New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

drewmey
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

Curious to know what other people tend to do/use to level their particular automated panning device when using an automated slider that is inclined? I want to be able to level the panning axis with the horizon

My Real Life Scenario: I am using a Syrp Genie to slide along a Syrp Magic Carpet. Sometimes I have the slider set on an incline so the camera will slide up or down to reveal something (classic, probably overused timelapse technique). When performing only slides, I use a ball head to level the camera. However, when adding the Syrp Genie Mini for pans, the pans will not be parallel to the horizon if the Genie Mini is screwed directly to the top of the Genie.

Would people recommend a ball head between the Genie and Genie Mini in this scenario? If so, the whole setup is like 3-4 ball heads! Maybe something like a two way pan tilt head. Any suggestions or experience?

Nov 02, 2016 at 04:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

I use an Acratech leveling head under my manual Feisol panning base. I'd want to do the same with an auto system, too.

Nov 02, 2016 at 05:08 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

Ah duh. A leveling base. Pretty simple and economical solution. Thanks!

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:30 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

Also, how much "correction" can you expect from leveling base. The 10 degrees that I am seeing on some will not be enough for most slider inclines...think a 30-60 degree incline. I am thinking another ball head is probably the best bet.

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

can you show an image of your setup?

Nov 02, 2016 at 07:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

drewmey wrote:
...think a 30-60 degree incline. I am thinking another ball head is probably the best bet.

I'd prefer to use a geared head, but they're generally big, heavy, expensive, and klunky, especially for travel. I bought an Arca-Swiss C1 Cube head a couple of years ago, primarily for travel when I'm shooting tilt-shift and I generally have time to "do it right". Also, I sometimes use the Cube with my 500/4L IS, when I want precise movement.

I often use a Manfrotto 410 geared head in the studio, it's a lot less expensive than the Cube, plus it has gears in all three angular directions (most have un-geared panning rotation). Unfortunately, the 410 is very klunky.

OTOH, I often shoot from angled slopes, but generally have sufficient freedom to get close enough to level for the Acratech, by adjusting tripod leg lengths.

Nov 02, 2016 at 09:00 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

I just got a use Manfrotto leveler here

Nov 02, 2016 at 09:33 PM
D.Hussey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

jcolwell wrote:
I'd prefer to use a geared head, but they're generally big, heavy, expensive, and klunky, especially for travel. I bought an Arca-Swiss C1 Cube head a couple of years ago, primarily for travel when I'm shooting tilt-shift and I generally have time to "do it right". Also, I sometimes use the Cube with my 500/4L IS, when I want precise movement.

I often use a Manfrotto 410 geared head in the studio, it's a lot less expensive than the Cube, plus it has gears in all three angular directions (most have un-geared panning rotation). Unfortunately, the 410 is very klunky.

OTOH,
...Show more

"Unfortunately, the 410 is very klunky"
I agree with this assessment but after peeling back the gradation stickers and tightening things up on mine it isn't nearly as bad .... still a little klunky, but much better

Nov 03, 2016 at 03:11 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

D.Hussey wrote:
"Unfortunately, the 410 is very klunky"
I agree with this assessment but after peeling back the gradation stickers and tightening things up on mine it isn't nearly as bad .... still a little klunky, but much better

Hi David,

By klunky, I mean kind of big and awkward, especially when packing up a travel kit. I could probably find a better word for that.

I'm on my second 410. I dropped my first one, and one of the axes got a little bent; tough to move. So, I gave it to the good folks at a local community college. As far as smooth movement goes, my 410 head is pretty good. No complaints, other than noted.

Nov 03, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

there is also the KPS (TPS?) geared ballhead, the Arca D4 Geared Head and some Asian (Sunway) knockoffs of the Cube etc.

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:13 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

sjms wrote:
can you show an image of your setup?

Sorry, don't have the opportunity to take pictures but I will use some photos on the internet to describe it a little better. The slider is on an incline like this. You can see how I could easily use a ball head to level it since I am not too worried about rotation. It will simply just be gliding along the track. However, when I introduce the Genie Mini (panning motion), it stays parallel to the slider because it is screwed directly into the (regular) Genie as shown here.

So when you combine those two scenarios, it sounds like I will just need a geared head or another ball head between the Genie and the Genie Mini...gear head probably preferred. Thanks everyone.

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:29 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

jcolwell wrote:

OTOH,
...Show more

Thanks I will look in to some of these but they might be difficult to justify if large/not suited well for travel. Unfortunately, this is a scenario where I don't want to get level enough to use leveling base. The incline is what often creates an interesting motion when the scene calls for it.

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

The Cube is OK for travel. It's not very big but it's relatively heavy. Also, it's very expensive. So expensive that I carry it on the plane, instead of packing it in checked luggage with the rest of my support gear.

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:52 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

drewmey wrote:
Sorry, don't have the opportunity to take pictures but I will use some photos on the internet to describe it a little better. The slider is on an incline like this. You can see how I could easily use a ball head to level it since I am not too worried about rotation. It will simply just be gliding along the track. However, when I introduce the Genie Mini (panning motion), it stays parallel to the slider because it is screwed directly into the (regular) Genie as shown here.

So when you combine those two scenarios, it sounds like I will
...Show more

now I have the idea. thank you. and you are correct if you keep it simple it will work.

Nov 03, 2016 at 01:46 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

If a leveling base has enough incline, it would be a good solution. If you need more angle, then a ball head is about your only choice. A low profile and rigid ball head like the Really Right Stuff BH-55 would be good, but expensive.

I use short Arca Swiss dovetail bases on the bottom of most of my things like pan bases and ball heads and gimbal heads and fluid heads and my gear head, and then mix and match as needed on my tripods or my slider. If you went that way, you could put your special pan base on the slider directly, or quickly add a leveling base, or quickly add a ball head. And those items could also be used on tripods when not in use on the slider. Having quick detach using Arca Swiss also means that it is much easier to pack gear around that can still be quickly configured and set up.

I also added a long Arca Swiss rail to the bottom of my slider, so it is fast and easy to mount on one centered or two separated tripods with ball heads and AS clamps. It can also go directly on a tripod that has a built in leveling head, because the top of that leveling head has an Arca Swiss clamp.

Nov 03, 2016 at 11:38 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

Is there a way to mount the Genie on top of the ball head and under the camera? That seems like the simplest solution to me... but maybe I am missing something.

Paul

Nov 04, 2016 at 12:53 AM
D.Hussey
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leveling Camera for Panning on A Tilted Slider

jcolwell wrote:
Hi David,

By klunky, I mean kind of big and awkward, especially when packing up a travel kit. I could probably find a better word for that.

I'm on my second 410. I dropped my first one, and one of the axes got a little bent; tough to move. So, I gave it to the good folks at a local community college. As far as smooth movement goes, my 410 head is pretty good. No complaints, other than noted.

I agree Jim, it is a little cumbersome and heavy ... or maybe a lot
My problem with the 410 was excessive amounts of backlash which led to my impression of 'klunky-ness', but since tightening things down it does well exactly what it is intended to do. Due to its weight it is pretty much relegated to my in-vehicle swiveling mount I use when chasing lighting or auroras where I find it very useful

Nov 04, 2016 at 03:06 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password