Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

College Football

Boss302
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · College Football

Amateur at sports, but through connections with my husband got to get media pass for photography along the sidelines at his alma mater last year and this year. These are from this past weekend's game - sometimes you get to be at the right place at the right time...

NIKON D90    28.0-300.0 mm f/3.5-5.6 lens    180mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3S    70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 lens    200mm    f/2.8    1/5000s    250 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Nov 02, 2016 at 01:56 PM
mikekeating
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · College Football

Really like that first image. Was there anymore to the left?

Nov 02, 2016 at 02:13 PM
Boss302
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · College Football

mikekeating wrote:
Really like that first image. Was there anymore to the left?

Pretty sure there is - I'll revisit that.

Nov 02, 2016 at 02:16 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · College Football

These aren't terrible, but the crops are awkward (as I think Mike was alluding to in #1). Too much dead space on top and to the right on #1 and chopping feet is not great in the 2nd. It happens. Sometimes, it comes from being too tight. About the only way to fix them is to revist the crop. Since I don't have the originals or know what they look like, I'd suggest something more like this. My edits are not great, just did them quickly to show how a tight crop can sometimes salvage an image.

Nov 02, 2016 at 02:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Boss302
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · College Football

timgangloff wrote:
These aren't terrible, but the crops are awkward (as I think Mike was alluding to in #1). Too much dead space on top and to the right on #1 and chopping feet is not great in the 2nd. It happens. Sometimes, it comes from being too tight. About the only way to fix them is to revist the crop. Since I don't have the originals or know what they look like, I'd suggest something more like this. My edits are not great, just did them quickly to show how a tight crop can sometimes salvage an image.

Thank you - I understand your point of the tight crop and the difference it can make. Revisiting these and practicing some various crops will help - I keep thinking to include the "environment" of the other players instead of focusing on what specifically the viewer would want to see what was happening- i.e. the helmet, ball, etc.

Nov 02, 2016 at 02:47 PM
mikekeating
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · College Football

That is the tight line to walk, make a powerful image or tell a story. The problem is that with the bigger images (not a tight crop) only the people that were there will know what happened / what you are trying to portray.

But a tighter crop of a great action shot, will have people wanting to learn more about the game.

I struggle with it all the time. Hence the reason I sometimes produce 2 versions of an image. One for me and one for my daughter, friends, fans in the stands etc.

Nov 02, 2016 at 02:56 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · College Football

I agree. When it's non-personal work that will go to the web, I just crop for mobile phone viewing. I don't like doing so but I know that's 85% of viewers will see my work. You can fight it but it's where we are and I feel I'm better off working with the format rather than against it. I think of myself as a Topps football card editor. That's essentially the format/size.

If I am shooting for a magazine or other large format publication or for myself, I'll change my crop and approach entirely.

Nov 02, 2016 at 03:40 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password