New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

I guess I'm done here.

OldListener

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I guess I'm done here.

I tried to start a thread today and found that I can't upload an image without joining "Upload & Sell" which costs money.

I see a button for inserting a link but that's not the same as inserting or attaching an image. I often want to insert/attach an image that is not already on some other website.

If I got to the point of using FredMiranda.com enough to warrant paying to post, I would. No chance that I'm going to do that now.

Nov 01, 2016 at 07:24 PM
OldListener

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I guess I'm done here.

I see that the quick reply box has a button for inserting a link to an image as opposed to a general URL. That is not convenient but it is better than the new thread box that has no button for an image URL.

Still not satisfactory.

Nov 01, 2016 at 07:33 PM
notherenow
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I guess I'm done here.

While there is a cost, it is not a very big cost and good value.

Nov 01, 2016 at 07:35 PM
OldListener

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I guess I'm done here.

$ 29 / year seems too high to me. I simply want to post a modest number of not large images from my computer.

Nov 01, 2016 at 08:25 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I guess I'm done here.

$29 is too much? Are you one of the Zero's FSW's? I'm sure we'll miss your august presence.

Nov 01, 2016 at 10:13 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I guess I'm done here.

Well if using a free link isn't good enough for you, and $29/year is too much for you, tough.

Go post your photos elsewhere.

Nov 02, 2016 at 03:23 AM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I guess I'm done here.

There are plenty of places that'll host an image for free. You can then post those here using an img element. I do this all the time...

Nov 02, 2016 at 05:50 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I guess I'm done here.

itai195 wrote:
There are plenty of places that'll host an image for free. You can then post those here using an img element. I do this all the time...

The OP already knows that: I often want to insert/attach an image that is not already on some other website.

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:03 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I guess I'm done here.

OldListener wrote:
$ 29 / year seems too high to me. I simply want to post a modest number of not large images from my computer.

It's really simple to use a free Microsoft OneDrive account, Google Drive account, or similar service to host the photos you'd like to share. Then you can just paste the links into your posts.

This is actually the normal practice for sharing pictures on the web; sites like FM that offer their own hosting plans (which is strictly optional and there as a convenience) are rare. So you are not being asked to do anything out of the ordinary to participate in this community.

If you get stuck, I'm sure other forum members will help you.

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:42 AM
VTXT
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I guess I'm done here.

ill gladly pay 30 a year to have intelligent talk with other enthusiasts and share examples and stuff.

Nov 02, 2016 at 01:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I guess I'm done here.

VTXT wrote:
ill gladly pay 30 a year to have intelligent talk with other enthusiasts and share examples and stuff.

Yup. Totally worth it esp if you also plan on using the B&S board with a huge photographer audience. Much better option over ebay and CL.

Nov 02, 2016 at 02:34 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I guess I'm done here.

Imagemaster wrote:
The OP already knows that:

So the complaint is simply about the $29, which you don't even have to pay to post images? What a weird complaint. Fred isn't running a charity.

Nov 02, 2016 at 02:54 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I guess I'm done here.

itai195 wrote:
So the complaint is simply about the $29, which you don't even have to pay to post images?

No, did you not read his first post?

He is ALSO complaining about the FREE method for posting his images to a link:

OldListener wrote:
I see a button for inserting a link but that's not the same as inserting or attaching an image. I often want to insert/attach an image that is not already on some other website.

Nov 02, 2016 at 03:28 PM
OldListener

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I guess I'm done here.

My comments made it clear that I was aware of the possibility of hosting images elsewhere and linking to them. I felt that it was not convenient if the image I wanted to include wasn't already on the web.

Maybe that concept of making posting convenient doesn't matter to any of you. It certainly makes a difference to me. I'll be much likely to post if I have to stop and upload an image to some other site, get a link and paste it here.

Hosting images that are inserted in forum posts is common on free forums. DP Review, mu-43.com and PhotoCamel host images and don't charge. Facebook hosts images too. Storage costs are very much lower now than they were 10 years ago. In practice, I have not found it necessary to pay to post images in forum threads. Most of the online world has moved on; FM hasn't.

