Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Square Trade claim experience?

pwschladen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Square Trade claim experience?

I've just bought a grey market Nikon J5 on eBay and am contemplating buying a Square Trade Warranty for it.
I'd love to hear from others who have actually made a claim on a Square Trade policy. Was it a good experience? Did you get a run around proving your purchase or get charged unanticipated fees (high shipping costs, "handling", "processing" etc.)?
I have just received an offer for an extended warranty from an outfit called Consumer Priority Service which given the online reviews I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
I suspect I may be better off just saving the money but positive reports about Square Trade may convince me otherwise.
Thanks in advance.
Patrick

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:18 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Square Trade claim experience?

I have no experience with Square Trade but I did a lot of research this summer before buying an Epson P7000 printer. Epson's 1 year warranty extension (you get year free with the printer) is $750 and a 2 year extension is $1350. Square Trade is a small fraction of that.

There seems to be a number of people satisfied with Square Trade when they buy it for smaller and less expensive items. For items where a service technician with specialized knowledge has to make a service call it seems like they often just refund the warranty cost rather than lose money actually repairing the device. I didn't buy it, or any extended warranty. For something like your Nikon J5 IMO it could be a good deal. OTOH if everything works fine now there's little chance you'll use the warranty.

Don't consider this a recommendation for or against Square Trade. It's just the opinion I formed after looking at all of the feedback I could find online.

Nov 04, 2016 at 08:20 AM
eliluong

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Square Trade claim experience?

For future reference, a lot of credit cards offer extended warranties past the manufacturer's warranty. For example, most of the Amex cards provide an extra year. I personally have never dealt with their warranty department, so I can't say if they actually pull through for you or not.

Nov 04, 2016 at 06:44 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Square Trade claim experience?

I got a warranty for a laptop that I used and they were great I have one more on a tv another laptop.

Nov 04, 2016 at 08:56 PM
TWeistar
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Square Trade claim experience?

I have had two claims with Square Trade. Both were no problem and pretty easy. I was happy with them.

Nov 09, 2016 at 01:56 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.