Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

I've been playing with my new Godox stuff and I'd like to know if my experience so far is consistent with that of others.

1) When shooting with two cameras and two triggers (either X1Tn or TT685n to trigger, any combination), I am having some inconsistencies with triggering. If I turn a group off or make a change, I need to power-cycle the triggering device before it takes effect.

2) If the two triggering units have different power level settings, they will just fire with the power levels of the more recently power-cycled trigger.

3) If a remote light puts itself into sleep mode, it can only be woken up by a trigger that had it selected "on" at the time it went to sleep.
EDIT: *** DISREGARD - There is no sleep mode for receiver units, only auto off. ***

I was hoping to use this stuff tomorrow for a wedding, but maybe not at this rate :-/

Any tips or insights would be great. Thanks!

Nov 04, 2016 at 03:45 PM
MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

BSPhotog wrote:
I've been playing with my new Godox stuff and I'd like to know if my experience so far is consistent with that of others.

1) When shooting with two cameras and two triggers (either X1Tn or TT685n to trigger, any combination), I am having some inconsistencies with triggering. If I turn a group off or make a change, I need to power-cycle the triggering device before it takes effect.

I've not seen this but I don't use my X-t1 a lot, at least not enough to have ever noticed it. I'm using the v860II so that may make a difference too. I can definitely say that I'm not having a problem triggering the v860II with each other.

Nov 04, 2016 at 06:21 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

MRomine wrote:
I've not seen this but I don't use my X-t1 a lot, at least not enough to have ever noticed it. I'm using the v860II so that may make a difference too. I can definitely say that I'm not having a problem triggering the v860II with each other.

Hmm, well I hope that I'm just doing something wrong...but at this point I have no idea what that could be. Here's what I am doing to test and the results I am getting:

On the floor of my office I have 3 TT600 speedlights laying down. They are all set to channel 32, each set to a different group (A, B, C), and set to radio receiver mode. I have two cameras, both D800s. I have tested it with both TT685n on each camera to trigger the OCFs, or with an X1Tn on each camera.

For example, on camera 1 I have it set to just channel B at 1/32 power. Camera 2 is set to all channels on, all at 1/128 power.

I turn on camera 1 with the trigger and it works correctly. I turn on camera 2 and the trigger (camera 1 still on) and camera 2 works correctly. I go back to camera 1 and it fires ABC instead of just B. More interestingly, it is mixing settings from the two. It is firing A @ 1/128, B @ 1/32, and C @ 1/128. If I power cycle camera 1, then it is fine.

Nov 04, 2016 at 06:48 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

BSPhotog wrote:
I turn on camera 1 with the trigger and it works correctly. I turn on camera 2 and the trigger (camera 1 still on) and camera 2 works correctly. I go back to camera 1 and it fires ABC instead of just B. More interestingly, it is mixing settings from the two. It is firing A @ 1/128, B @ 1/32, and C @ 1/128. If I power cycle camera 1, then it is fine.

Hmmm, that would be pretty irritating and I wish I had and answer for you, sorry. You might try posting your question to one of the specific Godox FaceBook groups to see if that might turn up anything. Like this one: http://www.facebook.com/groups/godoxflashes/ there are one or two more Godox user groups on FaceBook too.

Nov 04, 2016 at 06:54 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

Manual mode isn't set immediately before sync transmission its set at the point the adjustment is made. If you have two controllers how the heck can both have different and concurrent settings on the remote flashes? (Answer: They can't)... (I think).

The only way to ensure consistency would be to only have one controller and one manual trigger, or alternatively, a hand held controller for adjustments and a manual trigger on each of your two cameras.

Alternatively, shoot TTL. Then, each shooting camera can control flash exposure by its own camera controller. TTL information is a two way communication so you can set up many controllers on many cameras controlling many lights. Only one camera at a time will be controlling exposure.

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:27 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

ukphotographer wrote:
Manual mode isn't set immediately before sync transmission its set at the point the adjustment is made. If you have two controllers how the heck can both have different and concurrent settings on the remote flashes? (Answer: They can't)... (I think).

That's good to know, I had been wondering about how that actually worked. I really wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking some stupid thing like order of powering on or some setting. Theoretically, then, I could just make all of the changes from one camera and just not touch the second trigger.

ukphotographer wrote:
The only way to ensure consistency would be to only have one controller and one manual trigger, or alternatively, a hand held controller for adjustments and a manual trigger on each of your two cameras.

