New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · College graduation

yansgtp

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · College graduation

I’ll be taking pictures of my daughter’s graduation (college) I’d like to get great pictures of her walking across the stage and so on. All I know is it‘ll be in the school auditorium and from what I remember it’s fairly dark. The unknown are how close I’ll be or if I can move around. Assuming I’ll have to do this from my chair what would be a great lens for this I’ll have my Canon 85 1.8 for outside pictures. I was thinking about getting the 70 -200 2.8L mark ll. These are the bodies I have is Canon 5D mark lll and 7D mark ll I have several lenses. Please help.

Yan

Nov 03, 2016 at 02:33 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · College graduation

Well, it's a great excuse to pick up a 70-200! With the unknowns however, there's no way to tell if it will help.

Check with the school. Almost everyone has photography outfits that take the diploma walk. They do this all the time. It's better just to buy the photo from them. It's usually reasonable. I'd also spring for a professionally done cap and gown photo.

Save your photo efforts for post graduation family group photos.

Congrats to your daughter!

Nov 03, 2016 at 02:42 PM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · College graduation

A 5D3 and 70-200 2.8L should be good enough. If you really want to get a little better, see if you can use a 6D or 5D4. The 6D may still be Canon's best low light camera.

Nov 03, 2016 at 03:11 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · College graduation

From a practical sense, Dennis is absolutely right. But get the 70-200 anyway.

The 5D3 paired with the 70-200 you want is a killer combo. I've shot over 50,000 frames with it. It just never misses, unless the distance and dimness of the venue is ridiculous, such as a high school football field at night, with the action on the other side of the field. I shoot my local high school graduation ceremony every year with it. As Dennis mentions, there's another outfit that captures the diploma hand-off, as well as the graduates walking off-stage, both with on-camera flash. I shoot for the school from the floor of the venue, no flash, with this combo and I'll put my results up against anyone's. Totally different goals, but I'm always happy with what I get.

Nov 03, 2016 at 03:18 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · College graduation

be prepared and visit the venue well in-advance of the grad. date.

unless you have floor access, which more than likely not with a large graduation class, you may have to shoot at angles to the stage. so knowing entry and exit sides of the stage is crucial to get the shots.

minimum working lens for me is 300/2.8. and depending on the distance, i will use the 1.4x, 1.7x, or 2x converter to extend the reach. and yes, 600mm reach with a high iso (+3200) body come in handy :-)

also, all stage will have directional spot lights, so be sure to use spot meter for the face to prevent over-exposure. more than likely, this will have the effect of blackening the bg, which to me is perfectly ok.

i cannot stress this enough but: remind your daughter not to be excited and to slow down when walking across the stage, pause, and face the audiences after each stop with the school officials. this will give you more time to capture the diploma hand-off and the handshakes with school officials.

good luck!

Nov 03, 2016 at 04:36 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · College graduation

oh.... btw, due to security issue, you may not be able to bring camera backpack or longer than normal lenses/gears inside.

verify the regulations and restrictions in advance.

Nov 03, 2016 at 04:39 PM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · College graduation

tntcorp wrote:
minimum working lens for me is 300/2.8. and depending on the distance, i will use the ... 2x converter to extend the reach. and yes, 600mm reach with a high iso (+3200) body come in handy :-)

So...now you're at 600mm @ f/5.6. Just use a 600mm F/4L lens. I mean...we all got one laying around anyway.

Nov 03, 2016 at 05:04 PM
yansgtp

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · College graduation

01Ryan10 wrote:
So...now you're at 600mm @ f/5.6. Just use a 600mm F/4L lens. I mean...we all got one laying around anyway.

Ooh yes I have a few sitting around.

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:08 AM
yansgtp

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · College graduation

Thanks for all your pointers. I want the 70-200 2.8 ll anyway maybe I'm just trying to justify it.

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:10 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · College graduation

Despite the price, for me it has been by far the most cost-effective photographic purchase.

Nov 04, 2016 at 05:10 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · College graduation

yansgtp wrote:
I want the 70-200 2.8 ll anyway maybe I'm just trying to justify it.

good excuse, only the best for your children (or pics of your children)

Nov 04, 2016 at 05:53 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · College graduation

01Ryan10 wrote:

lol... ever try convincing security to permit entry with the 600/4?... :-)

Nov 08, 2016 at 09:47 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · College graduation

CW100 wrote:
good excuse, only the best for your children (or pics of your children)

70-200/2.8 is a nice all around lens but may not be the best tool for this specific occasion.

the sigma 150-600/4.5-6.3 is a much better buy if you can mate it with a high iso body for this occasion.

Nov 08, 2016 at 09:54 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.