Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · H.S. Soccer - Championship game

Last game of the season. Our team lost.

Nov 03, 2016 at 09:27 PM
Andrew Villa
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · H.S. Soccer - Championship game

Second image! I love the timing of the header.

Nice work!

Nov 04, 2016 at 12:40 AM
macD600

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · H.S. Soccer - Championship game

I really like the action you caught. Great timing and framing.
I don't know if the photos you posted are low res or if there is something wrong with my computer, but they for some reason all look soft on my screen. I will assume its just me. Looks like it was a fun game.

Nov 04, 2016 at 03:00 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · H.S. Soccer - Championship game

Grant,

These are some of the best peak action shots you've posted to date.

Yeah a few could be sharper. While the culprit could just be in the PP for jpgs, knowing your past work that seems doubtful. Most likely it's the result of the double edged blade presented to us when shooting wide open. At f/2.8 everything has to be about perfect, a good contrasting spot for the focal point to have locked on prior to shutter, distance out enough so DoF is sufficient, frame basically full so it's not cropped a bunch etc... BTW: 550mm - were you shooting with a TC attached? They have their downside regarding shapness and AF speed, some more than others though. When you have a few minutes to spare, take a look at where the actual focal point was for each of these and try to determine how the AF reacted at capture.

Regardless, very good timing. My pick is #3

Matt

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:52 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · H.S. Soccer - Championship game

schlotz wrote:
Grant,

These are some of the best peak action shots you've posted to date.

Yeah a few could be sharper. While the culprit could just be in the PP for jpgs, knowing your past work that seems doubtful. Most likely it's the result of the double edged blade presented to us when shooting wide open. At f/2.8 everything has to be about perfect, a good contrasting spot for the focal point to have locked on prior to shutter, distance out enough so DoF is sufficient, frame basically full so it's not cropped a bunch etc... BTW: 550mm - were you
...Show more

Thanks for the comments.

I recall many years ago when I first started sports photography and I posted some pics and Paul gracious mentioned they were . . . I think his exact words were, "these aren't very good". It didn't offend me, but i was humbled. He was right and I was grateful for his honest feedback. Made me work harder to learn more.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Grant

Nov 04, 2016 at 11:49 AM
macD600

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · H.S. Soccer - Championship game

Grant,
ok.. why is this photo above way sharper than what you originally posted? You got me very curious, what you fixed! Glad you figured it out.

Thanks

Nov 04, 2016 at 12:10 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · H.S. Soccer - Championship game

macD600 wrote:
Grant,
ok.. why is this photo above way sharper than what you originally posted? You got me very curious, what you fixed! Glad you figured it out.

Thanks

A bit more sharpening in LR.

I was lazy. Arghhhh

Nov 04, 2016 at 08:39 PM
drbob
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · H.S. Soccer - Championship game

Good images Grant! Nice to see your work. Our boys lost big to Stillwater in the state semis... they're at a different level. Pretty awesome to shoot in the new stadium. Both our girls and guys made the semis, so I got to shoot there twice. A little strange to be shooting in a dome and have to deal with sun shadows.

bb

Nov 06, 2016 at 11:29 PM
cs3is
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · H.S. Soccer - Championship game

Great timing.

Nov 11, 2016 at 09:23 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · H.S. Soccer - Championship game

Grant... great action, but everything is soft. Sorry. To me it looks like PP because the focal plane is fine.

Nov 11, 2016 at 02:30 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.