Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

In case it isn't old news to some of us here, the OM-D E-1 Mkii price has been confirmed by Olympus.

The OM-D E-1 Mkii is starting at $,2000.00 USD.

Now that is a surprise, I imagine, not just to me, but to most peoples former expecations.
I wonder why such a steep increase? It seems like many brands are raising prices quite steeply this year or so, I wonder what's the cost increase factor behind these steep hikes?

Still going to get on, if you were planning to?

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/omd/e-m1-mark-ii.html?gclid=CKDhqd-XjdACFUVDhgodwvQEqw&kwid=165162916408x33936353975x450442742

Nov 03, 2016 at 06:16 PM
itai195
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

Is there really a reason to have a third thread about this?

Nov 03, 2016 at 09:05 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

Is there some reason NOT to discuss the impact of the price? Perhaps a threat to National security? Perhaps we don't want too many posts here in the new M43 forum?

I'm personaly a fan of detailed threads honed to a single question, versus one 732 page thread about every aspect of a lens or body. It's easy to lose focus and to pick up the thread, so to speak.

And this is likely to be the number one issue about this still unreleased Camera body. To think it won't come up and maybe just not be noticed if we avoid it ... is the ostrich theory, imho. Hiding the downsides does the brand no favors.

Nov 03, 2016 at 10:47 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

itai195 wrote:

Well, there have been only 7 threads started here in the last two days so maybe that is a good reason? Three threads about the price might be better than 0 threads about micro four thirds

Nov 03, 2016 at 11:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

itai195 wrote:

No, the price is already discussed on at least two other threads, along with reasons why the price is what it is.

Don't like the price, don't buy it. I have already seen a lower price of $1832, but then I bothered to look elsewhere in addition to here.

Nov 04, 2016 at 12:46 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

What are you two scared of? You don't want to have people notice the shocking price increase by putting the thing in it's own clearly titled thread? I assure you the whole world is talking about that ridiculous price jack-up.

Too late to keep a lid on it, and hope nobody notices? With the E-m1, a camera likely pretty much just as fast selling for 1199 brand new, this price increase is near an insane sixty percent hike? WTF? Is that why you'd rather not have a thread dedicated to this? It's not like most people aren't stunned by this already.

This makes me think that either Olympus management drank way too much saki, or that they are unable to sustain the constant quarterly losses. Neither is confidence inspiring.

Man, this makes the more capable Fuji X-T2 an outright steal. Why give up the advantages of larger sensors for more money? Insane!

Don't like the price, don't buy it? I'll do better than that. Olympus management really blew it.

After thinking about it on and off, as to whether the systems still has merit in this day and age of fantastic iPhones and much more capable larger sensor systems ... I'll be selling off my Olympus gear soon. Time to cut and run ... to better, more reasonably priced gear. I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Ciao!

Nov 04, 2016 at 02:39 AM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

Yes, you're right, we absolutely want to keep a price that's being actively discussed in multiple other threads and can be easily found in dozens of places online a secret. It's not that we simply don't want redundant and ranty threads.

Listen, I'm not a fan of the price either. But I think this is the way of things for the foreseeable future, and it won't just be Olympus.

Edited on Nov 04, 2016 at 03:59 AM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2016 at 03:11 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

At the end of the day, if their price increase causes a backlash and reduced sales, they'll make adjustments. If not, then they made the correct decision with the price.

Nov 04, 2016 at 03:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Julius
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

Pavel wrote:
What are you two scared of? You don't want to have people notice the shocking price increase by putting the thing in it's own clearly titled thread? I assure you the whole world is talking about that ridiculous price jack-up.

Too late to keep a lid on it, and hope nobody notices? With the E-m1, a camera likely pretty much just as fast selling for 1199 brand new, this price increase is near an insane sixty percent hike? WTF? Is that why you'd rather not have a thread dedicated to this? It's not like most people aren't stunned by this already.

This
...Show more

Why keep ranting about the price? If you do not like the price don't buy it.
BTW it is the #1 seller on Amazon.
If you want to get out of the MFT system then go ahead and do not post on this forum any longer.

