Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit si...

greenfield

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

Hi,

I recently came across the following article: http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/07/25/fujifilm-x-pro2-grid-artefacts/
As I'm about to buy a X-T2 and doing often work in backlit situations, I wonder whether this could be a serious show stopper.
Any experiences about this problem?

Thanks

Nov 02, 2016 at 04:40 AM
stempsons
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

greenfield wrote:
Hi,

I recently came across the following article: http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/07/25/fujifilm-x-pro2-grid-artefacts/
As I'm about to buy a X-T2 and doing often work in backlit situations, I wonder whether this could be a serious show stopper.

Thanks

I've seen it one time on one image out of about 15 shot in the same session. I don't consider it a problem, since it's pretty rare for it to manifest.

Nov 02, 2016 at 04:59 AM
dakel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

Thousands of pictures under my belt and can't say I've noticed it. If I have I must've written it off as on oddity. I have heard that this same problem has been associated with at least one other mirrorless camera - reflections due to sensor cover or something like that.

Nov 02, 2016 at 05:06 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

I have seen this issue once when I was really pushing the the shadows to the maximum in an extreme shot, and the effect was quite subtle. I have seen this also with the Leica Monochrom, and M240, pushing RAW files in a similar way. I don't consider it to be an issue.

Nov 02, 2016 at 05:46 AM
Homo_erectus

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

greenfield wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

This will happen if you shoot directly into the sun, or if the sun is just outside the edge of the frame but is projecting light directly into the center of the frame. I've seen it on two pictures out of about 6000 taken on my X-Pro2. It was immediately apparent what was happening thanks to the HUGE purple flare and I took the pictures anyway just to see what they would look like. If you see HUGE purple flares in the EVF just tilt the frame around a bit until they go away.

edited to fix the description of when the problem will arise.

Nov 02, 2016 at 12:51 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

greenfield wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

The flare can happen with any camera when shooting a shaded subject with the camera pointed almost directly into the sun. (The photographer who wants to do something like this might want to employ a reflector or electronic flash on the subject.)

I've never seen the grid pattern mentioned in the article and I've shot x-trans sensor cameras for over four years, including over 10,000 frames on an XPro2.

Dan

Nov 02, 2016 at 03:06 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

The color purple has never been an issue for me.

Nov 02, 2016 at 05:48 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

I've noticed it several times, especially when over sharpened. I've only used LR, so I don't know if this an artifact of the Adobe camera raw algorithms. I haven't seen the flair issues reported by others. I can usually clean up the patterning artifact by judicious noise adjustment and smoothing.

dakel wrote:
Thousands of pictures under my belt and can't say I've noticed it. If I have I must've written it off as on oddity. I have heard that this same problem has been associated with at least one other mirrorless camera - reflections due to sensor cover or something like that.

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

dhachey wrote:
I've noticed it several times, especially when over sharpened. I've only used LR, so I don't know if this an artifact of the Adobe camera raw algorithms. I haven't seen the flair issues reported by others. I can usually clean up the patterning artifact by judicious noise adjustment and smoothing.

Having seen this on a few camera platforms, I suspect the Adobe algorithm is possibly at fault in part as it relates to the sharpening process under extreme conditions.

Nov 02, 2016 at 09:01 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

I'm traveling this week, but when I get home I'll try a couple programs I have. Anyone else have experience with other software?

charles.K wrote:
Having seen this on a few camera platforms, I suspect the Adobe algorithm is possibly at fault in part as it relates to the sharpening process under extreme conditions.

Nov 02, 2016 at 10:07 PM
greenfield

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

Thanks to all for the valuable feedback.
From what I read these artefacts and flares seem to be a minor issue.
Will go ahead and buy an X-T2.

Nov 03, 2016 at 04:22 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

This and the watercolor / worm effects aren't good IMO. Unfortunately these are serious show stoppers for me

Nov 04, 2016 at 09:02 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

Daan B wrote:
This and the watercolor / worm effects aren't good IMO. Unfortunately these are serious show stoppers for me

Of course, those of us who don't encounter "this and the watercolor / worm effects" find that the show goes on quite nicely.

Dan

Nov 04, 2016 at 12:12 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

The effects are real, but so far I haven't found them to be objectionable, as I can clean them up. As best I can tell they are related to over sharpening.

gdanmitchell wrote:
Of course, those of us who don't encounter "this and the watercolor / worm effects" find that the show goes on quite nicely.

Dan

Nov 04, 2016 at 01:22 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · X-Pro2/X-T2 grid artefacts and purple flare in backlit situations

dhachey wrote:
The effects are real, but so far I haven't found them to be objectionable, as I can clean them up. As best I can tell they are related to over sharpening.

I've shot x-trans cameras for over four years, so I'm pretty familiar with their performance, both pluses and minuses.

The so-called watercolor/worm effect is very rare, most likely to show up with dense, low contrast, and very detailed subjects, and then only when you look at the image at 100%. Even there, it doesn't always occur with such subjects. Do you regularly print at 20" x 30" and above from your Fujifilm files? If so, you might, maybe, someday encounter a print where if you look very closely you'll be able to find this, but more likely not. Hard to see how that is a "show stopper." It sure hasn't been for me.

The purple flare business is a complete new one to me. I've never seen it and I've made many tens of thousands of exposures on these cameras. I've never seen the strange pattern that the OP showed either.

No system is wholly free of artifacts and issues if you look closely enough and explore the outer fringes of image making. For example, I've gotten moire effects from cameras that have AA filtering!

If one likes the Fujifilm system as a whole, there really is little or nothing to worry about regarding these supposed issues.

Dan

Nov 04, 2016 at 01:51 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password