New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Any good? 300mm f/4d IF ED AF-S

cadman342001
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Any good? 300mm f/4d IF ED AF-S

Great lens, great IQ, takes a 1.7tc, I've had 3 and you can't go wrong although I would check serial numbers as I had a really old one that struggled to AF with the tc. As long as f4 is adequate, I upgraded to a f2.8 afs II which is even better but obviously bigger heavier and more expensive. but yeah, I suspect it's the 200-500 that is causing the large number of the f4 on the buy and sell.

Nov 04, 2016 at 12:09 AM
MikeW2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Any good? 300mm f/4d IF ED AF-S

The Nikon collar absolutely sucks. Other than that, a great lens.

Nov 04, 2016 at 12:21 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Any good? 300mm f/4d IF ED AF-S

What everyone said... but I'll add this...
The 300 f4 AFS-1 is a great bird in flight lens. While it lacks VR it balances beautifully in the hand and it is very easy to track subjects with he lens. It is optically close to a 300mm f/2.8 and plays well with converters. At half the price of the 200-500VR, it is a bargain... however, if you want the zoom range and need to get to 500mm instantly, the 200-500VR provides this in a package that does not require converters.

While the PF lens may be causing some of the current sell-off, I'll bet it is mostly due to many who now favor the 200-500VR over a single focal... give a bit in optics to gain a bit in flexibility.
cheers,
bruce

Nov 04, 2016 at 05:46 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.