New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Calibration Considerations

Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Calibration Considerations

I'm now looking for a new Monitor profiling, or perhaps way of making custom ICC profiles if I can find a less expensive way than most of the solutions aimed at pre-press or business' that have deeper pockets than most photographers are willing to spend.

As far as background, I've not had need of highly accurate monitors for several years. The last hardware device was the X-rite i1 LT and it hardly gave me confidence as the sofware was so limited and the results slightly variable. Furthermore, I found X-rite to be a company that offers terrible support for their hardware. I bought that puck, in 2008, and the software was NEVER updated since the day I bought it. It seems that X-rite is one of those companies that once a new product is out, the old one is forgotten and one is expected to pay all over again.

Now I'd like to stress the word "seems" in the above paragraph. I'd be happy, relieved really, if my impression was a one off, and that my viewpoint is not valid. That would be a good thing, and I guess that is the first question then, for owners of their products. Is it a company and set of products you are happy with?

I now want to shoot different subject matter and perhaps print again. So I want to gather information and opinions here as far as the best way forward, with bang for the buck a consideration.

I still have the abandoned X-rite i1 LT, but suspect that the hardware has evolved enough that I should move on and get something new rather than use it with the Open source and free Display Cal, which is very feature full, but very slow (35 minutes with the i1 lt) or with the German BasicColor Display which is a reasonable 100 Euro for a seat. I have not tried the Basic Color Display - has anyone here used it, and if so, what are your thoughts? What sort of hardware have you run it with?

So the choices are X-rite's Color Munki or i1Display pro versus the Spyder 5 Pro, or Elite Model. For owners of these products, are you satisfied with the provided software of are there any frustrations that have you wishing you used something else, or to use the hardware with an aftermarket software product?

In reading days of reviews I have the first impression that at the lower price points it does not seem to make much difference, the software works for most uses but is limiting for more advanced users or for unusual challenges. Is that about the sum of it?

As one pays for the premium products and gets the more advanced software options, I'm not yet with any sort of opinions as to if any hardware/software combo is more effective or not, but do find it interesting that companies that seem to be serious in supplying the higher end software tend to lean a bit towards the X-rite stuff. I wonder why, or if that is in fact a small clue that the X-rite hardware may be superior?

So, for those of you that have gotten into Hardware based profiling in the last year or two, what advice would you give? So many options and combinations, claims and features - that it can make one's head spin.

Oh .... and I need some sort of solution for both Mac and PC, but PC only up to windows 7 or 8. Thanks.

Nov 02, 2016 at 01:42 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Calibration Considerations

the problem w/ old i1 LT or display2 was their plastic filters that faded over time.

I'd suggest the newer i1Display Pro.

I have BasICColor Display so ask any questions. It wouldn't be the route to choose in your situation.

Nov 02, 2016 at 02:53 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Calibration Considerations

howardm4 wrote:
the problem w/ old i1 LT or display2 was their plastic filters that faded over time.

I'd suggest the newer i1Display Pro.

I have BasICColor Display so ask any questions. It wouldn't be the route to choose in your situation.

Interesting. I have been in correspondence with the makers of BasicColor and am on initial impressions very impressed with their willingness to explain details.

They feel that the i1Pro is the better choice over all the other options, or their own OEM version of the same product and mentioned the same detail you have about the i1 LT.

It would seem that X-rite like to lock things down as much as they can, so buying the BasicColor equivalent, the Squid 3 would leave me dependent on their software only, but for a vey reasonable price for three seats, while buying from X-rite lets me take a chance on their software, which I think is less full featured and where I have low confidence of future support. But it is just a bit less, not limited to licensing by seats ( I think) and for $100 I can purchase and use the BasicColor software as an alternative.

Tough choice. Can you tell me why you mention that you feel it would not be the best route for me, and what you like and dislike about the software?

Thanks.

Nov 04, 2016 at 09:28 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Calibration Considerations

In no particular order..........

Usually, XRite will OEM their product to, say, BasICColor or NEC but lock them down so that they can only be used by those respective pieces of software (or the free Argyll CMS software).

When you buy the i1Display Pro, you already get the i1Profiler software so why bother spending the $$ on BasICColor until/unless you actually see/experience the difference between the software packages. You can download BasICColor Display and get a 14 day free trial. I'm surprised they now have a 3seat rule. When I got it back in approx 2010, it was 1 seat and they lock it to the machine(s) in question.

It's fine and does a nice job but like I said, i1Profiler is quite capable, esp. in Advanced mode.

Nov 05, 2016 at 08:16 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.