Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

Exact-ta-mundo!!!!!!!!

Dec 03, 2016 at 02:21 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

Some of the more 'shady' resellers don't want you on the thread,
so they can avoid less than great feedback. Ask me how I know

Dec 03, 2016 at 02:37 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

Imagemaster wrote:
There are some people that ask stupid questions and clutter up your thread, hence the requests for PM's only. It is the Sellers thread and he has the right to ask for questions by PM only.

It is similar to the rule that you are not allowed to be the "price police" on someone's thread.

If someone doesn't like that, they can move on. If someone asks a question on a B&S thread where I have requested they not do so, I will PM them to remove it. If they refuse, I will have the Moderator remove it.

---------------------------------------------

dhlewis wrote:
Totally agree with Tony on this. FM members pay for the right to advertise their gear for sale. While I don't have a problem with relevant questions, many post comments about Canon no longer servicing a lens etc. In many cases it is obvious they are not a prospective buyer, just their opinion on the items. This often leads to other off topic comments. To me this is thread pollution. While the prospective buyer has the responsibility to do their own research on the for sale item, if the seller wants communication via PM I think that is their right
...Show more

Thanks, Tony and Dale. I appreciate your input. I totally agree that unhelpful commentary is undesirable and understand why any seller would want to avoid it. I've sold a few things here over the years, myself, and have received plenty of questions of both the thoughtful and inane varieties . I've always thought along the lines of what Mickey said earlier, but certainly would respect another seller's wishes regarding method of communication.

I would venture to say we've covered the topic enough. If anyone would like to share any further thoughts, please PM me instead of posting to the thread . Have a great weekend, everyone!

Dec 03, 2016 at 04:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

PM sent.

Dec 03, 2016 at 09:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

jcolwell wrote:
PM sent.

EBH

Dec 03, 2016 at 10:25 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

jcolwell wrote:
PM sent.

Why am I not surprised? There's always one wise guy in every crowd, and around here, it's usually Jimmy Colwell .

Dec 04, 2016 at 01:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

Dec 04, 2016 at 01:37 PM
blurredvision
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

I haven't sold much on this forum but have on others, and I always default to typing "send me a PM with any questions". Why? I don't really know, I just always have. It seems like if somebody wants to have a conversation about the item I'm selling, it makes sense to step into another "room" to talk.

Some questions make sense to post for everyone else to see (specific questions about the item) and other questions should be just for you two (price negotiation).

Dec 04, 2016 at 11:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bubble
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

i'm one of those will bold and cap the request not to respond to my FS thread. There are couples reasons behind it.

1. Lots of time, you will get some stupid respond such as: i got the same lens, great lens. Good luck with your sale. ==> I don't give a crap of what you have. I don't need your good luck.

2. Lots of time, you will get some stupid respond as "tag". WTF? why do you tag on my thread? you're not even want to buy. Why tag for no reason?

3. I want to keep it clean looking. As you mention, i don't need free bump. If my price is right, it will move regardless of free bump or not.

4. Most important, without your respond, i can delete my thread if i want to.

Since i apply that rule to my FS thread, i filter out lots of lowball offer or some nonsense talk from the newbie that just join the forum, respond to my fs to gain post count. After spending 10 years at this forum, i've seen enough and i'm at the point of "this is my rule, you don't like it, move along"

One perfect example of the stupid respond here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1466632

Dec 28, 2016 at 01:50 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

jcolwell wrote:
I'll send you my thoughts by PM.

That's it, get out, you're fired.

Jan 04, 2017 at 08:37 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

I also think that an extended exchange on a B&S thread tends to make me think "okay, this person probably bought the item and the seller just hasn't updated the listing yet" and move on. Especially if I'm in a hurry.

Jan 04, 2017 at 08:40 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

jcolwell wrote:
I'll send you my thoughts by PM.

Lee Saxon wrote:
That's it, get out, you're fired.

That's gonna be really huge !

Jan 04, 2017 at 12:54 PM
GRM
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

I assume people don't want to reply directly to their thread if they intend to delete the post after the transaction is completed. One reply to a post and the whole post can't be deleted.
I once purchased a camera from a 'respected' member and before I even had a chance to tag the thread, he deleted it. When I asked how are we supposed to exchange feedback he failed to answer my question. Needles to say that was a bad transaction for me. The 'mint' condition was more like 'garbage' condition. He made it right in the end but after so many years I avoid clicking on his 'for sale' posts, even if I want what he's selling (read the title and move on).

Jan 09, 2017 at 03:33 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

GRM wrote:
Needles to say that was a bad transaction for me.

Man, that stings for sure!

Jan 09, 2017 at 03:26 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

GRM wrote:
I assume people don't want to reply directly to their thread if they intend to delete the post after the transaction is completed. One reply to a post and the whole post can't be deleted.
I once purchased a camera from a 'respected' member and before I even had a chance to tag the thread, he deleted it. When I asked how are we supposed to exchange feedback he failed to answer my question. Needles to say that was a bad transaction for me. The 'mint' condition was more like 'garbage' condition. He made it right in the end but after
...Show more

Why not just tag some other thread by that seller so you can leave feedback explaining what happened? Not very good forum etiquette perhaps, but we all depend on buyers and sellers leaving honest feedback for each transaction.

Jan 09, 2017 at 07:19 PM
Etherton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Why do some sellers want all questions by PM only?

GRM wrote:
I assume people don't want to reply directly to their thread if they intend to delete the post after the transaction is completed.

That's a big broad if you're insinuating there. Personally, I don't want to have a conversation back and forth in my threads. It's happened before. It's also needless bumping and I am not the only one using the B/S board. I always post enough information and photos that it shouldn't be needed. One shouldn't assume that a seller has ill intentions because they have specific B/S policies in place.

edit: I think Bubble touched on this earlier but had a brand new member post "PM sent" in my ad last night at 1:00AM. Asking if the item was still available and if I'd separate a bundle. Yes, no and no reply after that. Ugh!

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:58 AM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password