New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Odd D800 focusing problem

T-D-S

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Odd D800 focusing problem

I'm wondering if anyone else is having or has had the same problem as me.

Not long ago, my D800 was sent to Nikon for a focusing issue. The camera was focusing far beyond the focal point even after trying to fine-tune within the camera settings. The repair was around $350. After receiving the camera back from Nikon, all seemed fine. Only three weeks into using the camera, however, I was getting occasional autofocus issues again. This time, the camera seemed to be focusing in front of the focal point. Iíve been going +10 in my fine tuning camera settings to offset this problem. This doesnít work well, however, because the focusing issue is sporadic. Sometimes I need the camera at +10, other times 0. The amount varies regardless of focal length or lens being used.

Also, Iíve identified two possibly related issues to help with troubleshooting.

1. Sporadically after taking a picture, the next shot will not get a focal point. The lens just focuses in and out searching for a focal point, but it never finds one. Iíve learned to just force a shot and then the next shot always gets a focal point with no problem at all. This might happen once every 15 to 30 shots.
  2. Sporadically after taking a picture, the view through the viewfinder goes very dim. I can still see through the viewfinder, but itís darker than it should be. Again, I can force a photo and the result is extremely over-exposed because the camera thinks it is darken than it is. This happens regardless of which lens is attached to the camera. This might happen once every 50 photos I take.

Anyone know what might be happening? This has me anticipating and almost begging for the next version of the D810 so I can just upgrade.

Nov 02, 2016 at 05:41 PM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Odd D800 focusing problem

Are you by any chance using a third-party battery? That would cause these sorts of issues (viewfinder going dark, etc.)

Christian

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:20 PM
T-D-S

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Odd D800 focusing problem

Christian, I wouldn't have thought of that. Yes, I do have a third-party battery. I had the issue a few times this morning when shooting so I checked to see what battery I was using. It was the Nikon battery that came with the camera, so I guess this isn't the culprit.

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:37 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Odd D800 focusing problem

Try blowing out the AF sensor slits, a simple rocket blower FTW

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:41 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password