Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Is there a shorter lens hood that works on the 70-200 F4?

jamato8
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is there a shorter lens hood that works on the 70-200 F4?

As an example, I have always used the Canon 35L hood on my 135L. Works just fine, far less intrusive and besides being totally adequate as a hood, it also protects my front element, which is why I always use a hood as I don't use filters for that purpose.

Nov 01, 2016 at 09:03 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is there a shorter lens hood that works on the 70-200 F4?

Using a shorter hood for mechanical protection is fine, but that shorter hood will not give the same optical protection from lens flare issues caused by the sun or other intense light sources that are just outside the field of view of the lens. The manufacturer designs the hood to give as much protection as practical, and anything shorter is not the same.

Nov 02, 2016 at 10:59 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is there a shorter lens hood that works on the 70-200 F4?

I have used a rubber hood on mine when I didn't have much space, worked fine

Nov 02, 2016 at 11:01 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is there a shorter lens hood that works on the 70-200 F4?

That will work, but as noted above you lose a little of the resistance to flare and impact protection. Might be worth it to you, however. I'm not a fan of the rubber hoods, however, unless I'm desperate.

Nov 02, 2016 at 11:07 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is there a shorter lens hood that works on the 70-200 F4?

Collapsible rubber hoods are great.

If you are cheap and handy at DIY, you can make your own out of thick neoprene. Slide it back and forth as required.

Nov 02, 2016 at 11:51 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is there a shorter lens hood that works on the 70-200 F4?

Roland W wrote:
Using a shorter hood for mechanical protection is fine, but that shorter hood will not give the same optical protection from lens flare issues caused by the sun or other intense light sources that are just outside the field of view of the lens. The manufacturer designs the hood to give as much protection as practical, and anything shorter is not the same.

I realize this but it works as much as I need, to have a shorter one. I have used the 35L hood on the 135L for years and never had a problem and understand lens designs, optical etc. If I notice a problem, I use my hand for a little more cover.

Nov 02, 2016 at 02:37 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is there a shorter lens hood that works on the 70-200 F4?

jamato8 wrote:
I realize this but it works as much as I need, to have a shorter one. I have used the 35L hood on the 135L for years and never had a problem and understand lens designs, optical etc. If I notice a problem, I use my hand for a little more cover.

The more useful side of ths is that you can use larger hoods than those originally designed if you are using the lens on a crop sensor.

There used to be a site which listed all the hoods you could safely use on a lens depending on the format in use. I remember trying several with no issues.

Nov 02, 2016 at 03:24 PM
jmckayak
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is there a shorter lens hood that works on the 70-200 F4?

Buy an after-market 70-200 hood and cut it down, to the length that you want. Should cost about $10.

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:01 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is there a shorter lens hood that works on the 70-200 F4?

jmckayak wrote:
Buy an after-market 70-200 hood and cut it down, to the length that you want. Should cost about $10.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. I ordered one at the same time as the 70-200f4. Thank you for the input. It will be a smaller tulip. lol

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.