Nov 04, 2016 at 04:31 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

Pavel wrote:

...Show more

Seems you are a bit delusional. You think people don't know the price if you don't start a thread about its price?

It happens to be all over the Web, and any camera store can tell you the price. You won't buy it because YOU think it is over-priced. I bet Olympus is shaking in their boots because of your decision. You might be stunned by the price (or just stunned), but I guess all those already pre-ordering don't agree with you, do they?

Just run off and buy your fantastic iPhones and much more capable larger sensor systems . Or you could start a few more threads complaining about the price. I could care less.

Adios

Nov 04, 2016 at 05:48 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

Iwas joeking wrote:
At the end of the day, if their price increase causes a backlash and reduced sales, they'll make adjustments. If not, then they made the correct decision with the price.

Yup, that's the beauty of the free market and supply and demand. If there's not enough demand for the product, the price will adjust, some more quickly than others. I remember the GX8 being released at a higher than anticipated price only to see price drops rather quickly in the product life.

Nov 04, 2016 at 12:49 PM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

It's amusing to look at the positions people are taking on the pricing. It's quite the gamut we see here. We have someone willing to ditch their entire m43 line up due to the price, and on the other, we see people applauding how fair and reasonable it is for a flagship.
I think it's fair to say that we can have a fair bit of confidence in much of what Olympus is claiming such as speed, weatherproofing and so on. But we do have to temper their claims of continuous focus tracking and "best IQ ever" until proper reviews and Raw files are available. I'm confident there will be some improvement in the sensor over the M1, but just how much remains to be seen(interestingly, dynamic range of the M1 is marginally higher than the Canon 5Ds at base ISO).
Somewhat suspicious in my book is that the camera has not been given to a sports photog somewhere yet.

Nov 04, 2016 at 01:38 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

Iwas joeking wrote:
It's amusing to look at the positions people are taking on the pricing. It's quite the gamut we see here. We have someone willing to ditch their entire m43 line up due to the price, and on the other, we see people applauding how fair and reasonable it is for a flagship.
I think it's fair to say that we can have a fair bit of confidence in much of what Olympus is claiming such as speed, weatherproofing and so on. But we do have to temper their claims of continuous focus tracking and "best IQ ever" until proper reviews
...Show more

The autofocus performance is going to make or break this camera at this price. If the autofocus is there the price might hold but if not it will drop quickly unless Olympus just plans to sell fewer units at higher margins.

Nov 04, 2016 at 08:08 PM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

RobCD wrote:
The autofocus performance is going to make or break this camera at this price. If the autofocus is there the price might hold but if not it will drop quickly unless Olympus just plans to sell fewer units at higher margins.

Yep. If they want to reap the benefits of a 1Dx/D5 pricing in their lineup, it better deliver far better AF than it's predecessor. If the AF is excellent, it will be one dynamite little machine.

Nov 04, 2016 at 08:44 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

So beautifully put. I wish I had said it like that.
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/the-price-of-enthusiasm.html

Nov 09, 2016 at 12:25 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · OM-D E-1 Mkii price released.

Pavel wrote:
So beautifully put. I wish I had said it like that.
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/the-price-of-enthusiasm.html

I couldn't really disagree more with that post.

I don't give a rats a** if my camera can share directly to an internet site, I want full control of my workflow, that includes editing of raw files on a computer screen, exporting to whatever size and file type I want, and to whatever page for that matter.
Also, comparing purely sensor size is another silly thing that has been going on for a long time. Soon Fujifilm will release their sub 10k medium format camera + 1 lens setup, does in effect make the 6500 dollar Nikon D5 (without lens) a too expensive camera due to the small sensor? I wouldn't think so because the two cameras aren't ment to compete. You wouldn't bring the GFX 50 to a high speed car race in order to shoot high speed sequential.

Thom Hogan often get many things right in his reviews and opinions but not always. Not this time.

In this case, like I said, I couldn't disagree with him more. I think he missed the whole point of the E-M1 Mk II and other high speced mirrorless cameras.

Nov 09, 2016 at 04:46 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password