FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Anyone using Manual on Camera Flash

deckitout
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using Manual on Camera Flash

When I recently changed from my X-pro-2 to XT2, I arrived at a Wedding and to my horror my Nissin i40 which worked fine on my XT1 and X-pro-2's failed to work due to a now well know firmware issue.

I had no option to revert to using my Yongnuo manual flash which I generally used for OCF for evening celebrations.

I have continued using the Yongnuo mainly bouncing flash and have found my exposures are far more consistent once you have your initial setting. I now have a base setting which gets me in the ball park and either a quick aperture change or power adjustment gets me the correct exposure.

Whilst there are disadvantages in spur of the moment instances I haven't found the inclination to pursue the TTL options (which are limited on Fuji) as I haven't found a huge disadvantage.

Does anyone here use manual on Camera flash as opposed to TTL?

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:33 AM
duet
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using Manual on Camera Flash

I always use manual.

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:40 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using Manual on Camera Flash

I use manual for anything except when my on camera is only light fill. In that case I sometimes use TTL.

I am not always consistent with my methods thought, so take it with a grain of salt.

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:51 AM
heikoM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using Manual on Camera Flash

only manual here, too.

heiko

Nov 02, 2016 at 07:51 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using Manual on Camera Flash

I did the exact same thing - switched to Fuji, used Yongnuo flashes in all manual, and was super happy for 3 years. Now I'm on Sony and have TTL flashes, but I find myself still shooting manual about 80-90% of the time.

Once you get it down, you can usually get the exposure pretty spot on during the first try, and it's way more consistent than TTL. TTL does have its moments, mostly during the unplanned/crazy moments that might sneak up on me. But for the majority of the time, manual for me.

Nov 02, 2016 at 08:21 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using Manual on Camera Flash

once you get used to manual flash, it's pretty easy to find TTL results less desirable.

Nov 02, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Doug Maclean
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using Manual on Camera Flash

I only use manual now.TTl gets fooled too much.When I use ttl and shoot into a flash.I get totally different exposures shot after shot.And with ttl you still need to do flash compensation anyway as it is not perfect.I shoot full manual and just ride the SS as light changes.Just works for me.Doug M

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:24 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using Manual on Camera Flash

deckitout wrote:
When I recently changed from my X-pro-2 to XT2, I arrived at a Wedding and to my horror my Nissin i40 which worked fine on my XT1 and X-pro-2's failed to work due to a now well know firmware issue.

I had no option to revert to using my Yongnuo manual flash which I generally used for OCF for evening celebrations.

I have continued using the Yongnuo mainly bouncing flash and have found my exposures are far more consistent once you have your initial setting. I now have a base setting which gets me in the ball park and either a quick
...Show more
I think the X-T2 FW update, soon to be released, will take care of the compatibility issues with the i40.

Edited on Nov 03, 2016 at 07:54 AM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2016 at 04:33 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone using Manual on Camera Flash

for dancing shots I use straight on nuke manual flash.
In the ultra rare occasion I need an on camera flash I am always in manual.
I think the last time I used a flash on camera for anything other than dancing was when I shot an event where I was doing a lot of quick group shots in a poorly lit banquet area.
Worked great. Much more consistent than TTL which IMO is complete crap.
TTL just gives random results all over the place. No thanks.

Nov 03, 2016 at 05:28 AM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone using Manual on Camera Flash

I'm in the same boat! Moved to fuji, having flash troubles. I like ttl for the quickness, but honestly I get the same amount of keepers (ie within the raw's ability to recover whichever way I screw up more) with manual as I did ttl.

Nov 03, 2016 at 05:36 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone using Manual on Camera Flash

I use ETTL for getting ready shots... particularly when I am doing group shots and need a little fill.
this will be in a bounce mode

The godox flash in TTL is not that great at times... so I jump over to manual.
I just don't like having to adjust for the distance shots at receptions.

So it is a mix for me ... depending on the shooting at hand.

-Mark

Nov 03, 2016 at 07:18 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password