Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

Still not renting.

Nov 03, 2016 at 09:33 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

I'd like to have one feature only. The channel mixer. Don't need a single other feature and don't like the idea of renting neither, but if they just rent me the channel mixer for a fair 29 cents a month - I'm in!

I imaging they let people run the old version in parallel ( do they) until any bugs are found and fixed, right?

Nov 03, 2016 at 10:55 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

The Channel Mixer has been in Ps for many many years. You don't need to "rent" to get it.

Nov 03, 2016 at 11:05 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

I would add to make sure you check the advanced options when you update CC and uncheck the wipe out previous versions box, so you retain all previous CC versions. Not only does this update look pretty superficial on the surface, like most of the recent ones, but we have no idea how many major flaws have been introduced, and given Adobe's recent track record like the printing bug in 2015.5, we would be foolish to assume they did any better testing this time around.

Nov 03, 2016 at 11:09 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

Pavel wrote:
I imaging they let people run the old version in parallel ( do they) until any bugs are found and fixed, right?

Yes, old versions of Photoshop can co-exist on machines with newer versions. All versions of Photoshop have bugs.

Nov 03, 2016 at 11:13 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

ebiggs wrote:
Still not renting.

+1

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:12 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

Mr Mouse wrote:
Yes, old versions of Photoshop can co-exist on machines with newer versions. All versions of Photoshop have bugs.

It's been a long while since I used photoshop. I stopped buying it ... jeez, so long ago that I can't remember. Work used to pay for it, but while I don't like to rent, I would if I used more than the one feature that I'm stuck not having, that channel mixer. I have to say that I'm impressed that one can run two versions concurrently, I somehow thought that would not be an option.

As for all versions having bugs, are there any that are serious in your view? I tried out the demo of LR last week, but blew it when other commitments came up and I only got two days and a few hours total to play with it. I'll wait to try out PS again, later when I have more time. I do think that a demo for seven days is kind of strangely stingy.

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

Peter Figen wrote:
The Channel Mixer has been in Ps for many many years. You don't need to "rent" to get it.

Peter, can you explain how I can get the channel mixer in PS without renting photoshop? I even called them last year, thinking I was missing a link to purchase a copy and they told me it is for rent only.

Has something changed that I've missed. That would be good news, if the price is inline with other top end pro software such as LR or Capture One, or even perhaps a bit more.

Thanks.

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:40 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

Mr Mouse wrote:

Show me a piece of complex software without bugs. Seems like a whole industry can productively use PS.

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

Mr Mouse wrote:

lets get it right: all versions of all software have bugs.

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:59 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

Pavel - The Channel Mixer was added to Photoshop in v5 (before any of the CC versions) in 1998, so any version after that, if it will run on your computer will have it. I think Adobe even GIVES away CS2 for free or you can certainly find something on Craigslist or eBay for little money if you don't want to go with the subscription model. But to get Ps alone or with Lr is so inexpensive, and it will run on the latest operating systems - something you can't guarantee with older versions, that it generally makes the most sense to do that.

Nov 03, 2016 at 01:36 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

Peter Figen wrote:
Pavel - The Channel Mixer was added to Photoshop in v5 (before any of the CC versions) in 1998, so any version after that, if it will run on your computer will have it. I think Adobe even GIVES away CS2 for free or you can certainly find something on Craigslist or eBay for little money if you don't want to go with the subscription model. But to get Ps alone or with Lr is so inexpensive, and it will run on the latest operating systems - something you can't guarantee with older versions, that it generally makes the
...Show more

Rock n' roll. Thanks. I need it for infra Red and I did not know the old one was for free. I will try it.

Nov 03, 2016 at 01:45 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

Well, no joy in Mudville. I dug up my last bought copy, funny how time flies, it was PS CS3, so no dice because when I tried to install on Mavericks a long while back, if failed with an impressive array of errors. Now I'm on Sierra so I'm not even going to try it. The CD is from Adobe's days of offering only one platform or the other and so I can't install this on neither Widows 7 nor Windows 8.

Perhaps the free version for my win 7 or 8. I don't really care that it does not support my raw files, as I use Capture one for all my conversions anyways. So my choice seems to boil down to dedicating one of my PC's to Infra Red work or caving in on my long held principle and "renting". But I wonder, no matter how much beer I drink - will I respect myself in the morning? It better have NONE of those rumored bugs in this new release in that case.

Adobe says "Create anything you can imagine. Anywhere you are". Bugs are not mentioned.

Nov 03, 2016 at 02:13 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

You just need to start imagining bugs. Think Cronenberg and Naked Lunch.

Nov 03, 2016 at 02:25 PM
Amrit

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

It seems there is still no option to scale the GUI to 150% instead of 200%

There must be lots of people using 4K screens who would be very happy with more scaling options, or maybe not?

Nov 03, 2016 at 02:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

not as many as you may think due to the lack of color accuracy. it scales down nicely though. scaling up will come.

Nov 03, 2016 at 02:37 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

Downloaded and installed it with the option to remove older version. Well that was a big mistake, as it wouldn't work. Crashed on startup every time.
Luckily I had only just done a Time Machine backup, so I ran that and took me back to before the install.
Then I downloaded and installed again, this time keeping the older version. And now they both work. Very strange!

Nov 04, 2016 at 08:29 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · PScc 2017 downloadable today

its a Mac thing.

Nov 04, 2016 at 10:55 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.