There are thousands of services that want me to pay a regular subscription fee. I find it prudent to minimize the number of such expenses and choose them carefully. I stated that I might be willing to pay $ 29/year if FM became important enough. At this point, it isn't important enough.

I already have a Flickr account. However, Flickr does not make it easy to get a direct link to an image. The directions for doing so that I have seen are quite involved. Another FM member sent me a PM offering to send instructions for getting a link to a Flickr image. That was a positive act unlike the dismissive replies some of you made. I also have a SmugMug account which I use to combine text and images to describe nature oriented outings to our local and online friends. I do not want to turn my SmugMug account into a junkbox of random photos used elsewhere. I have a dropbox account but need to keep it for exchanging material for projects.

Nov 03, 2016 at 02:52 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I guess I'm done here.

Since your initial post, and the title of this thread were dismissive, why would you expect to receive postive comments?

If you find other sites are better than this site, then move on. You are obviously the small minority. The vast majority of us like this site just the way it is.

Nov 03, 2016 at 03:03 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I guess I'm done here.

OldListener wrote:
My comments made it clear that I was aware of the possibility of hosting images elsewhere and linking to them. I felt that it was not convenient if the image I wanted to include wasn't already on the web.

Maybe that concept of making posting convenient doesn't matter to any of you. It certainly makes a difference to me. I'll be much likely to post if I have to stop and upload an image to some other site, get a link and paste it here.

Hosting images that are inserted in forum posts is common on free forums. DP Review, mu-43.com and
...Show more

Can you explain what is hard about copying links from Flickr?

Nov 03, 2016 at 08:34 AM
String
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I guess I'm done here.

OldListener wrote:
I already have a Flickr account. However, Flickr does not make it easy to get a direct link to an image. The directions for doing so that I have seen are quite involved. Another FM member sent me a PM offering to send instructions for getting a link to a Flickr image. That was a positive act unlike the dismissive replies some of you made. I also have a SmugMug account which I use to combine text and images to describe nature oriented outings to our local and online friends. I do not want to turn my SmugMug account into
...Show more

So you have both a Flickr (too hard to get a link) and Smugmug (dont want to mess it up) accounts but still dont want to use them? The problem isn't FM, the problem is you dont want to take the time to properly learn to use the tools you already have.

Setting up both Flickr and Smugmug would take less time than it took you to make these rants so I'm not really sure what you expected for a response.

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:58 PM
OldListener

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I guess I'm done here.

I wrote a rather mild OP and followups. I seemed to have touched a FM fanboy nerve.

Nov 03, 2016 at 02:26 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I guess I'm done here.

OldListener wrote:
I wrote a rather mild OP and followups. I seemed to have touched a FM fanboy nerve.

You can't seem to grasp the concept that just about everyone here, except you, are FM fanboys.

Just because you are too lazy to use the options available to you is nobody else's fault.

Nov 03, 2016 at 06:16 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I guess I'm done here.

OldListener wrote:

You did in fact put it mildly, in fact - to your credit.

If you are interested in the Buy and Sell, it seems fair value. I'm glad that this is a viable enterprise for Fred. Running a site such as this is pretty expensive I imagine, both in terms of money spent and in time dedicated.

It can be looked at the other way around, how marvelous it is to have a forum such as this for FREE. Here you are reading and opining ... for free ... on Fred Miranda's idea, time, energy and dedication. Pretty freaking awesome bargain, in that light, is it not?

I want the Man to make money. I want the site here next year, and the decade after. And he deserves a tip, for putting up with the likes of some of us here, when we have a bad humor day.

So, yes it could be even better. He could provide everything free, and also easy. Perhaps coffee and honey buns too. Since he isn't providing any refreshments for free, while he works six jobs to do it, and I'm really pissed about that - I'll see you at your new Forum. Please make sure the coffee is hot. I like it with cream.

Now that's all said in humor. C'mon, chill a bit and enjoy this place.

Nov 03, 2016 at 06:25 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password