Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Canon 580 ex ii - AF assist light in servo mode?

dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 580 ex ii - AF assist light in servo mode?

I often use servo mode for everyday photography, however at night I found the flashes infrared assist light only works on one-shot. Is there a way to enable the assist light while in servo? (using 5D3)

Thanks
David

Nov 02, 2016 at 08:39 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 580 ex ii - AF assist light in servo mode?

no the assist light on any of the flashes only works in ONE SHOT .

Nov 03, 2016 at 02:03 AM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 580 ex ii - AF assist light in servo mode?

If you have a fairly recent camera e.g. the 5D IV, 5DS-R and probably some others, you can get around this by assigning different functions to some buttons. For example you can assign the AF-On button to one shot and the * button to servo. Then just use the * button to focus in your normal servo way but for occasions when you need focus assist use the AF-On button to focus instead.

Its not obvious how to do it but pretty straight forward if you study the manual.

Pete

Nov 03, 2016 at 04:30 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 580 ex ii - AF assist light in servo mode?

Thanks.
I can switch modes with the dof button, but was hoping for a servo option.
Thanks to both of you for your help.

Nov 03, 2016 at 06:30 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 580 ex ii - AF assist light in servo mode?

If you think about it for assist to work in servo mode the lamp would have to remain on resulting in the likelihood that the red assist grid would be seen in the image .( Maybe the flash would on!her power the red in most cases )

Nov 03, 2016 at 07:43 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 580 ex ii - AF assist light in servo mode?

Yes that makes sense. I suppose to turn off the assist lamp briefly for image capture would inherently make servo off focus to some degree, but possibly better than one-shot. Maybe the camera computer could still extrapolate its best guess anyway with a caveat in the manual that it may not work well with fast or erratic subjects.

No matter though.
Easy enough for me to adapt now that I know what the camera will do, and still get good shots using one-shot.

Thanks again.

David

Nov 03, 2016 at 07:55 AM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 580 ex ii - AF assist light in servo mode?

dgdg wrote:
Thanks.
I can switch modes with the dof button, but was hoping for a servo option.
Thanks to both of you for your help.

Just to clarify a bit more: the reason I assign one shot to the AF-On button and AI Servo to the * button rather than use the depth of field button is that its a lot easier to operate these two buttons without getting into contortions. I've used the * button for focus rather than the shutter button for years so it comes naturally to me.

I seem to remember I tried the DOP button when I was setting up my 5D-IV and 5DS-R but I think it was necessary to keep holding down the DOF button to switch to One Shot etc.

I agree with the other that it would probably be impractical to have the flash focus assist whilst the cam is on servo much as I've wished for that with previous bodies.

Pete

Nov 03, 2016 at 09:13 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 580 ex ii - AF assist light in servo mode?

Thanks Pete.

My 5D3 does not have the ability to assign one shot to the AF-On button and AI Servo to the * button AFAIK, or I would use that instead. Having to hold down the dof button does require some commitment to one mode or the other.
Would be nice to also have different default AF modes with each back button focus (ex all af points for servo, but assign single af point with surround assist for one-shot). Does the 5DIV do this?

Nov 03, 2016 at 09:28 AM
wallstreetonei
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 580 ex ii - AF assist light in servo mode?

I setup my Canon cameras similarly (1DXii and 5DSR) and it works perfectly for both events and sports - i.e. the ability to do both One-Shot for flash assist - and AI-Servo, multiple modes, when desired

For me
- Shutter Metering only (also engages IS on 70-200 which is key)
- AF-ON (focus pt pass through so it isn't locked, One-Shot so flash focus assist will work if needed)
- * (AI-Servo, Case 2, center 9 points)
- DoF button (AI-Servo, basically case 5, All AF points) - this is my steroid mode when needed

Nov 03, 2016 at 09:59 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.