Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

Max_Pain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

I just did some test 4K videos to get acquainted with the 5DIV. The DPAF tracking and touch to focus system is just awesome. But holy heck those video files at 4K MJPG are ridiculously big. 11 second video at 728MB?! 1:01 video at 3.79GB?

So using and recording videos is swell. But now I'm having an issue. I've tried playing off my photo drive and off my SSD drive, both using the built-in Windows Movie app and my go to player, VLC. They both play the audio track fine, but the video refreshes so there's a frame change every few seconds. If I pause the video, and I click around, I can see the recording is fine. Just that I can't play it back!

My computer isn't new, but it's not a slouch either. I've got a i7 3770, 16gb DDR3 ram, GTX 970 video card and like I said, a SSD. This should play, no?

Am I missing something here for getting the videos to play back?

Thank you.

Nov 02, 2016 at 07:07 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

I've not played with a 5D IV yet, but I'd imagine that the set of software that came with the camera has one that should play your 4K video well? Your computer seems powerful enough to crunch 4K video with ease.

Nov 02, 2016 at 08:43 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

Great point. The CD that came with the camera did NOT include EOS Movie Utility. But I got that from the Canon website and it plays the video smoothly and does allow me to extract the stills too. Cool. Thanks!

Still won't use 4K for almost anything given the ridiculous file size. But glad to be able to have a better handle on it.

Nov 02, 2016 at 09:54 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

Max_Pain wrote:
Still won't use 4K for almost anything given the ridiculous file size. But glad to be able to have a better handle on it.

If the 7D III will have 4K video, I wish they'll include an option for a more compressed file format, in addition to motion jpeg. The former will be great for regular filming, while the latter will be for still frame extraction.

I usually film birds in 1080p, and process to 720p. This allows me to improve composition, as well as introduce slight zooms and pans on long lens footage. 4K will allow me to use the same PP technique but with a higher res 1080p output, or use even more aggressive pans and zooms if the final product is 720p.

For very long focal lengths, I find it very tough to do smooth pans during filming, even with IS. Zooming during capture is of course not possible with big white primes.

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:34 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

Keep in mind the camera is doing some 1.7x or so cropping to use full sensor center for the 4K video, which I'm also not a huge fan of. I suppose it doesn't hurt for wildlife and such, but I was trying to do a home video of my baby and I quickly had to change lenses ...

Nov 03, 2016 at 08:30 AM
Future Man
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

Disappointing that I'll probably never use 4K on this camera due to the file size.

Nov 03, 2016 at 09:06 AM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

Future Man wrote:
Disappointing that I'll probably never use 4K on this camera due to the file size.

Perhaps not for its intended purpose but the ability to get 25 shots per second at 8mp JPEGs and with in effect a totally silent shutter can be a biggie. We would have killed for that not so many years ago when the 1D Mark II ruled the roost :- )

The film player included within my copy of Windows 10 plays the 4k files fine. My NLE which is Sony Vegas Pro 13 also plays the files but that would be a big step up unless you're actually into video editing.

Its strange that Canon didn't include the Movie utility with the other programs on disc. I downloaded it straight away. Its handy for stepping through the footage frame by frame to choose JPEGs to save as stills.

Pete

Nov 03, 2016 at 09:20 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

The format Canon uses is one that has two positive effects: it is very easy to pull stills out of, and it is very (very!) low-resource to edit in an NLE next to current delivery formats like H.265/HEVC.

Downside is file-size, but memory cards are cheap and only get cheaper, so...

Also, if you want to be able to play the video in most players/on most devices, you'll need to transcode it into something like the above H.256/HEVC first.

Here's the Wikipedia entry on the HEVC/H.265 codec

Nov 03, 2016 at 09:48 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

Liquidstone wrote:
If the 7D III will have 4K video, I wish they'll include an option for a more compressed file format, in addition to motion jpeg. The former will be great for regular filming, while the latter will be for still frame extraction.

This is what I've been saying all along with the 1DXII and 5D4, they need to offer a UHD mode say using mp4 and a still decent bit rate of around 200Mb/s.

mjpg compresses every single 8.8MP frame into a jpg, mp4 looks for differences in each frame and does compression based on whats changing between frames, so can be a lot smaller. You can still choose mjpg if you mainly intend to do stills extraction, shooting short bursts around peak action say.

Nov 03, 2016 at 09:28 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

Besides the benefits of the MJPG format as mentioned by johnctharp, the reason it is used is that due to low processing resources, the cameras do not need an internal fan. The cameras are dust and water sealed, so the use of mjpeg makes sense. Most if not all high end video cameras that shoot 4K or above, have internal fans.

In terms of watching the video files, besides converting to H264, the simple option is to connect a HDMI/HDMI mini cable between the camera and TV. The camera plays the video files without any stuttering. I have just tried it on my 1DX2.

Nov 05, 2016 at 07:03 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

Also note that the 'low processing resources' property has multiple facets; the first is actually price, as the proper codec for 4k (the above-mentioned H.265/HEVC) is expensive in its own right in terms of licensing, but so are hardware ASICs (dedicated processors) that can do the compression in real time.

The second is that to do this compression, processors are not yet available that are ultra-low-power, which means that such use will drain battery life more both to record *and* to play back, *and* to do the single-frame extraction, and the third is the effect of that power draw, which is heat generation .

Nov 05, 2016 at 07:13 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

WarrenL wrote:
Besides the benefits of the MJPG format as mentioned by johnctharp, the reason it is used is that due to low processing resources, the cameras do not need an internal fan. The cameras are dust and water sealed, so the use of mjpeg makes sense. Most if not all high end video cameras that shoot 4K or above, have internal fans.

I wonder how Sony, Olympus and other SLR-type bodies are delivering compressed 4K video. I'm not aware if these DSLRs have internal fans.

Nov 05, 2016 at 04:50 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5DIV 4K video is unplayable... suggestions?

They use compressed formats, and may be why there are heat issues and the cameras overheat and shut down. You could even shoot 4K60 for 30 minutes at time without the body overheating on the 1DX2

Nov 05, 2016 at 05:51 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.