 HR as a mirrorless lens with a 15 blade aperture, I was happy to retire the 50 to 35mm slide and negative reproduction work.

Nov 16, 2016 at 09:49 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.