Alternatively, shoot TTL. Then, each shooting camera can control flash exposure by its own camera controller. TTL information is a two way communication so you can set up many controllers on many cameras controlling many lights. Only one camera at a time will be controlling exposure.

I've always shot OCF manually and honestly I feel like TTL would be less convenient, with me trying to guess exposure compensation values as the scene and metering changes. Also, I have 5 TT600 speedlights for OCF use, and they are manual only with no TTL.

Nov 04, 2016 at 08:49 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

BSPhotog wrote:
That's good to know, I had been wondering about how that actually worked. I really wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking some stupid thing like order of powering on or some setting. Theoretically, then, I could just make all of the changes from one camera and just not touch the second trigger.

Okay, looking at what you said, I am not sure that is entirely correct. It seems that power levels are sent when the shutter is released, but only to lights that are in use by the transmitter. For instance, if I have A fire from camera 1, then I power on camera 2 and select B & C, just B & C will fire. If I go back to camera 1, it will fire all 3 unless I power cycle the transmitter and then it will fire just A.

If I set camera 1 to shoot all lights at 1/128 and camera 2 to shoot all at 1/32, it will always shoot correct because they are always on and always getting new info.

Okay, so I am just thinking out loud here, but I may have figured out something kind of important. When I trigger from the TT685n, it has an "off" option as a power level. If I use that to turn a light off, everything plays nice! I can switch back and forth all day long and everything is good. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that the X1Tn has this ability . Am I missing something?

Nov 04, 2016 at 09:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

ukphotographer wrote:

Do this then..

Nov 04, 2016 at 09:30 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

ukphotographer wrote:
Do this then..

If you'll look at my previous message, this won't work either. Initially, I had been turning lights off by setting their group mode to "--" instead of manual or TTL. This seems to be the only way via the X1Tn, unless I am missing something. If I trigger from the TT685n, then I can reduce the power level below 1/128, then it says "off" and correctly turns off the light. The triggers are sending the correct power level at the time of actuation, but if the group mode is set to "--" it just keeps the previous power level set by the last trigger, whereas setting the power level to "off" actually means that the group won't fire. It is annoying, but understanding it allows me to intelligently work with it.

Nov 04, 2016 at 09:39 PM
Doug Maclean
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

I just shot a wedding with 4 tt 600's and 1 ad 600 strobe with 2 d800e's.I have a holster belt and went back and forth from a 24-70 to 70-200 in seconds and everything triggered perfectly.But as i holstered each camera I turned the trigger off on it.Not a single issue.As it was my 1st time with this set up did not want to leave both on at the same time.Will screw around this week with both on.Doug M

Nov 04, 2016 at 10:13 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

Doug Maclean wrote:
I just shot a wedding with 4 tt 600's and 1 ad 600 strobe with 2 d800e's.I have a holster belt and went back and forth from a 24-70 to 70-200 in seconds and everything triggered perfectly.But as i holstered each camera I turned the trigger off on it.Not a single issue.As it was my 1st time with this set up did not want to leave both on at the same time.Will screw around this week with both on.Doug M

Are you triggering with the X1T?

Nov 04, 2016 at 10:21 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

The most reliable way around this might be to press the "Test" button on the transmitter when switching camera's.

That said, Tony Hoffer put together a video a few months ago suggesting that multiple camera/trigger combinations worked without issue. He was, however, using a pair of V860X's as triggers, and both remote groups were being fired from each camera.

Edited on Nov 05, 2016 at 03:03 AM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2016 at 02:02 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

BigIronCruiser wrote:
The most reliable way around this might be to press the "Test" button on the transmitter when switching camera's.

That said, I thought Tony Hoffer put together a short video 2-3 months ago suggesting that multiple camera/trigger combinations worked without issue.

Good memory, I watched Tony's video again. His test showed the same as mine so far, that flash powers are changed instantly for flashes when fired from multiple cameras.

Here's the video for anyone wondering:

" target="_blank">

I'll be using this stuff at tomorrow's wedding, so we'll see how it goes!

Nov 05, 2016 at 03:01 AM
Doug Maclean
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Question for Godox Users (X1, tt685n, tt600, etc)

Yes 2 X1T N

Nov 05, 2016 at 12:00 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password